Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
The reason Liberals have the label of being anti-gun is because virtually every anti-gun bill ever instituted or brought up to be passed has been by Liberals. There are very, very few Liberal politicians who are pro-gun. All of you Liberals who have posted here as being pro-gun seem to be in the minority and as you vote for the anti-gun Liberals, I see this as a real conflict. Yes, I know the gun issue is not every thing one should consider when voting but it is just one of the major things I consider when voting.
I thought HW Bush was an enemy of the gun owner. Wasn't he pushing for stricter gun control laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,829 times
Preface: I identify with myself as a libertarian, though am a registered republican. I own guns. People call me a right winged, gun toting redneck.
---
All of the liberal types that I know and converse with on any regular basis are not die-hard gun control advocates. Most don't care for gun control at all, some think people should have the right to own guns but do want some stricter regulation in certain areas.

The bulk of the anti-gun hysteria comes from liberals, but being a liberal does not automatically make one anti-gun, I don't think - so when I am speaking with someone about gun control and those who wish to infringe on our rights, I refer to them as "antis" or "the brady bunch".

Every once in a while the term "liberal weenie" (or you can replace weenie with other words such as asshat, moonbat, etc) slips, but it is in reference to someone specific and they've done someone else to earn the title.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Please,

List the anti gun liberal politicians, and cite where they said they are against guns.
Please, the list would be prohibitivly too long starting with virtually everyone in the current administration. Every one of them at one point or another has stated an anti-gun objective. If you truly don't know this, you are really out of touch.
Look up the voting records of:
Diane Feinstein
Charles Schumer
Bill Clinton
Barack Obama
Nancy Pelosi
Herry Reid
Barbara Boxer
And on, and on and on...

Here's a good place to start your research:
http://www.ontheissues.org/CA/Nancy_Pelosi.htm

Last edited by jeepejeep; 05-06-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I thought HW Bush was an enemy of the gun owner. Wasn't he pushing for stricter gun control laws.
Oh there are very few Republicans who are anti-gun but I'm not talking Republican vs Democrat. I'm talking about Liberals. They are in both parties.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Please, the list would be prohibitivly too long starting with virtually everyone in the current administration. Every one of them at one point or another has stated an anti-gun objective. If you truly don't know this, you are really out of touch.
Look up the voting records of:
Diane Feinstein
Charles Schumer
Bill Clinton
Barack Obama
Nancy Pelosi
Herry Reid
Barbara Boxer
And on, and on and on...

Here's a good place to start your research:
Nancy Pelosi on the Issues
These people are not against gun ownership.

I think you need to define "anti-gun". To me it would mean a person is 100% against private gun ownership.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
I'm not really liberal, I actually identify as a moderate Democrat, but I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd amendment and own several guns myself.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Preface: I identify with myself as a libertarian, though am a registered republican. I own guns. People call me a right winged, gun toting redneck.
---
All of the liberal types that I know and converse with on any regular basis are not die-hard gun control advocates. Most don't care for gun control at all, some think people should have the right to own guns but do want some stricter regulation in certain areas.

The bulk of the anti-gun hysteria comes from liberals, but being a liberal does not automatically make one anti-gun, I don't think - so when I am speaking with someone about gun control and those who wish to infringe on our rights, I refer to them as "antis" or "the brady bunch".

Every once in a while the term "liberal weenie" (or you can replace weenie with other words such as asshat, moonbat, etc) slips, but it is in reference to someone specific and they've done someone else to earn the title.
I'll preface mine as well, that I am of a libertarian mindset, also known as a Classical Liberal.
---
I think we could narrow down the origins of anti-gun hysteria that we see even further. I'd wager most of it is from city slickers who have grown up in cities. Oftentimes the only exposure to firearms these people have had will be through the news media reporting on the misuse of firearms. Unless they grew up in a family that owned firearms for a legitimate purpose, they likely never encountered a "good" firearm except that on a Peace Officer's hip.

City slickers tend to be more liberal than country folks, so that would explain why most of the anti-gun stuff comes from liberals.

Northern New England is very liberal, but we have some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country. People in Vermont don't need any sort of permit to carry either openly or concealed. People in Maine or New Hampshire can carry openly without a permit, but need a permit to conceal; both are "shall issue" states.

This partisan nonsense is just that. People are trying to identify people based on their political party and make assumptions to their beliefs. We're all individuals here, and not one of us is of one accord on every matter.

At any rate, I think the issue of gun rights is more of a city vs country thing than it is a Democrat/Republican or Left/Right thing.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
I don't own a gun and have fired only one in my lifetime. I come from a family of fishermen, not hunters.

Second amendment issues aren't much of a concern of mine, but I do believe if the owner of an establishment does not want firearms in his place, concealed or not, then he has every right to ask the arms-bearer to leave it at the door or go somewhere else. In this case property rights trump the second amendment.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, let's list the laws liberals passed: the National Firearms Act (1934), the Gun Control Act (1968), liberals attached the machinegun ban to FOPA in 1986, liberals passed the so-called "Assault Weapons Ban," the Brady Bill, the Lautenberg Amendment, the federal Gun Free School Zones Act...
NFA - Provided strict control of things like machine guns, suppressors and explosives.

GCA - Prohibited gun ownership by criminals and the mentally ill.

I agree that the assault weapons ban was a bunch of bull**** (and the Democrats got the message when it resulted in a political bloodbath) but the other two are pretty much common sense laws and I support them even if they are not perfect.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
NFA - Provided strict control of things like machine guns, suppressors and explosives.

GCA - Prohibited gun ownership by criminals and the mentally ill.

I agree that the assault weapons ban was a bunch of bull**** (and the Democrats got the message when it resulted in a political bloodbath) but the other two are pretty much common sense laws and I support them even if they are not perfect.
NFA: made common weapons only possible to own for the rich at the time. It originally included handguns but that was eliminated in the final version (but they left in the SBS and SBR rules that intended to forbid people from making handguns from rifles or shotguns). We can thank this law for the massacres at Waco and Ruby Ridge and virtually every other abuse the ATF has perpetrated.

GCA: created the "sporting purposes" clause, totally unconstitutional, made things harder to acquire (many forget that ammo had to originally be bought with a 4473 like guns)...

The second amendment says "shall not be infringed," and it's not about "sporting purposes." Those laws have effectively stopped American citizens from being equally armed to the average federal soldier as the second amendment intended. They're abominations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies