Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When your wrist tendons are sliced through, it will make it pretty hard to hold a gun, much less fire it.

And if I stab you in the neck, will you use your normal gun hand for the gun, or to try to stem the flow of blood?

please TK, you are not superman, nor a master of knife fighting. if the person is holding 2 pistols while you are trying to cut his tendons in 1 hand, he will just shoot you with the other pistol.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'm not a knife fighter. Can you draw your gun before I can hit you? Or can I hit you several times in the amount of time it takes to draw your gun?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
I'm not a knife fighter. Can you draw your gun before I can hit you? Or can I hit you several times in the amount of time it takes to draw your gun?

with my wrist holster, I can draw a derringer and shoot you with 2 357 magnum rounds in less than 1 second at a range of 5 yards.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:

Again, you know nothing about this. Hitting someone doesn't matter. You can hit the gun holder all you want. 15 shots to the head won't make much difference if they shoot you in the chest. Controlling the weapon is what's important. They can't shoot you with a gun they don't control.

And someone looking for a fight isn't going to have a holstered gun.

And people can cover about 5 feet in 1 second. That's not a lot. Someone decent with a gun can draw and fire in that amount of time.

Stop using movies as your frame of reference.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Let's stick to the subject...

Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I have never seen a movie where a guy has been punched in the throat. I have seen it in real life. I was the one that did it. He couldn't even speak.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have to draw half the time. Half the time I have a double action revolver in my pocket, I could shoot through the pocket if desperate enough.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ahh, so one form of protecting your life and property is "common sense" and the other is "paranoia." Interesting.

I see owning and carrying a gun as just another form of insurance. I hope I never have to use it, just as I hope to never have to use any other insurance policy, but if I do ever need it, I'll be very glad it's there - just as with any other insurance policy.

If you don't want to own or carry a gun, that's great. Most don't. But I don't claim that you're "paranoid" or lacking in "common sense" just because I didn't make the same decision. To each their own, and I respect your choice. Why don't you respect mine?
I do own a gun, by the way. I grew up around guns and learned to respect them. I also learned to handle conflict without violence and can say that it saved my life several years ago. I have car insurance because I live in Idaho and it's inevitable that I'm going to get a rock in my windshield every so often. I have life insurance because it's inevitable that I'm going to die one day. It is not inevitable, or even likely, that I will ever need to be involved in a shoot out. If I am, well, I guess it's good that I have life insurance. We obviously have different views on this issue. I'm sorry you feel that I don't respect you. Please don't shoot me.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
City restrictions were often contested and rightly so. Back then, cites were extremely small and the local constable was more capable of keeping the peace concerning law violators. Even then, those towns which instituted them were often a point of contest with their blanket laws. One might be able to make an argument back then in a small town, but today there is no foundation for such.

Fast forward to today and the police have no clue who is in the city or how dangerous they are. They do not check everyone who enters the city insuring they do not carry while in town, it is impractical to even think it possible. Due to this, it is reasonable for an individual to expect they can carry within the city in order to insure their own protection which can not be provided by the police, as you mentioned with an example.

As for "private" establishments, this is within the bounds of the property holders rights to determine who they do business with and how it will be conducted. It is practical to expect that you may not be allowed to carry within a certain business, not so in a city as I explained. They are simply too large to govern with any reasonable efficiency within this manner. As is often stated, only the law abiding citizens end up defenseless in such requirements which results in the law abiding suffering at the hands of criminals that abuse them.
In my city, Washington DC, you don't carry. Leave your weapons at home.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
In my city, Washington DC, you don't carry. Leave your weapons at home.
And your city is safer for that right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies