Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,972 times

Advertisements

Sigh, people are so dumb.

In my country we don't use the N word, because it's just not part of our culture, we never had any slaves brought from Africa.

The way the Negro slaves where abused is an extremely shameful part of human history, the continuation of the racism is disgusting.

The ridiculous complaints of white people who don't understand why they can't use the N word while black people can, make me want to scream.

I 'get it' without having to have it explained to me, because I'm not stupid.

When a black calls another black the N word it is SATIRE.

A white cannot call a black the N word and be satirical - it would only be ABUSE.

Tell that to your ignorant white friends.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
I don't want to use it. I do, however, want to see the racial double standards go away. When blacks get a get out of jail free card whenever they call someone "hon-ey" of "cra-ker" it's utterly disgusting. And until these double standards go away then I honestly don't care if white people choose to use the word or not. Blacks aren't exempt from ethics and morals. Get real. If you call me a racial epithet, don't be upset if I call you one as well.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:10 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Can we just go right ahead and say ****** instead of euphimising it to "n-word." Everytime someone says "n-word" it forces the person listening to say it. Everyone knows what you're talking about, it's okay to say ******. Take some responsibility. You can't have a serious discussion about the subject if you're not going to own up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug
It isn't satire, it's a culture idiom.

Quote:
A white cannot call a black the N word and be satirical - it would only be ABUSE.
You don't watch much comedy, do you? A word is only "hurtful" if it is intended to be in that manner. Usage of a word for any other purpose than to not hurt someone would be--not hurtful.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Sigh, people are so dumb.
This is true.

In my country we don't use the N word, because it's just not part of our culture, we never had any slaves brought from Africa.
You may not use it, but I guarantee you there are people who DO.

The way the Negro slaves where abused is an extremely shameful part of human history, the continuation of the racism is disgusting.
Chattel slavery is still going on in Africa. And yes, it's a shameful thing!

The ridiculous complaints of white people who don't understand why they can't use the N word while black people can, make me want to scream.
Here's where we begin to veer off into LaaLaa Land.

I 'get it' without having to have it explained to me, because I'm not stupid.
But everybody else is stupid...

In your opinion, maybe. The truth is that it's just stupid.

Stupid, yes. Ignorant? Likely. Abusive? Not necessarily.

Tell that to your ignorant white friends.
And you be sure to carry some tidbits of wisdom to your ignorant black friends.
Haughty never looked so pretty.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 AM

494 posts, read 890,681 times
To the OP: I am not one of "your peeps" or one of "your people" despite the fact that I am caucasian. Your "kind" of people are apparently racists and I think you're just trying to stir up trouble here. I wouldn't be one of your people of you paid me.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:48 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
You don't have to look very far to find the individual that makes it obvious and "in your face" "I am a N-Thug" Loud in public, speaking "ebonic" language, over-dressed in "Thugwear", pants around the knees, grabbing their crotch as they walk, nice thick gold chain necklaces, grills on the teeth, driving a "donk-wheeled" car that thumps loudly every note from the sound system. Is that what the Black community wants every one in the world to think? That this is what we as a community have to offer as our offspring and family members? Nice!! Black America needs to get it together, get out of the old way of thinking, that the Black community is destin to live with the "old school" mentality. That we will always be descriminated against. Keep the "old school" attitude and the world will too. It is a big new world out there and every social structure, world wide, needs to step up to the plate and move forward. Those that lag, will be stuck in the past mentaly and fall with it. Keep blaming the white man/America for all the crime, drugs, unemployment, under educated and living on government assistance in the community. WAKE Up!!!!!! and act and enforce the community.
Living in a predominantly black neighborhood, in the black part of Omaha, I see the things you describe every day. For the most part, it's no big deal. We're talking about fads - passing preferences. And though I'm not at all into the "donk look", there are some of those cars that show incredible workmanship!

Unfortunately, however, there are many urban blacks who choose (and I use that term liberally) to wallow in self pity, race blaming, and poor choices. The divide and dichotomy has never before been so apparent and obvious. From the same family, one brother will choose to finish high school, go to college and get a good job. A different brother chooses the life of the gang-banger, and gets shot dead - at the age of 23 - at 3:00 AM.

Today's urban blacks are facing choices like never before. They are literally surrounded by opportunities for success. But they have to choose and pursue those opportunities. Fortunately, many are!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Why would I want to call anyone anything because of the color of their wrapping paper?

Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
I have not read a recently printed edition of Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn. I wonder if the censors have had their way with these works? Mayhaps I will make a trip to the library and take a peek, and have my son check the books out from the school library. I remember my teachers in grammar school reading to us from these books, and saying that dreaded word, so, should that be ...illegal...now?

Last edited by NVplumber; 04-17-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why would I want to call anyone anything because of the color of their wrapping paper?
That's why we have names for colors in our language. So we can distinguish things like bell peppers and traffic lights. We can tell summer from winter by the earth's "wrapping paper". What you put on this morning is "wrapping paper" and you will be judged all day by your choice. (If you're going to say skin color is not a "choice", then don't call it wrapping paper.)

I don't know if you've ever noticed this before, but people whose "wrapping paper" is the same color have a tendency to gather together socially, and adopt certain cultural behaviors. I didn't ask them to do that, they just do. To deny that that occurs would seem kind of irrational.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's why we have names for colors in our language. So we can distinguish things like bell peppers and traffic lights. We can tell summer from winter by the earth's "wrapping paper". What you put on this morning is "wrapping paper" and you will be judged all day by your choice. (If you're going to say skin color is not a "choice", then don't call it wrapping paper.)

I don't know if you've ever noticed this before, but people whose "wrapping paper" is the same color have a tendency to gather together socially, and adopt certain cultural behaviors. I didn't ask them to do that, they just do. To deny that that occurs would seem kind of irrational.
To me, they are all just people. I base any opinion of them on their personal actions, not really on whether they have cream or brown skin, blue or brown eyes, blond or black or brown hair. Yes, certain appearances, cultural behaviors, and 'styles' invoke a certain first impression; but race (as in skin color) never has for me. It's always been what they do, not how much melanin they were born with.

I guess I'm just alien in that regard. Style, looks, race, and in general, appearance has never meant much of anything substantial to me. Likewise, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me if it's going to be based on anything other than my own actions.

None of us really asked for our race, gender, looks, etc. I don't really know how others feel about this, but if I'd been asked beforehand about those intrinsic qualities, I'd have been born a far different person than I am. So, I see no reason to judge anyone based on any of those qualities, since we have no real control over them.

Going back to the OP. I certainly call people derogatory names (I especially have problem with this when I'm driving or listening to jerks going by with loud stereos or annoying diesel trucks). But, again, it's not racial slurs that come out of my mouth. It's never because they are a certain race, type, or class of people. It's based solely on their PERSONAL actions or deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies