Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM

412 posts, read 405,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
News Flash to the uninformed:

America's laws ARE ALREADY based on the 10 commandments.
Nope. The "freedom of religion" thing pretty thoroughly negates the "thou shalt have no other god than me" and "thou shalt not make idols" commandments. Freedom of speech goes against the "thou shalt not take God's name in vain" commandment. There's no government law mandating I "keep the sabbath holy", nor is there any law requiring me to "honor thy father and thy mother" (I do anyways, but not because there is a ten commandments-based law against it). Lying and adultery are certainly considered unethical in our society, but only some states have laws against adultery, and as long as it's not in court or to government officials, you can usually get away with lying without legal repercussions. Murder and stealing are universal wrongs not exclusive to the ten commandments.

Last edited by WatermelonRat; 05-10-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,083,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Another News Flash:

The The Supreme Court building has a number of places where there are images of Moses with the Ten Commandments. As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door and a display of the Ten Commandments is also engraved over the chair of the Chief Justice. Also in the House chamber, above the Gallery door, stands a marble relief of Moses, surrounded by twenty-two other lawgivers.
Did you notice that on Moses' right is Confucius and to his left Solon the Greek statesman?

Herman A. McNeil the sculptor of the facade this about his work:
"law as an element of civilization was normally and naturally derived or inherited in this country from former civilizations. The Eastern Pediment of the SUpreme Court Building suggest therefore the treatment of such fundamental laws and precept as derived from the East. Moses, Confucius and Solon are chosen as representing three great civilization and form the central group of this Pediment."

Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,444,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I always wonder how anyone can say that the early founders were anything but Christian. Take these words of John Adams, who followed Washington as President about our government.

“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion John Adams

“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”

John Adams

I am sure that one of these quotes from Adams fits progressive reasoning but what about the other. Progressives don't want people to know he ever said that one.

I would like to suggest that both statements are very true but either one alone is just a little truth.
Wow Roy! I am so impressed. You've discovered that you can quote examples of a person stating fact and stating opinions! Did you notice that he said, "nation", and not the US in particular? Which furter reinforces the fact that this is the opinion of a religious man.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 PM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
News Flash to the uninformed:

America's laws ARE ALREADY based on the 10 commandments.
Wow...... People like this seriously make me want to

Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I haven't got the slightest clue about what George Washington's religious beliefs or lack thereof has to do with the topic. Washington was President of the Constitutional Convention, which as I pointed out to you previously was about as important as Al Gore being President of the Senate. He was also the President of the United States, not Moses of the United States.
Washington was the one reason for victory in the Revolution. He kept what army he had through the first 3 years together when not one other man in the colonies could have done so.

Washington, as the Chairman of the Constitutional Convention kept that group going when probably nobody else could have done it. Yes, he wanted to be back home on his farm but was almost forced, by his belief in the people who supported him in the Revolution, to accept that position when implored to do so by the other leaders of the group.

If he had chosen to do so he would have been proclaimed King of the US because of the feeling of most people in the colonies but he refused to be even treated at all like that.

Now if you knew diddly about what Washington said from time to time about his Heavenly Father you would understand that he surely used his faith in God during his 8 years of the Presidency. Can you come up with some of the more famous quotes of the man that prove that he didn't believe in God? Hit it prog.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
In other words, you're just trolling.

Thanks.
No, Jack I am trying to prove that you don't know much about the early days of the Electoral College and so far you have ducked enough to make my statement look pretty good.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Washington, as the Chairman of the Constitutional Convention kept that group going when probably nobody else could have done it.
An argument simply not supported by the historical record.

Quote:
Can you come up with some of the more famous quotes of the man that prove that he didn't believe in God? Hit it prog.
What part of I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T do you not understand?

There were 55 different individuals involved in crafting the U.S. Constitution, shall we divine each one's religious philosophies in order to settle what ever question you seem to be stuck on?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Why not add in all the punishments found in the bible? Let's see, what are the more insane things punishable by death...

Marrying a woman who is not a virgin, and pretty much all premarital activities
Blasphemy
Working on the Sabbath (too bad if you have a heart attack on Sunday)
Cursing or not obeying your parents, even being stubborn.
Apostasy (being in a town where most people don't worship the "approved" version of god)
Lying in any way, or not following the verdict of a judge
Being uncircumcised
Consuming blood (often taken to include rare meat)

That's just old testament as well!

Get into the rest and you get some weird stuff.

Eating fat
Planting more then one type of seed in a field
Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth
Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales
For women, speaking in church
Cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard

Why stop there if people believe it's the word of god? If you accept one set, and ignore others, isn't that a bit crazy?
I sure didn't know that your biblical rules were ever written into law in the US. Why do you bring up those things when you know they may have fit in the days of the Biblical story but just don't today? Oh, yeah you are trying to prove that what HuffPo said about Palin is really what she said.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Wow Roy! I am so impressed. You've discovered that you can quote examples of a person stating fact and stating opinions! Did you notice that he said, "nation", and not the US in particular? Which furter reinforces the fact that this is the opinion of a religious man.
Did you just say that the second President of the US was a religious man and that he thought that Biblical teachings were needed to govern the US? Naw, that isn't what you meant, I hope.

Twist and spin, as you will, but you can't call Adams a deist with that kind of talk.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
what HuffPo said about Palin is really what she said.
Watch it on YouTube, she said it on FauxNews with Bill O'Reilly.

YouTube - Palin: America Is a Christian Nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies