Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And yet, few, if any, in NJ are willing to give up the 'home rule' that has created all of these mini-fiefdoms (see attached link) all with their own governments, school systems (including superintendents), etc.

The town that I lived in NJ was 3/4 of a square mile, had all of ~7000 residents and yet, we still had our own police dept., school district (elementary, JHS and HS), crazy high property taxes because the town has no ratables, and still no one would discuss merging any of these services with another (larger) town. My son's graduating HS class had all of 52 kids.

The NJEA is an easy target because no one wants to do the real 'dirty' work and consolidate because people want to keep being able to say that their town has a 16/1 student-teacher ratio (as it is in my old town).

Oh well, when the varsity football programs are cut, I expect people may feel a little differently.

List of school districts in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think consolidation is on its way. Rightfully so.

Poll finds New Jerseyans support consolidating municipalities as a way to cut costs | - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
For the first time in 34 years. The People are awakening to the corrupt influence of Public Unions.

NJ voters reject majority of school budgets for first time in 34 years | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
Unions had their day. their day has passed. the no longer speak for the common member .

Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times
Unions need to hold their teachers accountable. If someone doesn't do their job, they lose protection. Unions should be there when kids and parents make unfounded accusations (which they do) or the district tries to mess with teachers (which they do)

People need to pay teachers what they're worth, and in the world of latchkey kids, and increasing standards, teachers have to do more, with more kids and are getting less resources in the classroom.

Both sides are flawed and need to make compromises. Plain and simple.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:01 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Unions need to hold their teachers accountable. If someone doesn't do their job, they lose protection. Unions should be there when kids and parents make unfounded accusations (which they do) or the district tries to mess with teachers (which they do)

People need to pay teachers what they're worth, and in the world of latchkey kids, and increasing standards, teachers have to do more, with more kids and are getting less resources in the classroom.

Both sides are flawed and need to make compromises. Plain and simple.
I do not understand a district "messing with teachers".

What would that encompass?

Most of the time its the teachers messing with the districts for higher pay and more perks; including Tenure which is a complete joke.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM

63 posts, read 136,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Sparta teachers took a pay freeze and are paying toward health care as Christie wanted and their town still didn't pass the budget. For all those who believed that if only teachers would take a pay freeze we wouldn't have to lay off teachers. I'm betting those teachers in Sparta are sorry they took a pay freeze.
80% of all budgets that took wage freezes were PASSED. The people there were most likely happy that the teachers are willing to 'take one for the team' as it were. The sad part is that it's not the teachers that are the issue - it's the bloat in the school administration that's the real problem, with several dozen or more administrators making more money than the governor of the state!

While taking a wage freeze wouldn't stop *all* teachers from losing their jobs it may have stopped *some* teachers from losing their jobs in that district. Isn't losing less jobs better then losing more of them? Seems the Union is really letting those teachers down - why are they even paying dues? I am saddened that any teacher will lose their job but taking a pay freeze/paying into their benefits may have stopped the number of those losing their jobs from being as high as it is.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I do not understand a district "messing with teachers".

What would that encompass?

Most of the time its the teachers messing with the districts for higher pay and more perks; including Tenure which is a complete joke.
Well, in AZ I don't even know if there is tenure, if there is its weak. You have to sign a contract for each upcoming year. But I have seen teachers get reassigned to cover things they aren't certified for, nor would they have stayed in their job had they known, after they signed their contract (breach of contract involved a fine of a thousand dollars).

Also lets add in there, that if we want teachers to be held more accountable, then we should do the same to parents. If kids don't do the work, they aren't reinforcing the learning and most don't have a prayer of passing the test.

Accountability needs to be raised on all sides.

Last edited by odinloki1; 04-22-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
You can have a fialign pubic school system and fight every change to change it will out consequences in the end. teachers seem obvious as to what they really have supported. Time to take the systeback form them and treat them like employees they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies