Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,608,496 times

Advertisements

The forum has been helpful and now I have encountered another roadblock to moving to South Florida from New Orleans. My wife and I are 67 years old and want to move closer to family in FT.Lauderdale but we doubt we can afford to live a close as we would like so we are considering Port St. Lucie. Now we are wondering if we should buy a house at all or stay in a condo or rent. I know this is a personal decision but we have only been a homeowner and want to make sure we are not missing the obvious that as we age taking care of a house becomes increasingly difficult. If we buy and then realize we made a mistake I am assuming we cannot sell the house for the same reason we got a deal when we bought it- housing prices are depressed. We are both healthy but one never knows. I have only heard of condo nightmares and would like to get some good advice.

Sidney

Last edited by alsidw; 07-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: misspelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM

181 posts, read 291,335 times
Always best to rent for 6 months to a year..or more..before you decide to buy..ANYWHERE.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
Sidney, many of the condo communities that are 55+, or even those that are not, seem to be run by ..."condo commandos" who have nothing else to do but watch and see what YOU do, or don't do.

Being retired has its benefits, but keeping busy does too!

Sometimes it's better to be in an area that is still mixed in ages, but that is up to you

A small house in a maintained community where you have little to actually maintain may be what you are looking or after all.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Thank you, we will be down to FTL on or before the 16 of August, maybe we can look at a few houses. You sent me a list of houses in PSL and I appreciate it. Do you venture closer to FTL? are there houses available with rental units that would supplement my income?
Sid in New Orleans

Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Thank you, we will be down to FTL on or before the 16 of August, maybe we can look at a few houses. You sent me a list of houses in PSL and I appreciate it. Do you venture closer to FTL? are there houses available with rental units that would supplement my income?
Sid in New Orleans
Sidney, Ft Lauderdale is a bit too far for me to venture down there, but I can turn you over to one of my colleagues to help you in that area. How far down do you want to go?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Default Rent vs Buying In Port St Lucie

Just made a trip to the area from New Orleans, we drove. My mind goes to the Canterbury Tales novel because we met several nice people on the road over and their initial comments in favor of renting as compared to owning has made me reconsider buying. Not everyone's situation can be compared however we are retired senior citizens wanting to relocate near our children in Fort Lauderdale but need someplace more affordable and many including my son who lives in FTL recommend Port St. Lucie. All along I was figuring on a house and more recently a house in a community like Sawgrass But now I need to rethink and reexamine. I have just sold our house here in New Orleans and here I was the Chief Cook and Bottle washer when it came to the house and with the house being 106 years old there was lots to do plus the lawn, and landscape. Now I am free !!! and not sure if I want to do this all over again.
It has been recommended that I rent on a golf course because of the view and lack of mosquitoes and it puts me away from the water.
I would appreciate any feed back. We do want to rent initially for 6 mos to a year if we can find something for 6 months but after that I am not sure. What are the thoughts of the forum. What should I consider?
Sid

Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I would appreciate any feed back. We do want to rent initially for 6 mos to a year if we can find something for 6 months but after that I am not sure. What are the thoughts of the forum. What should I consider?
Sid
If I were you, I would rent first and visit different places and make some friends. Then decide what to do. No hurry to buy.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Renting in PSl

Yes, I was just getting panicky. We would like to rent a house to see how it goes. I am told it must be a year but I was hoping for 6 months. I do not think it would take too long to find a house. Any leads please let me know.
Sid

Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,797,281 times
Sid, a year goes by VERY QUICKLY...as you know by now. We feel like we got here last week, and it has been 4 months now. No way would I have any desire to pack this crap up and move again. Not for awhile. Sign a year lease and get to know the area.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Default Renting in PSl

I was thinking what if we find a house we love but are in a rental. Plus being retired and not working I think I may go nuts just sitting around. I am so used to gardening, fishing and working on the house, cutting grass etc that I can't imagine what I would do with the time.
Thank you for helping me work thru this.

Sid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach