Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,972 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by TumbleBug
Sigh, people are so dumb.
This is true.

In my country we don't use the N word, because it's just not part of our culture, we never had any slaves brought from Africa.
You may not use it, but I guarantee you there are people who DO.
I doubt you could find even one who uses the term throughout their lives.

The way the Negro slaves where abused is an extremely shameful part of human history, the continuation of the racism is disgusting.
Chattel slavery is still going on in Africa. And yes, it's a shameful thing!
Glad we agree on something.

The ridiculous complaints of white people who don't understand why they can't use the N word while black people can, make me want to scream.
Here's where we begin to veer off into LaaLaa Land.
But still worth your rebuttal hey?

I 'get it' without having to have it explained to me, because I'm not stupid.
But everybody else is stupid...
Whites that are interested in calling African Americans the N word and have difficulty understanding why they cannot are stupid compared to me. Yes I am smarter than them. Sorry, I can't help that fact.

When a black calls another black the N word it is SATIRE.
In your opinion, maybe. The truth is that it's just stupid.
No, it's more complex than that, if you cannot argue intelligently then do not argue.

A white cannot call a black the N word and be satirical - it would only be ABUSE.
Stupid, yes. Ignorant? Likely. Abusive? Not necessarily.
So slavery is shameful? (remember we agreed earlier?) Was it not abusive too? Wasn't the whole use of the N word used to abuse and denigrate the slaves and remind them of their place?
It's abuse, pure and simple, minimising it is WRONG.

Tell that to your ignorant white friends.
And you be sure to carry some tidbits of wisdom to your ignorant black friends.

What am I supposed to tell them? They know idiots exist.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,005 times
This much disagreement over the use of a verbal insult suggests we are a long way from becoming "color-blind".

Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
As a White guy, I don't use the word n***er in public, what I do at home is my business. I could care less what black guys call each other. But, from my perspective, When black guys do this they sound like a bunch of morons. Kinda like White guys sayin, "Wus up my cracker?" Sound about right?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
LOL!!! Majority/Minority, somebody has an inferiority complex, pathetic.....smdh

Your correct and the black should get over it. Equal treatment is the American way.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
So, I have been wondering this for a little while. The whole n__ word argument was blown out of proportion some years back. Black leaders (whoever and whereever they are) and Bill Cosby, supposedly were trying to ban the word, telling people not to use it. Anywho, I would always hear whites saying, "well, I can't use that word, I can't say that, only you can". They would complain that they don't know when to use it, who to use it to, where, all that. Whites, that I know personally, and my boss, specifically said, "the word shouldn't be allowed to be used, it is a hurtful word and it has a horrible history".

Now, I understand and agree that the word has a horrible history, but whocares?? Why do white people want to be able to say this word?? That is what I don't understand. What is the big deal?? And why because white people "can't" say it (they can say what they want really), should the word be banned from existence?? Also, of all the issues in the black community to give a damn about, why this one??

Thanks, my white peeps )
I've never used it, nor any of the other names people use to denigrate people, whether its names like rag-head, fatso, freckle-face or racial slurs. Even when I was a kid i did not engage in name calling or bullying. I remember chiming in with the crowd to call some kid names in 2nd or 3rd grade, but while I was doing it I felt like an imbecile, and went over and apologized to the kid afterward, and never did it again.

To me, it like rating a girl you just met from 1-10, if she lit up a cigarette I knocked off a few points; its the same when I meet someone and then hear them use some racial slur or other name meant to denigrate a person for something that could not control.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Don't want to use it, don't care to use it...but I care even less for someone trying to tell me what I can or can't say...especially if it's something that's ok for one person but not another.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
The question is "why does anyone want to use that word"? What is the purpose of it?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
This much disagreement over the use of a verbal insult suggests we are a long way from becoming "color-blind".
It always has been that way. Take a couple world history courses to see this recurring theme throughout mankind. It will never change - at least not universally. Of course there are some communities that have somewhat harmonious racial relations, but ultimately if you look at the whole, the macro, if you will, there is no real racial harmony. It's kind of human nature. Just look at you typical school lunchroom to see what I mean. People naturally self-segregate; right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because there are some people, under some circumstances, for whom it is the best word available to describe them. If that were not the case, black people would not use the word, either.
I'd agree with that. My momma used to call me 'white trash' on those occasions when I acted like 'white trash'. Okay... she called me that every day. And yeah, mom was a racist.

I preferred the term 'cannon fodder'. Puts us all on equal footing.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Ehh, I'll say any word I want and know you can't ban such things. I won't go out of my way to ever say anything to people I know it will offend, that's just manners. There is no power in a sound that comes out of your mouth, people just like to pretend there is so they can get all upset and yell and scream. I think lot's of people like to do that for fun because their lives are tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies