Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 AM

25 posts, read 64,100 times

Advertisements

We're buying a house and there was a small leak in the roof which caused some mold (not black mold). After repairs and duct cleaning, the inspector recommends a UV light in the duct work. I've Googled it to death and some people say it's just something to sell you; others say they really work if you have allergies. How about down there where it's humid? Does anybody else have one and do they work?

Question #2: Will I have to to take a road test for a new drivers license? The DMV website didn't specify. I assume I will but it would be nice to avoid it.

Question #3: Where's a good place to play tennis? We've looked at a place but would like to hear the real scoop about tennis in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
Well if you have not closed yet then you should by all means have the seller fix the roof and pay for any work needed to confirm that the mold issue is taken care of. That service is not a rip off and you can even get a discount from FPL for doing so. You will have to contact them.

If you are going to live here for more than 6 months you will need to get a Valid Florida Drivers license. You shouldn't have to take a test but do the eye exam. At least that is what I did. You can contact myflorida.com and find out all of the information.

Believe me you don't want to mess around with mold down here. If the seller does not want to fix the issue then take a discount off of the house.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. The roof/mold situation is being done before closing but it's up to us to install the UV lights if we want them. What will FPL offer a discount for? I called a pulmonologist around here and he didn't know anything about UV mold filters. My mom had one installed, but she would buy anything.

Good news on the drivers license. I'm bringing all the papers with me when I come for closing. Next stop, DMV. :-)

Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Where are you going to live? There are some nice courts in Palm City.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Where are you going to live? There are some nice courts in Palm City.
We'll be living off Mapp Road near Lighthouse Point. I heard there were AM round robins in Stuart. Do you know if they're still going on?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
Go to your nearest Palm City Homecheapo and ask or call a local AC dealer or even FPL. They should know about programs to save energy. Having the AC ductwork inspected is not only for mold but for efficiency. I don't think you get the discount for the mold but if they do it for efficiency then you will save money on the inspection. Hope that makes sense.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,851 times
We have an ultraviolet light in our duct work, it came with our new A/C unit. The light has "freshened" the air in our home and we are very pleased with it. UV lights are used medically to disinfect bedding, etc. and frehen the air in hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach