Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:29 AM

201 posts, read 432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh poor you! The email sucks! GGrrrrrrrrr. Was in the navy before ships had email or satellite TV or cell phones. Was in Desert Storm when my first wife told me in a letter she was pregnant. Letter was close to about two weeks old. When I got on my first ship, sailors were being paid in cash! Direct Deposit was just catching on but not mandatory yet. Ask him if he's tried Bilge Wine. Horrible stuff.
Thats exactly the stuff the recruiters dont tell you about or down play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Really? Then back it up.

You see, my father obliterated entire villages. His orders. Killed women and children.

And when he couldn't keep it together anymore, he was a homeless vet.

He kept a rifle in the back of the car.

Better yet, let me tell you about the time that the state stepped in and said, get a place to live and stay sober or we take your kid off the street and make her a ward of the state. So, he gets an apartment and I move in and I find him under the desk on the phone with a childrens shelter drunk. My father wasn't a drinker prior to, but drank extensively after. He is on the phone telling them that he has killed children. Drunk. These people have not one iota what he is referring to. No clue.

And just to make this perfect: guess who is employer was at that point?

The IRS. Functional. Homeless.

It took 25 years. The oldest of the brothers? He 'effin went to Iraq the first time around. The next? He came home and reenlisted because he cannot deal with what is going on here. Not because there is some oasis here. Only the second time around he took the next brother.

You people minimize the crap.

You aren't prepared to take care of ours that are coming home now.

And to this day, my father saw 9/11 and said, lets go get the bad guys. We went to Iraq? He said, hell no and started doing radio.

And do you have any idea the number of soldiers that were killed by our own?
Recruiters are the biggest minimizers there are, thats why some areas hate them, yea you will get to see "forigen lands" but not in the way that a 18 year old is thinking and the recruiter wont tell you that.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
Recruiters are the biggest minimizers there are, thats why some areas hate them, yea you will get to see "forigen lands" but not in the way that a 18 year old is thinking and the recruiter wont tell you that.
depends on the branch of the military you join. I saw Barcelona, walked the Rock of Gibralter, saw the Leaning Tower of Pisa, walked the canals and bridges of Venice, walked the steps of the Acropolis of Athens, saw Jerusalem, stood near the Sphinx, entered one of the Pyramids of Giza, and sunned myself along the beaches of Monte Carlo.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Military recruiters are doing a job like anyone else. I've seen good and bad. At 18 we allow men and women in our society to engage in all manner of activities that have positive and negative consequences. It's their choice. It's their bodies. Look at all the information that has been downloaded to our society about the military and war. If a bone head 18yr old can't figure out whether joining the military is a good choice then they get what they deserve good or bad, life or death. Oh and damn it either raise the age on enlistment to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Military recruiters are doing a job like anyone else. I've seen good and bad. At 18 we allow men and women in our society to engage in all manner of activities that have positive and negative consequences. It's their choice. It's their bodies. Look at all the information that has been downloaded to our society about the military and war. If a bone head 18yr old can't figure out whether joining the military is a good choice then they get what they deserve good or bad, life or death. Oh and damn it either raise the age on enlistment to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18.
Raising the enlistment age to 21 is probably not a bad idea. Then the preditory practices of recruiters where young people congregate would be limited to universities and by that time they will have had more time to decide if the military is really right for them .... and they will be an officer. This will force the recruiters to really earn their pay check when looking for cannon fauder because they cant just go to high schools anymore they have to scour for them all over the place. That was the point of the no child left behind act was to allow access to high schoolers so a recruiter could give a mass number of young people ASVAB testing and increase there odds of suckering people in.

I agree with internet and information the way it is today its easy to get informatoin but in the late 90's it was the recruiters hay day and even today you have to know where to find the relavant information because the military hypes there advertizing even on the internet.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Read this:
Blaming the Veteran
Blaming the Veteran: The Politics of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Read this:
Depleted Uranium Death Toll among US War Veterans Tops 11,000
Nationwide Media Blackout Keeps U.S. Public Ignorant About This Important Story

And here:

GWVRP: Gulf War illness is real, report finds

You refuse to take care of the ramifications of this. Refuse to.
Whos you?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:

Read this:
Nationwide Media Blackout Keeps U.S. Public Ignorant About This Important Story

There is a serious defect in this very poorly written link. First he say DU has killed 11,000, then he says a total of 11,000 veterans of the Gulf War are now dead. ALL from depleted uranium?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I find it funny that some liberals in Berkeley and other areas support or honor Che' and Castro but hate our nations military and call them baby killers. It's kind of funny when you realize that Che' and Castro were killers who really did kill children and did so right in front of their families with a gun pointed directly to the child's head. Che' and Castro are their idols.
Che andCastro were 2 of the biggest mass murderers to ever live.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Nice try:

Defense.gov News Article: VA Strives to Prevent Veteran Suicides

Again, the liberal agenda. Bet this isn't discussed during recruitment. Why IS that?
You speak English because of the American solder.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You speak English because of the American solder.
Do you understand how ignorant that statement makes you sound? The French colonized Indochina for centuries, but nobody in Vietnam speaks French. The Russians occupied Hungary for 40 years, but nobody in Hungary speaks Russian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies