Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
I usually don't entertain such ignorance, but where did the law that says you can't kill people come from? Islam? Where did the law saying you can't steal other people's property come from? Islam once again? Where did the adultry laws come from? Again Islam? Where did the acceptance to practice WHATEVER religion you wanted to come from? Shall I list Islam again for this one too? Keep going down the list of basic laws, they ALL originate from Judeo Christian philosophies.
Prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
The Laws of the United States are based primarily on English common law.

Law of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Common law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, since when has Palin based anything upon historical fact?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
I thought America's laws were based on the constitution
Ok, I'll bite. What laws might those be?

It seems to me that the Laws of the United States traced their origins to British Common Law and the Magna Carta more than anything found in the Bible.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
I usually don't entertain such ignorance,
So what do you do with yourself when you are bored?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Let's get back to the point. Since you seem to have jumped in to support the idea that all of America's laws are based on the bible, let's see you prove it with regard to anything in my post.
You suggested that the poster didn't know anything about the Electoral College so I took it that you were an authority on that subject and that you would know about how Washington voted. If you are going to continue to avoid the question I will take it for granted that you don't know.

Jack, I would never say that about our laws. Obamacare alone proves that not to be true. Just the part that demands all people have health insurance is enough to disqualify that statement from you.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Would you care to tell me all the things that you know to prove that George Washington was a deist and not a Christian? I would surely like to see your proof.
I haven't got the slightest clue about what George Washington's religious beliefs or lack thereof has to do with the topic. Washington was President of the Constitutional Convention, which as I pointed out to you previously was about as important as Al Gore being President of the Senate. He was also the President of the United States, not Moses of the United States.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You suggested that the poster didn't know anything about the Electoral College so I took it that you were an authority on that subject and that you would know about how Washington voted. If you are going to continue to avoid the question I will take it for granted that you don't know.

Jack, I would never say that about our laws. Obamacare alone proves that not to be true. Just the part that demands all people have health insurance is enough to disqualify that statement from you.
In other words, you're just trolling.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ms. Palin has finally jumped the shark by announcing the we should "Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant - they're quite clear - that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the ten commandments."

Sarah Palin: American Law Should Be 'Based On The God Of The Bible And The Ten Commandments'

The amazing thing is that no matter how many times she makes moronic statements like this that reinforce the image of her being totally clueless and unqualified to hold high public office, her followers will blindly continue to paraise and support her.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
I always wonder how anyone can say that the early founders were anything but Christian. Take these words of John Adams, who followed Washington as President about our government.

“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion John Adams

“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”

John Adams

I am sure that one of these quotes from Adams fits progressive reasoning but what about the other. Progressives don't want people to know he ever said that one.

I would like to suggest that both statements are very true but either one alone is just a little truth.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
Why not add in all the punishments found in the bible? Let's see, what are the more insane things punishable by death...

Marrying a woman who is not a virgin, and pretty much all premarital activities
Blasphemy
Working on the Sabbath (too bad if you have a heart attack on Sunday)
Cursing or not obeying your parents, even being stubborn.
Apostasy (being in a town where most people don't worship the "approved" version of god)
Lying in any way, or not following the verdict of a judge
Being uncircumcised
Consuming blood (often taken to include rare meat)

That's just old testament as well!

Get into the rest and you get some weird stuff.

Eating fat
Planting more then one type of seed in a field
Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth
Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales
For women, speaking in church
Cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard

Why stop there if people believe it's the word of god? If you accept one set, and ignore others, isn't that a bit crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies