Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Decrease the size of the military?
Yes, decrease it now, get out of the wars today 53 64.63%
Lower it after the wars are over 16 19.51%
No, keep it at its current size, we are the worlds police afterall 13 15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Someone needs to be the world's police, who would you rather have doing it?
Yep, Lets keep spending like drunken sailors to stay the worlds top super power.

When we could spend HALF of what we do now, and still be the worlds top super power.

How long can we afford to keep spending at the same level? Sooner or later, we'll be out of money, if we don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep, 5%, yep.
Lol.

Our GDP is over $14.5 trillion. The total budget for FY 2010 is $3.5 trillion. Our entire budget is around 22% of GDP. Sorry, but you are confusing terminology and interpreting those charts incorrectly.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In order to answer the poll I need some answers.
1. Do we intend to reduce their work load?
2. Do we continue to be used as the main arm of the UN?
3. Do we stop politicians from adding pork to the military budget?
4. Are we going to sacrfice training and equip maintenance to make up for the spending cuts as we did under Clinton?
1. Yes, decrease the work load. We can't be everyones savior, all the time. In reality we aren't. If we were going to invade every country with a whacked out dictator, or where genocide is occurring, we'd be in a whole lot more wars than we are now.

2. I would think not. If the UN wants to go to war, lets only make up 25% of the total force, instead of 50 to 75%.

3. Abso-freakin-lutely

4. No, you lower the current size of manpower by 25%. With the savings of on keeping that 25% in, logistics, food, training, etc, we could afford to keep the remaining forces in top form.

I don't support pay cuts to the military, I just don't think we need one the size we have now.

The F-35 is supposed to keep our air power top rated for the next 40 years.

Most large scale wars are focused on air power. We should only need ground troops for invasion, and we shouldn't be invading anyone, unless they invaded us, or an ally.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
No, it would be a bad mistake to cut military spending at this time. Its not like we could just leave Iraq and Afghanistan in short order.

If the federal budget has to be cut, cutting social spending would "save" far more. Social Security spending itself is nine times more then ALL military spending combined. Cutting military spending rarely saves much.

I image this isn't what the original poster was aiming for.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
If these are the choices
Yes, decrease it now, get out of the wars today
Lower it after the wars are over
No, keep it at its current size, we are the worlds police afterall
then my reaction is, none of the above.

Had the poll been simply "yes, no, and I don't know", without the commentary, I would have voted yes.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It needs to be cut somewhere, at some point. The percentage we spend now is beyond rediculous.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
1. Yes, decrease the work load. We can't be everyones savior, all the time. In reality we aren't. If we were going to invade every country with a whacked out dictator, or where genocide is occurring, we'd be in a whole lot more wars than we are now.

2. I would think not. If the UN wants to go to war, lets only make up 25% of the total force, instead of 50 to 75%.

3. Abso-freakin-lutely

4. No, you lower the current size of manpower by 25%. With the savings of on keeping that 25% in, logistics, food, training, etc, we could afford to keep the remaining forces in top form.

I don't support pay cuts to the military, I just don't think we need one the size we have now.

The F-35 is supposed to keep our air power top rated for the next 40 years.

Most large scale wars are focused on air power. We should only need ground troops for invasion, and we shouldn't be invading anyone, unless they invaded us, or an ally.
Solid post...
In the past we have seen cuts. These cuts did not reflect a reduced work load.
The UN. A burden at best and an absolute waste at worst. Not only do we foot a large% of the bill but are expected to supply materials and weapons and man power often on missions that have no hope of success. Worse still we place our troops under foreign command.
I question why we man S.Korea's border but find it impossible to secure our own southern border.
The F-35 is a great Idea but falls short as an air superiority fighter.
I agree with just about everything you said. Unfortunately our elected reps will decide that we need a new golf course or a new road or 7 new tricked out jets for them to fly around in.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:

If we are serious about balancing the budget, why not decrease the size of the military, and our military spending. I'd feel safe with spending twice as much as China, wouldn't you?

we spend more on welfare and medicaid than we do on the military

medicaid it self was 298 billion this past year

welfare and food stamps was over 690 billion

the military budget 610 billion

cut welfare before you cut the military

Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Working class hero, right.

We spend 10 times as much as the next country.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Source? Then we discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies