Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,319,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
When you go into a dangerous neighborhood bad things may happen to you. If thses activists tried the same think in Tiananmen square I think they would face more serious fire power than tear gas.
Yea about 30 years ago. China is way more humane today. Probably because they don't want to lose trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
She was rallying for the destruction of Israel. Israel must be defended at all costs, it is the most important nation on the planet right now.
Why is that?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,778,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Yea about 30 years ago. China is way more humane today. Probably because they don't want to lose trade.
Unfortunately not much has changed.

"The PRC is known for its intolerance of organized dissent towards the government. Dissident groups are routinely arrested and imprisoned, often for long periods of time and without trial. Incidents of torture, forced confessions and forced labour are widely reported. Freedom of assembly and association is extremely limited. The most recent mass movement for political freedom was crushed in the Tiananmen Square Massacre in 1989, the estimated death toll of which ranges from about 200 to 10,000 depending on sources.[80][81]
One of the most famous dissidents is Zhang Zhixin, who is known for standing up against the ultra-left.[82] In October 2008, the government denounced the European Parliament's decision to award the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought to Hu Jia, on grounds that it was "gross interference in China's domestic affairs" to give such an award to a "jailed criminal.. in disregard of our repeated representations."[83]
In Dec. 8, 2008, two days before the release of Charter 08, Liu Xiaobo was arrested. He along with three hundred and two other Chinese citizens, signed Charter 08, a manifesto released on the 60th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (December 10, 2009), written in the style of the Czechoslovakian Charter 77 calling for greater freedom of expression, human rights, and for free elections.[6] As of May 2009, the Charter has collected over 9,000 signatures from Chinese of various walks of life.
On 17 Oct 2009, Reuters reported that Guo Quan a professor in Nanjing Teachers University was sentenced to 10 years in jail for "inciting Subversion" of Government. There are more than 40 people in jail for criticizing the government."

Human rights in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Amnesty International has documented widespread human rights violations in China. An estimated 500,000 people are currently enduring punitive detention without charge or trial, and millions are unable to access the legal system to seek redress for their grievances. Harassment, surveillance, house arrest, and imprisonment of human rights defenders are on the rise, and censorship of the Internet and other media has grown. Repression of minority groups, including Tibetans, Uighurs and Mongolians, and of Falun Gong practitioners and Christians who practice their religion outside state-sanctioned churches continues. While the recent reinstatement of Supreme People's Court review of death penalty cases may result in lower numbers of executions, China remains the leading executioner in the world. Review our annual report on China human rights violations."

China Human Rights

Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
When you go into a dangerous neighborhood bad things may happen to you. If thses activists tried the same think in Tiananmen square I think they would face more serious fire power than tear gas.
I do not mean to single you out, but I have seen this a lot. The argument that if you are going somewhere dangerous you are responsible for bad stuff happening to you. Out of curiosity do you and/or anyone else hold this view of shippers attacked by Somali pirates...That they take some of the responsibility for being attacked by pirates for trying to navigate the dangerous Gulf of Aden region?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,778,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I do not mean to single you out, but I have seen this a lot. The argument that if you are going somewhere dangerous you are responsible for bad stuff happening to you. Out of curiosity do you and/or anyone else hold this view of shippers attacked by Somali pirates...That they take some of the responsibility for being attacked by pirates for trying to navigate the dangerous Gulf of Aden region?

Of course, if there is an advisory to avoid certain waters or take certain precautions and they are ignored, you are inviting a problem.

With respect to Israel, they are a country in a state of war. It seems silly to needlessly provoke them. Setting aside this incident and looking at the flotilla issue. The activists had an alternative to get the aid to Gaza, Israel will accept the aid, search it and deliver it. they were not interested in getting the aid to Gaza. The goal of the activists was two fold to provoke a confrontaiton and to end the blockade. With the number of missiles that rain down on Israel from Gaza they cannot lift the blockade.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,876,000 times
Quote:
Absolutely not.Commercial Ships are navigating open waters for commerce.The Somali Pirate scenario you brought up is an example of Obama stepping up to the plate and doing something He should be commended for.When He had one of them shot and the rest captured.Ships navigating the Gulf of Aden have a right to do so by International Law so I don't think that you can really compare this.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM

946 posts, read 2,607,055 times
Quote:
Agreed. We should hold the thousands of dead in Tiananem square to the same standard if this is how we want to judge this instance. That's how far we have sunk. This War of Terror has damaged my country and Constitution far beyond the ability of terrorists ever could.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,319,050 times
Quote:
Unfortunately not much has changed.
Plenty has changed, slowly and inevitably. If you lived in China you would know that it is much easier to move between Taiwan, China, and the US. Less need for border patrols. More open, free movement.

China doesn't advertise itself as a democracy... it knows what it is. Can't change overnight.

Can't there just be peace in the middle east already? I'm so sick of this.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Absolutely not.Commercial Ships are navigating open waters for commerce.The Somali Pirate scenario you brought up is an example of Obama stepping up to the plate and doing something He should be commended for.When He had one of them shot and the rest captured.Ships navigating the Gulf of Aden have a right to do so by International Law so I don't think that you can really compare this.
I am not comparing the actions of Somali pirates with the IDF, but rather trying to gauge how consistently people will apply the enter at your own risk argument.

From your response I take it you do not believe someone who enters a risk zone bears responsibility for any harm that may come to them the poster prior to your post (#45) does. Is this correct?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,797,525 times
Scroll down to the video, its the unedited copy that shows the rock throwers before she was hit. In any case she was too close to be a seperate activity as she was in the street with them. Unlike the Palestinian version that starts off at the sidewalk where she was dragged too (Middle East Fury starting at 0:50).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8g0A...layer_embedded#!

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-03-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies