Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times

Advertisements

I do know one thing, there are a hell of a lot of people on food stamps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I work a few hours a week as a cashier in a large grocery store so I do have some knowledge on this subject. I have many customers that recieve food stamps/EBT and many people compain if they see a customer that is buying say lobster on EBT. My thought is they have every right to spend their food stamps on what they want. They only get certain amount of money so if they wish to spend it on expensive things that is their choice. I feel like some people are trying to say that a person that recieves EBT money has no right to dine on expensive food and that isn't really our right. Am I missing something?????
Yikes, I am sitting here in total shock.
The people providing the "lobster lovers" with food are eating hamburger and tuna fish.
How far has this country fallen when a person can actually think in this way?
Now the person getting food stamps has the "right" to be eating lobster when the taxpayer is taking half of their groceries out of the cart in order to pay for them with their hard earned MONEY!
Unbelievable.
Just to let you know that food stamps are suppose to last you for a month to keep you from STARVING!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Food stamp luxuries

The point of the food stamp program, and why it is in the Dept of Agriculture and not in Health and Human Services, is to provide money to the companies that provide and sell the food. As such, why should the fisherman that traps the Lobster be less able to sell his catch than the guy that fish farms Tilapia? The food stamp administrators could care less if people are starving so long as they are buying.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hooray, yet another food stamps thread.

funny, I've worked in various supermarkets for years and don't ever recall many people using EBT cards buying overly expensive food or putting them into the trunks of expensive cars. you'd think from the way some people on here talk, it's a daily occurrence in all supermarkets across the world.

yes, there is fraud. no, it's not as widespread as some people make it out to be. yes, there are some people collecting benefits that have tricked the system and may not really need them. no, these people are no where near the majority of the recipients. yes, you can sit in your chair and whine about this on an online forum as much as you want. no, it won't change anything and it's still none of your business what types of food people buy w/ their benefits. seems like people wont be happy until poor people are living off of Ramen noodles and canned meats
What people buy "w/ their 'benefits'" should at least be the same as the people providing the "benefits".
Yes, let us all eat noodles and canned meat so the "poor" can eat lobster.
Their lobster is why tunafish is our menu.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,715 times
The Food Stamp program is yet another welfare program which needs to be over-hauled. In the same way that there is a cut-off period for unemployment and Cobra benefits, there should be a cut-off period for recipents of food stamps.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
When people hit the brick wall I have no problem providing simply food and a little shelter for the ones with families. But, my husband and I never order lobster just due to the cost of it. Must be nice. I would feel horibble buying something like that with gov money. I thought the stamps went out and it is replaced with a debit card now?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Food stamps are another reason for the obesity rates we see in this country. People are living it up on high priced steaks and lobster and of course the butter to dip their food stamp lobster into. Then they down twinkie bars and bon-bons or the most expensive cakes and ice creams for dessert. Food stamps are a big reason Medicaid costs are so outrageous. Years of high living and big eating on food stamps leads to all the obesity related diseases and hospital stays.
Dunno the solution, but whether it's smoking, eating junk food, or just leading sedentary lives in front of the "tube", low income folks generally don't lead very healthy lives anyway.... food stamps or no. And yes, it does usually catch up with them in Medicaid (with COPD, diabetes, heart disease, etc.).

Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I wonder about people that want to punish other people for being poor. Is not being poor punishment enough? Why harm then even more? Who is harmed by poor people living on food stamps?

If you are complaining about paying for it with your taxes that is another issue. Why don't you ask why you pay taxes and some multimillionaire can hire and accountant to get him out of paying his. He is the one hurting you people, not the poor family spending the welfare to keep the grocery store in business.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder about people that want to punish other people for being poor. Is not being poor punishment enough? Why harm then even more? Who is harmed by poor people living on food stamps?

If you are complaining about paying for it with your taxes that is another issue. Why don't you ask why you pay taxes and some multimillionaire can hire and accountant to get him out of paying his. He is the one hurting you people, not the poor family spending the welfare to keep the grocery store in business.
No, the tax system keeps prices down.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
No it doesn't. It means they've decided to be stupid with their $200 a month in food stamps. For all you know the guy wasted it all on one or two meals and then ate ramen for the other 29 days.

The bottom line is we don't have enough information to say what their standard of living is other then we know they have an income of around $1000 per month before the $200 a month in food stamps.
If they're making $1000 a month, they are not getting $200 in food stamps, at least not as a single person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'll mind my own business when you stop requesting that I pay to support you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Request...did you say request? Wow; you must live in a very polite part of the country...around here they flat out demand it! They got rights, ya know.

And yes, it angers me to see people buying expensive food items which I can no longer afford because I know full well they are buying it with my dime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Excuse me? Food stamp recipients spending my money on food that I can't afford isn't abuse?

I suppose I stand corrected. What exactly constitutes abuse then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
What people buy "w/ their 'benefits'" should at least be the same as the people providing the "benefits".
Yes, let us all eat noodles and canned meat so the "poor" can eat lobster.
Their lobster is why tunafish is our menu.
This is what I find the most comical. Some of you will gripe that they spend too much, and then gripe that they're eating junk food on your dime but expect them to eat beanie weenies and ramen noodles, aka JUNK FOOD, like poor people should.

Yes, people abuse the system, however, there are plenty of people who have worked legitimately for years and have lost everything and have had to resort to public aid. They have paid plenty to be able to take advantage of the benefits they are entitled to. So, for many of them, it is THEIR money. If you can't afford to eat lobster, it isn't because of them. Get a better job, go on welfare or quit yer b*tchin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
really got to spell this out for you, uh??

listen up and listen carefully: the SNAP program has NO (nada, zip, zilch, zippo) rules that dictate what a person may buy with their benefits other than some select items: non edible items (e.g., toilet paper, cigs, laundry detergent), pet foods, prepared foods (e.g. rotisserie chicken), and alcohol. you can whine until you're blue in the face, but it is NOT abuse for someone to buy something that you can't afford and it's downright stupid and silly to believe this. it's NOT abuse for someone to buy lobster, organic foods, junk foods, or whatever w/ these benefits. some may deem it impractical, but, again, it's not abuse

Q. Are SNAP clients only allowed to purchase certain nutritious foods?
A. SNAP requirements for foods that can be purchased are the same as in the FSP. SNAP clients can buy all foods intended to be eaten at home. Some things, such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, foods hot at the point of sale, non-food items, vitamins or medicines and pet foods are not allowed.

FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

now go educate yourself and stop acting so jealous and bitter. it's not "your money", it's money that gets taken out as part of your taxes, money you'll never see and won't decrease regardless of what people choose to buy, so no point in whining about it.

Homie is standing right there at the checkout aisle pulling $40 out of his pocket every time someone buys lobster, yet he can't afford it. Sounds pretty fishy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies