Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM

857 posts, read 2,001,964 times

Advertisements

Fellow liberals, what are your opinions on guns and gun control?

I'm about as left as they come - and I have full respect for the second amendment and the right to own firearms. On my list of important political and social issues, I'd say gun control ranks pretty close to the bottom.
I'd also say that most other liberals I know feel the same.

I see lots of terms like "gun-hating liberal" thrown around at will. I think it's important to make folks realize this is just a right-wing strawman used to persuade single (or few) issue voters who otherwise might vote democrat.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post

I'm about as left as they come - and I have full respect for the second amendment and the right to own firearms. On my list of important political and social issues, I'd say gun control ranks pretty close to the bottom.

I see lots of terms like "gun-hating liberal" thrown around at will. I think it's important to make folks realize this is just a right-wing strawman used to persuade single (or few) issue voters who otherwise might vote democrat.

thoughts?

I'm all for the 2nd amendment. I'm a Constitution mark, big time. The only reason I don't own a gun is the inevitablity of my shooting my big toe off.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM

1,089 posts, read 655,026 times
Quote:

thoughts?
I totally agree, it's the NRA, which is really a gun lobby, that stoke the fires. Which causes guns and ammo to go flying off the shelves.

I personally would not own a gun, but I think people have that right.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
I'm 100% for guns for any responsible citizen who can afford them.

I do think limits should be placed on what type of firearms one has. The second amendment was made so that people could protect themselves against outside threats. It came at a time when a large standing army wasn't wanted, so we relied on militias to protect the country from outside threats.

However, we have changed things a bit since then. Now we do have a large standing army to protect us against outside threats. Not everyone needs to be able to buy a mini gun for deer hunting, sorry.

I also think that limits should be placed on private sales. You've got to have a background check for a sale from a gun shop, that standard should be done with private sales also.

Also, I think a law should be passed, saying that if you are convicted of a crime with a gun, any crime, then your right to bear arms is over, done with. So if some idiot is out in the woods shooting up a cell tower (yes, this happens), and police find them, their guns should be taken from them, and they should never be allowed to buy guns again, period.

Thats where I stand on guns. I'm flexible though, I'll agree to lots of moving with my stance, if it helps protect my fellow citizens from idiots with guns.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
I dont think its a liberal-vs- non liberal thing

I think its a non-common sense thing

the anti-gun people (and yes many are liberals) never can figure out that they are hurting the law abiding citizens, because crooks/criminals/scum dont care about the laws or restrictions on getting a gun

Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,336 times
Quote:

thoughts?
I'm a liberal, I live in the country, I own guns. I oppose gun control laws..

The difference between myself and the RW gun freaks is that I look upon a gun as nothing more than another tool. Not some weird extension of my manhood..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I dont think its a liberal-vs- non liberal thing

I think its a non-common sense thing

the anti-gun people (and yes many are liberals) never can figure out that they are hurting the law abiding citizens, because crooks/criminals/scum dont care about the laws or restrictions on getting a gun
Most "crooks/criminals/scum" buy their guns on a person to person basis.

If you make it a crime to sale person to person, without a proper background check, it would make it a crime to sell a crook/criminal/scum a gun.

As the law stands now, I can sell a felon a gun. Its illegal for him to buy it, but its not illegal for me to sell it to him. Well, all I have to say is "I didn't know he was a felon" and I'm off the hook.

If you make that a crime, it'd make it much harder for criminals to buy weapons.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most "crooks/criminals/scum" buy their guns on a person to person basis.

If you make it a crime to sale person to person, without a proper background check, it would make it a crime to sell a crook/criminal/scum a gun.

As the law stands now, I can sell a felon a gun. Its illegal for him to buy it, but its not illegal for me to sell it to him. Well, all I have to say is "I didn't know he was a felon" and I'm off the hook.

If you make that a crime, it'd make it much harder for criminals to buy weapons.
huh???

your post makes no sense

under NY law it would take me 3-6 months to buy a gun, go throught the background check, the balistics registration, the licence fees, etc..........or I can go down the corner and buy out of somebodies trunk (totally ILLEGAL).....which do you think a crook/criminal/scum is going to do???

you get the point...the 'laws' we impose only hurt/makeit harder the LEGAL BUYER, to lawabiding coitizen.....crooks will get it from somewhere else......

Quote:
If you make that a crime, it'd make it much harder for criminals to buy weapons
no it wont...the crook will get one...with no problem...you are just making it harder on the law abiding citizen

do you see why I said """"the anti-gun people (and yes many are liberals) never can figure out that they are hurting the law abiding citizens, because crooks/criminals/scum dont care about the laws or restrictions on getting a gun """

Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
huh???

your post makes no sense

under NY law it would take me 3-6 months to buy a gun, go throught the background check, the balistics registration, the licence fees, etc..........or I can go down the corner and buy out of somebodies trunk (totally ILLEGAL).....which do you think a crook/criminal/scum is going to do???

you get the point...the 'laws' we impose only hurt/makeit harder the LEGAL BUYER, to lawabiding coitizen.....crooks will get it from somewhere else......
You don't know all of the gun laws.

You don't have to perform a background check for a person to person sell. Gun shop to person sell, yes.

Ever hear of the "gun show loop hole"? Thats what they are discussing. In other words, I, as a private citizen can sell you any gun I own, anywhere, anytime. No background check, no nothing.

That should be stopped, because thats why its legal to sell criminals guns. Make it illegal to sell guns to anyone without a background check.

See what I'm talking about?

The term "Gun Show Loophole" refers to laws that allow private individuals "not engaged in the business" of dealing firearms to sell guns at gun shows without conducting background checks on purchasers or maintaining records of sale. The term has been in use since at least 1996, when the Violence Policy Center used it in a published study.

Gun show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Memphis1979; 05-06-2010 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
I'm a liberal and I've owned guns nearly my entire life. My dad is an avid hunter and marksman and I was involved in the 4H shooting sports group for nearly 10 years.

I'm not sure if I'm okay with a gun free for all for all citizens though.... I went through a lot of training before I was able to shoot a gun. It does bother me, however, that there are a LOT of people who wouldn't hesitate pulling out a gun and shooting someone because of a silly argument.

I guess there's really not much you can do about that though... buying a gun is ridiculously easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies