Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,370,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Interested to see all your economic recovery predictions by month, as you requested from a previous post.
My predictions are right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
My predictions?
The economy will continue to recover - in fact the recovery will pick up steam and by the end of the year the U-3 unemployment rate will be below 9%. By the end of 2011 it will be below 7% - maybe as low as 6.5% and by 2012 it will be below 6% and in the "normal" range.

There will be some mild inflation as the economy recovers, but it will be quickly tamed by the Fed raising interest rates slow enough so as to not take pull the rug out from under the recovery.

Home prices will rise this year in most locations across the country. The rise will be modest, but it WILL be a rise - and the backlog of unsold home will be slowly eaten up over the next year and a half.

All in all, things will look pretty well 2 years from now - as they will 3 years from now.

Beyond that - who knows?

Ken
Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You don't get the point? Adding a probable 3 million more foreclosures this year as well.
Is that the formula in your opinion for a recovery. Simply question, why be a smart a$$.
No I don't.
What's your point - that payroll INCREASED by 162,000 last month and that January - which was intially thought to have had 26,000 job losses - actually had 14,000 JOBS GAINED and that February - which was originally thought to have had 36,000 job losses actually only had 14,000 - which means that of the last 3 months, 2 of the 3 months actually showed a GAIN in jobs?
Is that your point?

So yeah - THAT is the formula for a RECOVERY.
The bankruptcies ARE a problem - as are the foreclosed homes, but BOTH of those problems will be solved by JOBS.
And jobs are now starting to appear - even your OWN link indicates that.

Ken

Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,724 times
Quote:
No I don't.
What's your point - that payroll INCREASED by 162,000 last month and that January - which was intially thought to have had 26,000 job losses - actually had 14,000 JOBS GAINED and that February - which was originally thought to have had 36,000 job losses actually only had 14,000 - which means that of the last 3 months, 2 of the 3 months actually showed a GAIN in jobs?
Is that your point?

So yeah - THAT is the formula for a RECOVERY.
The bankruptcies ARE a problem - as are the foreclosed homes, but BOTH of those problems will be solved by JOBS.
And jobs are now starting to appear - even your OWN link indicates that.

Ken
you answered part of the question, now as you stated in post #37 to summers73, requesting month by months predictions, yours are?
I am sure you would not ask him to do something you wouldn't do yourself.

Also 48,000 jobs were temp census workers, and 39,000 gov't jobs. Real jobs for the long haul?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'm looking forward to laughing in every one of your blind optimistic faces in just a few short months. Keep in mind that "you want the US to fail" is not an allowable retort for someone who predicts doom and gloom and ends up being right. You have to sit down, shut up and listen to me say "I told you so".
Oh, fabulous. Another person who's hoping and praying for total devastation of his or her own country. Anything to say "I was right," eh?

Just...ill.

And yes, "You want the U.S. to fail" IS an allowable retort. Whether right or wrong in the end, wishing gleefully for one's own country to literally fold right up says a whole hell of a lot more about you than it does about anything or anyone else.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And yes, "You want the U.S. to fail" IS an allowable retort.
Nope, it's not allowed when one was right all along. Can't have it both ways.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,724 times
I don't think anyone wants the US to fail. Some of us just trying to be realists, and question the remarks by some self appointed economic and financial gurus, that only have best guess like the rest of us.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Nope, it's not allowed when one was right all along. Can't have it both ways.
Yes, indeed, it is still "allowed" since the intent for the nation to curl up and die was there. It doesn't matter whether one ends up being "right" about it. That happy, cheery "We're goin' DOWN attitude" is inexcusable, period.

If I sit there and say, "I hope you get cancer. I hope you get cancer. I hope you get cancer" to someone who is smoking or is eating nitrites or works near a nuke plant, that doesn't make me less of a hideous human being if the person does indeed, God forbid, get cancer.

And what's this "have it both ways" thing? Have *what* both ways? What a weird statement.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone wants the US to fail. Some of us just trying to be realists, and question the remarks by some self appointed economic and financial gurus, that only have best guess like the rest of us.
Exactly. The retort of "you want the US to fail" is just sour grapes for failing to be realistic.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
you answered part of the question, now as you stated in post #37 to summers73, requesting month by months predictions, yours are?
I am sure you would not ask him to do something you wouldn't do yourself.
Regarding Summer73's post - I wasn't the one who said "in a few short months" was I? I wanted to know "what months?". As it turns out when push comes to shove suddenly he's talking "years" not months.

I've been very upfront with my predictions:

I said back in April of 2009 that the stock market was heading up - and it has. In fact I even made a specific prediction and HERE it is (from 8/21/2009):

Quote:
PS -

I WILL predict the DOW will be above 10,000 by the end of the year, and that the S&P will be above 1,100 and the NASDQ above 2,100.

How's that?

Ken

PS - What's YOUR prediction for those?
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...9-500-a-7.html

Last fall I said quite clearly MANY TIMES "there will be job growth in the spring" - and that's EXACTLY what's happened.

Quote:
Also 48,000 jobs were temp census workers, and 39,000 gov't jobs. Real jobs for the long haul?
Yes - 162,000 - 39,000 - 48,000 = 75,000 jobs for the long haul.
And that number WILL go up from here.

Ken

Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, indeed, it is still "allowed"
Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies