Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
It seems like you just like to throw around liberal. I just gave you the liberal agenda. You can go back through history and read the diaries from long before Vietnam. You can look at what has happened to those who have served and their treatment afterwards. (WWI VETS?)There have always been repercussions. There has always been opposition. You should have seen the level of animosity towards those who didn't want to buy war bonds.

Yes, there is a problem with recruiters on a campus. See, here is the game that is played over and over again: Lets utilize propoganda and whip up patriotic ferver and then throw them away, should they survive. Expendability. Then there are the nightmares, the screaming when there are certain sounds, or flashbacks during a movie and substance abuse issues. Sometimes they win homelessness and prison. And all of that, FOR WHAT?????? You take kids that have grown up their entire lives knowing that there is a line. That line is not to kill another human being. You train them to kill. You approve of this behavior. You applaud this. Then you ship them home and expect them to integrate back in society with no problems. Find the line. And for some, after 20 years of a good addiction, they might be able to handle it. If they aren't disease ridden from all of the really really cool stuff.

None of that is actually said during the recruitment. Why IS that?

No, it seems to me like there are those who strongly believe that if they can confuse the issue and include all those that are serving with the politics then they can shame people into not protesting. Wrong answer. That way, its easier to make an us versus them argument. Like listening to little puppets repeat the phrase: They died for your freedom.

No, they didn't. They died for corporate interests.

Welcome to the liberal agenda.
You also paint with a broad stroke. Not every military veteran of a war goes through what you described. Not ever military veteran of a war goes on to become homeless or addicted to drugs. Some go on to serve in Congress or the White House. Some go on to become doctors, lawyers, or start their own companies. Some go on to become your local police officer or firefighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:25 PM

I find it funny that some liberals in Berkeley and other areas support or honor Che' and Castro but hate our nations military and call them baby killers. It's kind of funny when you realize that Che' and Castro were killers who really did kill children and did so right in front of their families with a gun pointed directly to the child's head. Che' and Castro are their idols.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:30 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You also paint with a broad stroke. Not every military veteran of a war goes through what you described. Not ever military veteran of a war goes on to become homeless or addicted to drugs. Some go on to serve in Congress or the White House. Some go on to become doctors, lawyers, or start their own companies. Some go on to become your local police officer or firefighter.
The reality is that it is a game of Russian roulette and this isn't something discussed during recruitment. Why IS that?

Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Of course, not every one. All people are different. Some people are natural-born killers who place human life and care for the suffering beneath the profits of corporations. They make ideal soldiers, and adapt quickly to the exigencies. But some other people, it bothers them to spray little kids with napalm and stand there and watch them burn alive, and reflect later in life how they were lied to by the people who ordered them to return to barbarity..

Last edited by jtur88; 05-22-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Oh, and for the record, my father and other relatives who served in the military talked with my recruiter when I told them I was thinking of joining. They confirmed that my recruiter was not lying or exagerating the truth to me. They also sat me down and told me their stories to ensure that this was something I really wanted to do. They had already served and knew it wasn't a walk in the park. Though they fought in war, they weren't the brainwashed mindless idiots some here have made them out to be. They love their country and were proud to serve but they weren't so hard core that they practically threw me at the recruiter to sign up. They told me their stories, the good and the bad. The guys on my first ship screamed in their sleep for months after the steam leak that killed ten of their friends. But people go through PTSD even without joining the military. Some are firefighters, some are police officers, some are sales clerks, some are off shore oil rig workers, and some are just regular folks who were victims of violent crime.
Quote:
It seems like you just like to throw around liberal. I just gave you the liberal agenda. You can go back through history and read the diaries from long before Vietnam. You can look at what has happened to those who have served and their treatment afterwards. (WWI VETS?)There have always been repercussions. There has always been opposition. You should have seen the level of animosity towards those who didn't want to buy war bonds.

Yes, there is a problem with recruiters on a campus. See, here is the game that is played over and over again: Lets utilize propoganda and whip up patriotic ferver and then throw them away, should they survive. Expendability. Then there are the nightmares, the screaming when there are certain sounds, or flashbacks during a movie and substance abuse issues. Sometimes they win homelessness and prison. And all of that, FOR WHAT?????? You take kids that have grown up their entire lives knowing that there is a line. That line is not to kill another human being. You train them to kill. You approve of this behavior. You applaud this. Then you ship them home and expect them to integrate back in society with no problems. Find the line. And for some, after 20 years of a good addiction, they might be able to handle it. If they aren't disease ridden from all of the really really cool stuff.

None of that is actually said during the recruitment. Why IS that?

No, it seems to me like there are those who strongly believe that if they can confuse the issue and include all those that are serving with the politics then they can shame people into not protesting. Wrong answer. That way, its easier to make an us versus them argument. Like listening to little puppets repeat the phrase: They died for your freedom.

No, they didn't. They died for corporate interests.

Welcome to the liberal agenda.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of course, not every one. All people are different. Some people are natural-born killers who place human life and care for the suffering beneath the profits of corporations. But some other people, it bothers them to spray little kids with napalm and stand there and watch them burn alive, and reflect later in life how they were lied to by the people who ordered them to return to barbarity..
Then you have the Mexican drug gangs who think nothing of killing anyone that gets in their way. You have drug dealers on the streets who'll kill large groups of people on the street just to get to one person. And you have muslim terrorist who are willing to blow up themselves and anyone around in the name of Islam. But that's OK because neither the Mexican drug gangs, the drug dealers, or muslim terrorist are hated nearly as much in those ultra liberal areas as much as the US Military.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Then you have the Mexican drug gangs who think nothing of killing anyone that gets in their way. You have drug dealers on the streets who'll kill large groups of people on the street just to get to one person. And you have muslim terrorist who are willing to blow up themselves and anyone around in the name of Islam. But that's OK because neither the Mexican drug gangs, the drug dealers, or muslim terrorist are hated nearly as much in those ultra liberal areas as much as the US Military.
Nice try:

Quote:
WASHINGTON, April 23, 2010 – With more than 6,000 veterans committing suicide every year –- and 98 veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan taking their own lives during fiscal 2009 alone -- the Department of Veterans Affairs is redoubling its outreach to veterans and promoting its toll-free suicide-prevention hotline.
National statistics show that veterans constitute about 20 percent of the 30,000 to 32,000 U.S. deaths each year from suicide. Of an average of 18 veterans who commit suicide each day, about five receive care through the VA health-care system. More than 60 percent of those five had diagnosed mental-health conditions.
Defense.gov News Article: VA Strives to Prevent Veteran Suicides

Again, the liberal agenda. Bet this isn't discussed during recruitment. Why IS that?

Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Nice try:

Defense.gov News Article: VA Strives to Prevent Veteran Suicides

Again, the liberal agenda. Bet this isn't discussed during recruitment. Why IS that?
During my time in the Navy's Nuclear A school and Nuclear Power school, at least three attempted suicides happened in the few months I was there. There was no war, no combat, no PTSD, no body parts, no murder, no bombs. There was only a school with books, mandatory study time, and a fast pace to learn Nuclear engineering. High schools and college students across the country have suicides. Does that mean they were in combat? Is there really an increase in the number of suicides in this war compared to previous wars or is the Department of Defense just finally keeping track of the suicides in order to try to find and help those who need help? DoD can't help soldiers who don't come forward asking for help.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM

What is in place is inadequate. Only it wll take another 20 years to get that fully addressed.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
But that's OK because neither the Mexican drug gangs, the drug dealers, or muslim terrorist are hated nearly as much in those ultra liberal areas as much as the US Military.
Yes they are. They just express it in a different way, for example, by not screaming loudly about how Every Muslim is a Terrorist, or Every Mexican is Zeta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies