Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Of course not. Do you have a car? Do you know how insurance works?
Well who picks up the difference between what you paid in and what is paid out..it's not the tooth fairy...it's YOU the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 AM

326 posts, read 429,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well who picks up the difference between what you paid in and what is paid out..it's not the tooth fairy...it's YOU the taxpayer.
So what you are suggesting is higher UI taxes I believe. Might make sense after the cloud is settled.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Do you know what they say about people who answer a question with a question?
That they are British?

Yank: "Why do you Brits always answer a question with a question?"
Brit: "Do we really?"

Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Keep up the good work Malamute. See the other thread. 484K more people decided to taste the sweet life of laziness and handouts. It pays to be lazy. It is disgusting to live in a country where almost 10% of the population demands handouts.

Get rid of the unemployment insurance and everyone would have jobs now.
Yes, because many would then have to take lower paying jobs when they think they are entitled to $40 an hour jobs. They might decide working for $18 an hour is horrible but they might just have to do it.

Why would many dream about working hard for a liiving now when unemployment pays them considerably more than a hard work job would pay?

It's very foolish that some people are paid very well - and actually given more money than many people earn from working.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So what you are suggesting is higher UI taxes I believe. Might make sense after the cloud is settled.

Since I have never been on unemployment, it certainly wouldn't be fair to make me pay more for something that only benefits some. But maybe the unemployed when they are working again should be made to repay some of the money they took out.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM

171 posts, read 212,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, because many would then have to take lower paying jobs when they think they are entitled to $40 an hour jobs. They might decide working for $18 an hour is horrible but they might just have to do it.

Why would many dream about working hard for a liiving now when unemployment pays them considerably more than a hard work job would pay?

It's very foolish that some people are paid very well - and actually given more money than many people earn from working.

Unemployment is based on what they are used to making, nobody's getting paid more to sit home. Stop over exaggerating!! Yes, people that pay thousands of dollars to go to college so they can have a better pay should expect more!! And, getting paid less means a lot. It means a different lifestyle. It's means if your kids are in private school; they have to go to the failing public school. That means you might have to live in a bad neighborhood - verses a better neighborhood for your children. I'm just curious did u lose your job? What adjustments did you make? Lower paying job? moved?

It's always easier said then done!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Exactly. I don't get these people. 484K more lazy folks decided to go on vacation last month. Now imagine that. At a time when so many $18 an hour jobs are available.

These folks would rather get their $400 check instead of making $720 a week and just sit in the couch. Makes too much sense for them as they are lazy.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Since I have never been on unemployment, it certainly wouldn't be fair to make me pay more for something that only benefits some. But maybe the unemployed when they are working again should be made to repay some of the money they took out.
See that is the same thing I am telling to my car insurance company. Since I have never had any accident, it is not fair I have to pay insurance.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

$400/wk is $10/hr, full time. Unfortunately, at that end of the pay scale, many jobs are part time.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
See that is the same thing I am telling to my car insurance company. Since I have never had any accident, it is not fair I have to pay insurance.
Unemployment should be a temporary safety net, not a lifestyle. There is no justification to pay people 99+ and + and + months of it. If their high paying job isn't coming back, it's time they face the reality and accept they may need to work for less.

Or how long do you think an economy with workers making $8 or $10 an hour can go on paying the former $40 and $60 an hour workers to sit around doing nothing?

The non-working should not have a higher standard of living than the working middle class. Or do you believe in slavery where the slaves do all the work and the masters live in high style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies