Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

I don't care what someone else eats as long as they don't try to force it on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Yup. I don't either.

I think if some people are rude to a vegetarian about it, they may consider it a pre-emptive strike...

The only way it would bother me is if it begin to effect sales. It hasn't yet. I raise beef. Yummy, tasty beef.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I consider myself a 'pseudo vegetarian/vegan'. I go through periods where I am completely vegan or vegetarian, then I'll eat bbq or have myself a chicken sandwich. No real need on my part, it just sorta happens

I grew up in the livestock industry and I've seen some pretty nasty stuff. I only buy meat that is locally and humanely raised (I actually drive by the cattle ranch where I purchase my free range organic antibiotic-free beef from) and I purchase the majority of the veggies I eat from an organic farm (which I also pass on the way to work) that involves zero machinery but instead subsides on volunteer work in exchange for cheaper food.

I'm definitely not a 'holier than thou' person, but I do what I can to be as environmentally safe as possible and that includes a mostly vegetarian diet.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM

180 posts, read 202,733 times
Why is a vegetarian diet more environmentally safe than my diet? That's the "I'm better than you" attitude that makes vegetarians seem like elitists snobs.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I recall a girl I dated in college telling me that she denied a guy a second date when she found out he was a vegetarian. The sissy-factor was far more than she could tolerate. The feminization of men is perpetuated by concepts such as vegetarianism and veganism, and further propogated by the increasing presence of girly-men (ie. homosexuals) in our society. It seems that most women still want a manly man, just the way it should be.
What on earth has vegetarianism got to do with manliness ?!?
Probably almost half of the world's population is vegetarian . That's a lot of "sissies" out there, most procreating just fine and doing hard physical labour and "macho" living just like those other "manly" men who rip raw meat with their teeth in so called "manly" ways.

How utterly ridiculous to imply that vegetarian men are less manly or less attractive to women. A manly man is one who is secure enough in his own sexuality and his own sense of self to do what he wants not what is pushed on him by men with a skewed and twisted idea of the male "ideal".

There is nothing manly about someone who is so worried about his buddies will think that he can't even chose what to eat... or think. Being a man is about a little more than showing off to the rest of the tribe. This ridiculous statement shows how weak those who believe themselves so strong actually are.

I'm a woman and what a man eats is pretty darn low on my list of priorities.

What a man does, how he conducts himself, how he treats others, what he thinks , his intellect, his sense of humour etc... are damn sight more important. Who cares whether a man choses not to eat meat ?

It does not make him any less of a man, any less strong, any less sexy. It's a food choice for goodness sake !

I love meat, I used to hunt and I am most definitely an omnivore.

Vegetarianism is not for me. But I could not care less what others do or in fact what they think of me because of those choices.

Manliness indeed.

I think it is pretty stupid and not terribly manly to judge someone by their gastronomic choices.

You seem to mix manly with identi-kit males, all followers rather than leaders.

If you need meat to be considered manly then there is something seriously amiss there... I think the protein overload is starting to have some kind of negative impact on the brain. Maybe a few veggies, lentils and pulses would help to redress the balance !

Old 05-20-2010, 10:50 AM

180 posts, read 202,733 times
I have to agree that what someone eats has nothing to do with what type of person they are inside. I do have to say, however, that all the vegans I know are paper thin, so I can see how some people would get the idea that they are less physical than someone beefier. I am very thin and suffer from that stereotype by some people.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If you choose a diet heavy in meat without a balance of fruit and vegetables, you will likely get your wish, around 65. However, when you do approach 65, you may change your desires. Hopefully, for you, in time.
Fine by me. I really don't see the point in living past 70, for me personally.

Oh, I do eat a lot of vegetables and fruit though. I love most foods.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
I have to agree that what someone eats has nothing to do with what type of person they are inside. I do have to say, however, that all the vegans I know are paper thin, so I can see how some people would get the idea that they are less physical than someone beefier. I am very thin and suffer from that stereotype by some people.
I know a LOT of vegans and vegetarians. I live in CA, what do you expect?
My hubby's Mother is currently a Vegan yoga teacher and she's VERY VERY in tune with what she puts into her body and she's in absolutely AMAZING shape for a 60 something year old woman.

The vegans and veggies I know are all in great shape and most are involved in some sort of athletic endeavor such as running marathons, riding bicycles competitively or something of that effect.

I think a lot of vegans simply don't know what to eat or how to balance their nutrition out. Here in CA, there are a LOT of resources for veggies so I think it may be easier to get balanced food intake.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What on earth has vegetarianism got to do with manliness ?!?
Probably almost half of the world's population is vegetarian . That's a lot of "sissies" out there, most procreating just fine and doing hard physical labour and "macho" living just like those other "manly" men who rip raw meat with their teeth in so called "manly" ways.

How utterly ridiculous to imply that vegetarian men are less manly or less attractive to women. A manly man is one who is secure enough in his own sexuality and his own sense of self to do what he wants not what is pushed on him by men with a skewed and twisted idea of the male "ideal".

There is nothing manly about someone who is so worried about his buddies will think that he can't even chose what to eat... or think. Being a man is about a little more than showing off to the rest of the tribe. This ridiculous statement shows how weak those who believe themselves so strong actually are.

I'm a woman and what a man eats is pretty darn low on my list of priorities.

What a man does, how he conducts himself, how he treats others, what he thinks , his intellect, his sense of humour etc... are damn sight more important. Who cares whether a man choses not to eat meat ?

It does not make him any less of a man, any less strong, any less sexy. It's a food choice for goodness sake !

I love meat, I used to hunt and I am most definitely an omnivore.

Vegetarianism is not for me. But I could not care less what others do or in fact what they think of me because of those choices.

Manliness indeed.

I think it is pretty stupid and not terribly manly to judge someone by their gastronomic choices.

You seem to mix manly with identi-kit males, all followers rather than leaders.

If you need meat to be considered manly then there is something seriously amiss there... I think the protein overload is starting to have some kind of negative impact on the brain. Maybe a few veggies, lentils and pulses would help to redress the balance !
It sounds like you need to take this issue up with the women who look at men who are vegetarians as sissy's. Ridiculous or not, there are plenty of women out there who see it that way. I have personally known several throughout my life. Do you associate with vegetarians at the dinner table on a recurring basis? Perhaps you're insulated because of the company you keep? I guess it also depends on your definition of "manly." How many blue-collar, knuckle-busting, hard-hat wearing men do you know that refuse to eat meat? lol I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that most vegetarian men are cubicle-jockey, office-dwelling types who relish life behind the computer screen versus dirt under the fingernails.

Are you sure you're not a vegetarian? Because you seem to take great offense that a woman would consider a man less manly if he shunned meat! Just an observation.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 05-20-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
All my experiences with Vegetarians and Vegans have been like having Jehovah's witnesses come to my door pushing the watchtower. I'm also an ex-smoker, my friends and family who still smoke liken me to Vegans. Get the picture. I'm a Christian Catholic living in California. These interactions happen on a daily basis. I'm still waiting to meet a converted Jehovah Vegan ex-smoker. That ought to be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies