Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcallis View Post
Unemployment is based on what they are used to making, nobody's getting paid more to sit home. Stop over exaggerating!! Yes, people that pay thousands of dollars to go to college so they can have a better pay should expect more!! And, getting paid less means a lot. It means a different lifestyle. It's means if your kids are in private school; they have to go to the failing public school. That means you might have to live in a bad neighborhood - verses a better neighborhood for your children. I'm just curious did u lose your job? What adjustments did you make? Lower paying job? moved?

It's always easier said then done!!
Quote:
Unemployment is based on what they are used to making,
only up to a certain point.....make payout here in NY is 405 a week....equals out to a 10/hr job......people who were making 40/hr will only get 25% of what they were making......people who were making 10/hr would only get about 200/week (50% pay, with a max of 405/week)

the FACT is that there are 100's of thousands of jobs outthere.......almost every place is hiring.....but....many of these people sitting and collecting right now, are not WILLING to get a job that didnt pay like their old job USED TO.

the 40 million jobs that have been lost since 1993 and all the 'free-trade' agreements are NEVER coming back.........do you think that companies like General Electric(GE) headquartered in Connecticut are actually going to STOP making things in mexico/maylasia and start manufacturing in the costly (corporate tax/propert tax/electric rates and pay)USA......it isnt going to happen.....we went from a manufatcturing country to a managering country...and you only need so many managers.......

get used to retail or food service......sorry but those are the facts....unless you get a government job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
$400/wk is $10/hr, full time. Unfortunately, at that end of the pay scale, many jobs are part time.
I know -- but that's the reality. It would have been better if the government didn't do the NAFTA and other "free trade" deals where the middle class jobs were exported, but it did -- so now what?

Just pay people forever to not work?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardonaye View Post
I feel Right. Which beats warm and tingly any day.

Of course you do. You're always right; it's everyone else that is wrong.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I do not know of any $40/hr unemployed workers that are getting anywhere near that in unemployment. $40/hr is $1600 per week gross and about $1000 net. If unemployment pays $700 what is the point of remaining unemployed on purpose? People are unemployed because of off shoring of industry and other structural changes such as using robots for hard labor jobs.

This is just another thread blaming the victims for being assaulted by a merciless economy.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM

326 posts, read 429,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Unemployment should be a temporary safety net, not a lifestyle. There is no justification to pay people 99+ and + and + months of it. If their high paying job isn't coming back, it's time they face the reality and accept they may need to work for less.

Or how long do you think an economy with workers making $8 or $10 an hour can go on paying the former $40 and $60 an hour workers to sit around doing nothing?

The non-working should not have a higher standard of living than the working middle class. Or do you believe in slavery where the slaves do all the work and the masters live in high style?
I agree. It is not like people are having difficulty to find jobs out there. Plenty of fish in the sea. Those former $40 - $60 workers are enjoying their cool up to $10 an hour benefits while the rest is struggling.

You hit it right on the nail. We should never call them unemployed. That is not a right term. They are simply non-working. Had we continued the 6 month max without any extensions, we would have full employment right now.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Malamute - By your own words "pretending to look for work" and "cheating a little with outside cash jobs". This guy is committing FRAUD. FRAUD is a felony. By ignoring, or even laughing at, this guy you are aiding an abbetting in the crime. Do you duty and help the law nail this clown.

I would have turned this guy in to the authorities as soon as I figured this out. I would take any reward offered.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know -- but that's the reality. It would have been better if the government didn't do the NAFTA and other "free trade" deals where the middle class jobs were exported, but it did -- so now what?

Just pay people forever to not work?
Well, I don't have all the answers. I'm just sayin', $400/wk may not be enough to keep some people from looking, while it may suit others just fine.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
I have heard so many people complaining about "I will not take a job that pays less than 10$-15$ hour!" Tons of calls were made to a local radio station the other day when the topic was jobs with people expressing the same sentiment. Oh please- like those people are so much better than 10$ hour. If you want a 10$ hour job you must get the education to back it up- people without YEARS of a skilled trade or without a degree just dont deserve 10$/hour. Min wage is already too high and is part of the reason why cost of everything is up.

I have no problem with providing unemployment for say 6mths, but after that it should be stopped. There is no reason why someone should be able to withdraw on unemployment benefits for a year or more

Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Wow, holy over generalization bat man. People who get unemployment are across the spectrum of jobs, salaries, and education. I love watching people champion a straw man argument about it to justify how they feel. People who are personally affected by getting "right sized" (Dilbert Euphemism) have more of a thought that it's a lifeline, a net while they can go out and recover. Those who have never used it and hate paying anything to it, just portray everyone who needs it as lazy scoundrels that mooch everything possible.

There are certainly people who abuse it, just like there are people who abuse everything. As you tighten your grip to squeeze out the people who demand hand outs, you squeeze out the people who need hand ups. Considering the number of people who are out of work now, the incidentals of handing out a little bit more to people to find a way to game the system to all those in need is low. Those who do game it tend to be high profile, but very small numbers because of all the mechanisms to prevent it (usually caught as they go to the extreme of milking the system).

Oh, and people who scream that the economy is not better now so it's a losing proposition. "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it". It has taken many years of economic hardship to turn the economy around, who said a multi-trillion dollar economic engine and investment can turn on a dime? So far it has been one of the shortest bear markets to the bottom, but still severe (Four Historic Bad Bear Markets | RECESSION.ORG (http://recession.org/library/graphs/four-historic-bad-bear-markets - broken link)).

Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Seren77 - If we discontinued unemployment we would not have full employment but even more unemployed as the goods and services bought by the unemployed were no longer made or sold. More jobs would not appear because the market would not grow but settle into a permenant state of maximal depression. This may be ideal for the owners but is not for the rest of us.

I have seen far more FOR LEASE signs than HELP WANTED in my neighborhood. Even the lousy ($8/hr part time with no benefits) jobs are scarce. Good jobs ($50/hr programmer or manager) are nonexistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies