Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I have seen them with whole cartloads of meat, and they have big ol colon bellies. Not exactly starving.
I have no idea what this means "colon bellies" but it sounds funny as hell. No matter what side of the debate you're on I couldn't care less, reading "colon bellies" made my night.

I salute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 PM

268 posts, read 454,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
LoL, abuses do happen. Those scum hurt everyone involved. 20 people's behavior doesn't mean that every single one of the 34 million people on food assistance is a slavering scammer just waiting for their chance. Till then, they just dine on lobster and fillet mignon while laughing at the average working man!

I would say certainly more then 20 people kill each other a year with guns, and since that section abuses that to harm others...does that mean everyone who uses them responsibly should be thought of as killers? No, but cranks like to take small numbers of bad behaviors to push their agenda with anecdotal evidence.

I love these post, it's like again and again people blame the poor for existing (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100215_In_hard_times__Americans_blame_the_poor.h tml#axzz0q8KSyhyC - broken link)..."Last month, Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer of South Carolina said that when the government helps the poor, it's like people feeding stray animals that continually "breed.""
Let's be honest with ourselves now, we're talking about a 10 week investigation in one city. It's not only 20 people out of 35 million, it's only 20 people who got caught in only 10 weeks in only 1 city. So lets not ignore the obvious here, mmkay?

With that, this discussion isn't about blaming anybody for anything and maybe you should find one of those threads for your tangent. The topic at hand is whether or not tax payers have the right to be angry when they witness a person abusing the system.

The abuse quite obviously happens, no matter how often it does or does not isn't the question or debate. It's that it does, and taxpayers have every right to be angry about that, in my opinion.

If you think it's ok to steal money from the federal government and Americans... wait, nevermind. So far to left, of course you think it's ok.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Let's be honest with ourselves now, we're talking about a 10 week investigation in one city. It's not only 20 people out of 35 million, it's only 20 people who got caught in only 10 weeks in only 1 city. So lets not ignore the obvious here, mmkay?

With that, this discussion isn't about blaming anybody for anything and maybe you should find one of those threads for your tangent. The topic at hand is whether or not tax payers have the right to be angry when they witness a person abusing the system.

The abuse quite obviously happens, no matter how often it does or does not isn't the question or debate. It's that it does, and taxpayers have every right to be angry about that, in my opinion.

If you think it's ok to steal money from the federal government and Americans... wait, nevermind. So far to left, of course you think it's ok.

And, just to be clear, the 20 people arrested were NOT the food stamp recipients, but the actual store owners and/or clerks. Obviously, there were more than 20 people involved if you actually count the ones who SOLD their cards.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post

And, just to be clear, the 20 people arrested were NOT the food stamp recipients, but the actual store owners and/or clerks. Obviously, there were more than 20 people involved if you actually count the ones who SOLD their cards.
I knew someone around here had to have some common sense.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
hooray, yet another food stamps thread.

funny, I've worked in various supermarkets for years and don't ever recall many people using EBT cards buying overly expensive food or putting them into the trunks of expensive cars. you'd think from the way some people on here talk, it's a daily occurrence in all supermarkets across the world.

yes, there is fraud. no, it's not as widespread as some people make it out to be. yes, there are some people collecting benefits that have tricked the system and may not really need them. no, these people are no where near the majority of the recipients. yes, you can sit in your chair and whine about this on an online forum as much as you want. no, it won't change anything and it's still none of your business what types of food people buy w/ their benefits. seems like people wont be happy until poor people are living off of Ramen noodles and canned meats

Old 06-06-2010, 10:18 PM

I must be talking too fast for you. I apologize. I'll try to slow it down for you a bit.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:

the original premise of this thread was NOT about people abusing the system, it was about food stamps recipients spending their benefits on relatively expensive foods. that is NOT abuse, nor what the thread was originally about. try not to go off topic, mmkay?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I don't know, some people say you get what you pay for. So if you buy cheap foods, they're not as good for you as the more expensive ones.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
the original premise of this thread was NOT about people abusing the system, it was about food stamps recipients spending their benefits on relatively expensive foods. that is NOT abuse, nor what the thread was originally about. try not to go off topic, mmkay?
Excuse me? Food stamp recipients spending my money on food that I can't afford isn't abuse?

I suppose I stand corrected. What exactly constitutes abuse then?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Excuse me? Food stamp recipients spending my money on food that I can't afford isn't abuse?

I suppose I stand corrected. What exactly constitutes abuse then?
really got to spell this out for you, uh??

listen up and listen carefully: the SNAP program has NO (nada, zip, zilch, zippo) rules that dictate what a person may buy with their benefits other than some select items: non edible items (e.g., toilet paper, cigs, laundry detergent), pet foods, prepared foods (e.g. rotisserie chicken), and alcohol. you can whine until you're blue in the face, but it is NOT abuse for someone to buy something that you can't afford and it's downright stupid and silly to believe this. it's NOT abuse for someone to buy lobster, organic foods, junk foods, or whatever w/ these benefits. some may deem it impractical, but, again, it's not abuse

Q. Are SNAP clients only allowed to purchase certain nutritious foods?
A. SNAP requirements for foods that can be purchased are the same as in the FSP. SNAP clients can buy all foods intended to be eaten at home. Some things, such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, foods hot at the point of sale, non-food items, vitamins or medicines and pet foods are not allowed.

FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

now go educate yourself and stop acting so jealous and bitter. it's not "your money", it's money that gets taken out as part of your taxes, money you'll never see and won't decrease regardless of what people choose to buy, so no point in whining about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies