Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,664,753 times

Advertisements

Oh please!
According to you, we should all quit our jobs and get in the food stamp line because we deserve it too! It is OUR money too!
Lets all go out and take advantage of real poor people so the scammers can eat lobster!
How about knocking off with the junk food and making a pot of soup??
Homemade bread? Beef Stew? Nutritious casseroles?
Noooo, they want lobster to mess everything up for the true poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,546,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Food stamps are another reason for the obesity rates we see in this country. People are living it up on high priced steaks and lobster and of course the butter to dip their food stamp lobster into. Then they down twinkie bars and bon-bons or the most expensive cakes and ice creams for dessert. Food stamps are a big reason Medicaid costs are so outrageous. Years of high living and big eating on food stamps leads to all the obesity related diseases and hospital stays.
Food stamps may well be the reason for a lot of obese people. But not because they are eating high priced foods.
Pasta, rice and potatoes fill a belly and satisfies the soul. Poor people eat a lot of starch because it is cheap.
It's cheaper to buy soda or phony fruit juice than it is to buy milk or real juice.
Most canned and prepared foods are full of salt and sugar that only adds calories. A lot of people on food stamps use prepared foods for the convenience or because they don't know how to cook from scratch. These foods are expensive and not healthy (for the most part). An example of this: a small square dish of mashed potatoes (ready to put in microwave) costs $3.50 and contains 4 small servings. A 15 pound bag of potatoes is roughly the same price (often cheaper) and yields way more than 4 servings. However, if one is strapped for time, or has no idea how to cook potatoes (in any form) they will buy the small pricey dish. They are not eating better, they are eating added chemicals that are harmful.
People on food stamps do buy fruits and veggies. And they do buy meats of all kinds. And they do buy snacks and junk food that is not healthy. People on food stamps are human - they like to eat as much as the next guy.

Understand that being poor and on food stamps does not mean one must eat crappy food all the time to please those who are just jealous because someone is eating lobster and they can't. If someone on food stamps can budget lobster into their menu then that is terrific. It's probably not something food stamps users buy on a regular basis. I'd rather see people eating more seafood and less red meat (especially hamburger).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,489,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Oh please!
According to you, we should all quit our jobs and get in the food stamp line because we deserve it too! It is OUR money too!
Lets all go out and take advantage of real poor people so the scammers can eat lobster!
How about knocking off with the junk food and making a pot of soup??
Homemade bread? Beef Stew? Nutritious casseroles?
Noooo, they want lobster to mess everything up for the true poor people.
So, corporate welfare is robbing us all blind, and you're all in a tizzy over food stamp "excesses" by a few hungry folks among us, who if not "poor", sure ain't "rich"! Geez, how "Christian" of you....

Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,664,753 times
Please don't bring "Christian" into people who take advantage of the true poor people in this world. The ones who are on food stamps and the ones who are not!!!
I'll tell you what, a true poor person has better sense than to spend their measely little bit of money or food stamps on lobster.
Being a Christian does help to figure out who is real and who is not.
A person spending their food stamps on lobster is either not very HUNGRY or needs to attend a class on money management.
How about some beans and rice?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM

53,132 posts, read 34,913,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Most canned and prepared foods are full of salt and sugar that only adds calories. A lot of people on food stamps use prepared foods for the convenience or because they don't know how to cook from scratch. These foods are expensive and not healthy (for the most part). An example of this: a small square dish of mashed potatoes (ready to put in microwave) costs $3.50 and contains 4 small servings. A 15 pound bag of potatoes is roughly the same price (often cheaper) and yields way more than 4 servings. However, if one is strapped for time, or has no idea how to cook potatoes (in any form) they will buy the small pricey dish. They are not eating better, they are eating added chemicals that are harmful.
i suppose that could be true, but it's inconceivable to me that anyone could not know how to boil, bake, or fry potatoes.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,165,559 times
Personally, I think food stamps should be more like the WIC program. W/ WIC, you can only get milk,100% juice,fruits,veggies,cereal, 100% wheat bread,etc. I used to work at a grocery store, & it made me sick to see people (EVERY day, not just sometimes) using their food stamp card to buy nothing but pop, junk food,candy,etc. It was nothing to see a mother buy a can of pop, open their baby's bottle & pour it in! There were several families that you'd know it was food stamp time, as one cart would be loaded down w/ cases of pop & junk food, & the OTHER cart would be full of all kinds of other stuff that I KNOW they shouldn't have been able to afford if they were on food stamps. The mother was always "dressed to the nines" , as my grandma used to say, w/ expensive designer clothes,jewelry,etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i suppose that could be true, but it's inconceivable to me that anyone could not know how to boil, bake, or fry potatoes.
You would REALLY be surprised to know just how many CAN'T do any of the above. Not that they are stupid, they just have not learned how to cook.
I was taught to cook before age 10. At that time I had to prepare a meal for the entire family - alone. My brothers were all taught the same things. My mom was determined we would reach adulthood with this most wonderful skill.
Why? She could not boil water when she got married. Seriously, she burned many pans dry. My dad taught her how to cook and she became one fine cook and a terrific baker.
So believe it... there are people who can't boil, bake or fry a potato to save their own life (they'd probably eat it raw!).

Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,757,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Boil: you cut them up and put them in water and boil them for about an hour

Bake: you cut them up and put them in a 350 oven until the smoke detector goes off

Fry: no idea.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Personally, I think food stamps should be more like the WIC program. W/ WIC, you can only get milk,100% juice,fruits,veggies,cereal, 100% wheat bread,etc. I used to work at a grocery store, & it made me sick to see people (EVERY day, not just sometimes) using their food stamp card to buy nothing but pop, junk food,candy,etc. It was nothing to see a mother buy a can of pop, open their baby's bottle & pour it in! There were several families that you'd know it was food stamp time, as one cart would be loaded down w/ cases of pop & junk food, & the OTHER cart would be full of all kinds of other stuff that I KNOW they shouldn't have been able to afford if they were on food stamps. The mother was always "dressed to the nines" , as my grandma used to say, w/ expensive designer clothes,jewelry,etc.
WIC is restrictive because they only offer a very limited variety of healthy foods. It's easy to regulate because the amount of items included does not overwhelm the cashiers.
Food is food. When your food budget is limited you cannot buy a ton of fresh fruit and veggies... frozen are just as good and last a lot longer. Cereal is expensive and most of it is just plain nasty stuff. 100% whole anything bread is twice as expensive as plain ole white bread. A mother who has a lot of meals to make and little to spend on food will opt for the cheaper white bread because she can buy more for the price.
It bothers me that people feel that food stamps users should eat a very select diet (that [tax payers] get to decide on). When someone starts telling you how to eat and what to eat... only then can you tell others the same thing.
What people eat is their business... not yours, not mine...

Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,068,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
So you don't think EBT people should be concerned about buying healthy food? They also have a limited amount and if they spend it all on expensive food in the first week well then that is their problem. It sounds to me like you just want to punish a person on EBT. What is your feeling on an old or senior citizen using EBT? Are their days of eating good or expensive food over?
The issue is the fact that if someone on food stamps can afford to waste it on expensive food items, then it means that they have other means of sustaining themselves. Folks who truly are in need of food stamps know that they cannot afford to be wasteful as it would mean that they would not have enough for the remainder of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies