Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Saying things like you would slice tendons with a knife or punch someone in the throat who is carrying a gun makes you full of BS. I've taught self-defense courses, and you're full of it.
If you've taught self defense courses, then you know these things are possible.

I haven't claimed to be a skilled knife artist--but one who was could do exactly as I had pointed out. I could--and have done so--punch people in their throat. On more than one occasion, and you're going to deny it ever happens?

I call BS on you.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
No, not an expert, just very fast and very accurate.
And there's a difference in being a member of SWAT--who actually go out and perform their missions, and a member of GSG-9, who train extensively but rarely get called to use their skills.

I've had to defend myself. On a regular basis.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you've taught self defense courses, then you know these things are possible.

I haven't claimed to be a skilled knife artist--but one who was could do exactly as I had pointed out. I could--and have done so--punch people in their throat. On more than one occasion, and you're going to deny it ever happens?

I call BS on you.

Can it happen? Sure.

In a fight with an armed person? Not likely. You'll end up with bullets in you. And if you had any knowledge of knife work at all, you'd know that even a "skilled knife artist" would have a great deal of trouble slicing an armed person's tendons or throat before being shot. It looks good in the movies, but in real life, it's laughable.

You're not going to be able to punch someone in the throat faster than they can pull a trigger. Period.

In a real self-defense situation, incapacitating the attacker is secondary to controlling the weapon.

Stop watching so many movies and learn some real-life techniques if you want to be a pretend Internet ninja.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Can it happen? Sure.

In a fight with an armed person? Not likely. You'll end up with bullets in you. And if you had any knowledge of knife work at all, you'd know that even a "skilled knife artist" would have a great deal of trouble slicing an armed person's tendons or throat before being shot. It looks good in the movies, but in real life, it's laughable.

You're not going to be able to punch someone in the throat faster than they can pull a trigger. Period.

In a real self-defense situation, incapacitating the attacker is secondary to controlling the weapon.

Stop watching so many movies and learn some real-life techniques if you want to be a pretend Internet ninja.
If they have it in their hand? Probably not. But most people who are armed still have the gun in the holster. Can I react faster than you can draw it, being unarmed? Yes--I can.

Then again, if someone has a gun, can someone else draw and fire before being shot? Nope.

I admit to not being a knife artist...I've already admitted that. I don't know precisely what someone skilled with the weapon would be capable of, but I have no doubt that it would surprise me--or any gun owner.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
I've had to defend myself. On a regular basis.
Why is that, tk? I'm not talking about your dad roughing you up. As an adult, why have you been in so many fights?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
If they have it in their hand? Probably not. But most people who are armed still have the gun in the holster. Can I react faster than you can draw it, being unarmed? Yes--I can.

Then again, if someone has a gun, can someone else draw and fire before being shot? Nope.

That depends on far too many variable to make an unequivocal statement like that.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why is that, tk? I'm not talking about your dad roughing you up. As an adult, why have you been in so many fights?
I don't know. For some reason, people that are over 6 feet and 200 pounds see me as an easy target. They learn otherwise.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know. For some reason, people that are over 6 feet and 200 pounds see me as an easy target. They learn otherwise.

Perhaps you should stop blaming other people and look inward for the source of the problem?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
That depends on far too many variable to make an unequivocal statement like that.
Not really. If you just open fire from 25 feet away without warning, of course I wouldn't close the distance, but people who want to attack you generally want to get close to you. Perhaps they want your wallet, and then intend to shoot you. If you're within ten feet, I can close the distance and strike you before you can draw. I'm going for the knees or the throat--every single time. Going for the groin? that's actually not a good idea, since it is an ingrained reflex for men to protect that area.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you should stop blaming other people and look inward for the source of the problem?
I'm not to blame for bullies, or child abusers.

Sorry. I don't have a problem with low confidence or poor self-image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies