Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM

118 posts, read 178,288 times

Advertisements

I have been honing in on Stuart for quite some time. It looks like a quaint area with a lot going on and close to beaches and other necessities. Real estate does not seem outrageous either. My husband and I are both mid - fifties and tired of the gray, cold snowy Western New York state winters! We sold our home last spring and have been renting until we make our decision as to where to move. We both have professional jobs (I am a CPA - my husband is an IT professional) and are trying to find a new locale that will fit our wants and needs. First - how is the job market in that part of Florida?

What is living in Stuart really like? Is there a downtown "neighborhood" area we could buy a home in? Our budget is 350K or less. Or is there an area of town we should be focusing on? Would there be a farmer's market? Looking at the community website it seems like there are a lot of things going on year round which we would enjoy.

I also wonder about outdoor recreation - what about walking trails - bike paths etc?

As far as weather - we have been to Florida many times and a few times in the summer too. We love hot, humid weather but just how horrible is it in the summer? When we have been there (mostly around Labor Day - it is hot but we are in a pool or in the ocean not just trying to live our daily lives!

I thank you so much for any insight or thoughts you might have!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
My wife and I looked in to Stuart last year and found it a little to isolated for us...we arrived on a Friday nite at 10PM at our hotel, just off 95, and asked the front desk staff for a recommendation for a restaurant...he called about 10 to 12 restaurants and he could not find one that was still serving...we ended up at Mickey D's...not what we were looking for...

My other fear of Stuart and/or Martin County is that it has been discovered and alot of families are moving in...of course with this comes more schools...more government...more everything...so those cheap taxes are bound to fade away just like every where else...

Try these to sites to give you some information www.myflorida.com and www.stateofflorida.com

We choose Jupiter...south of Stuart...more crowded...but I can find everything I want within a 10 minute drive or less...

Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM

361 posts, read 749,961 times
As rusty said Stuart/Martin county has recently been "discovered" -- and not only by families. Apparently it has been a large target of burglars who are making the trip up from Broward County. The TCPalm just did an article on it 2 days ago.

Thieves raid Martin County homes during the day » TCPalm.com

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortStLucieWater View Post
As rusty said Stuart/Martin county has recently been "discovered" -- and not only by families. Apparently it has been a large target of burglars who are making the trip up from Broward County. The TCPalm just did an article on it 2 days ago.

Thieves raid Martin County homes during the day » TCPalm.com
They recently hit Tradition Once.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
My wife and I looked in to Stuart last year and found it a little to isolated for us...we arrived on a Friday nite at 10PM at our hotel, just off 95, and asked the front desk staff for a recommendation for a restaurant...he called about 10 to 12 restaurants and he could not find one that was still serving...we ended up at Mickey D's...not what we were looking for...

We choose Jupiter...south of Stuart...more crowded...but I can find everything I want within a 10 minute drive or less...
I'm shocked the hotel front desk staff was unable to find a restaurant for you . There are more than a few bars/restaurants in the area that serve food past 10 pm in Stuart. They are located inland from where your hotel was located though.

I lived in Jupiter a few years, and find Stuart WAY more convenient. Jupiter is beautiful, no doubt, but there really isn't much in the way of shopping/dining options unless you make the drive to Palm Beach Gardens which is WAY overpriced IMO.

I can find everything I need in Stuart within 5 miles, and the restaurant/shopping options are more in line with a typical family's budget compared to the options offered in Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area.

Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast are two TOTALLY different places for sure. If you're looking for a more laid back, unpretentious, go with the flow, small town feel, you'll more than likely enjoy living in Stuart.

The job market in Florida is pretty tough! Definitely have a job lined up before you move.

There is a downtown area in Stuart, and plenty of outdoor activities, walking, and biking trails nearby.

I don't find the weather horrible, but I was raised in the South, so I'm used to it. It's this 50/60 degree weather we've had this winter I have a problem with! There's NO SHORTAGE of AC in the area, so when it's hot, you just seek cover.

I'll leave the real estate question to the experts!

Good luck with the potential move!

Last edited by treasurecoastchatter; 03-19-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post

My other fear of Stuart and/or Martin County is that it has been discovered and alot of families are moving in...of course with this comes more schools...more government...more everything...so those cheap taxes are bound to fade away just like every where else...
Try these to sites to give you some information www.myflorida.com and www.stateofflorida.com

... your very fear realized, you found higher taxes, more govt, more everything.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Default Thankyou Dave!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
... your very fear realized, you found higher taxes, more govt, more everything.
Thankyou....Thankyou...Thankyou......Dave_n_Tenn ...for yes I did express an opinion......forgive me...but the difference in taxes is less than $500 a year and I'll spend that much and more in gas to get where I want......so thankyou again......but opinions are like A-Holes and everyone has one......so thankyou again...

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM

30 posts, read 56,450 times
Hubby and I relocated from Connecticut 18 months ago and bought in Stuart. We're both in our mid 40s and we are really happy to have bought in Stuart!!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM

118 posts, read 178,288 times
Thank you for your information! We are really really liking everything we hear about Stuart and are planning on visiting in late Sept for a week to check things out......we are anticipating a Dec 1st move and cannot wait to leave behind the cold gray northern climate!!!

Do you live within walking distance to downtown Stuart or a little more on the outskirts? Just curious!

Thanks!!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurecoastchatter View Post

I lived in Jupiter a few years, and find Stuart WAY more convenient. Jupiter is beautiful, no doubt, but there really isn't much in the way of shopping/dining options unless you make the drive to Palm Beach Gardens which is WAY overpriced IMO.

I can find everything I need in Stuart within 5 miles, and the restaurant/shopping options are more in line with a typical family's budget compared to the options offered in Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area.

!
I would agree with most of your post with the exception of the two I quoted.

Stuart is not convenient to much except big box stores, car dealerships, the flea market and fast food restaurants. The US1 corridor is an eyesore. Outback is probably the finest restaurant they offer on US1 right now.

Stuart is much further from a major airport, major city like West Palm (note the OP and spouse were inquiring about professional jobs) and in a pinch you could make southern PBC, central Broward in less than an hour from PBG/Jupiter.....add 20 minutes/20 miles for Stuart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach