Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,719 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, hoping I can find some help here.

I'm almost 25 & single thinking about moving to Portland in the next year or two. I'm from Kansas & was raised in mid western courtesy & values but am also open minded & extremely adventurous to say the least.

My main questions are these,

As you can tell by my screen name, I'm an avid motorcyclist of the sport oriented type. I've lived other places & have found many that have an anti bike mindset. What is the motorcycling community like there?

Through out my life I've never been 'well to do' as you might say, I'm not looking to become rich, just comfortable. As far as what I've done for a living, I'm currently employed for a water well drilling outfit. I'm sort of a jack of all trades with a strong work ethic. I've worked on farms, been a head cook in two restaurants, sold & repossessed cars, spun wrenches & changed tires in a small town co-op & drove a water truck in the oil field. That's just what I've done on paper, I've earned a living doing a myriad of other things on the side. My dad is a driver, I love driving trucks & want to make my living getting to go places being a driver. How is the trucking industry there?

Of course I'm open minded to making a living if & when I move there so I'm curious about the job market for someone like myself there overall also.

I don't have expensive tastes or needs. A one bedroom apartment or loft would be plenty for the time being. A place for me to live is somewhere to sleep, shower, recieve mail & do laundry pretty much as I'm always out doing something. I've looked at apartments online & the cheapest I can find are in the mid 800 range which is double to quadruple to what one would pay for one here. Are there more affordable places or alternative ways of housing oneself in the area?

Being young, I'm curious about the night life. I'm not a raging drunk or hooligan by any means as I've pretty much worked all the partying out of my system by now but I do like to have a good, fun time once in awhile. Is this a boring town? Venues, bars, etc?

Also, I like going to live shows, do bands come there often?

I have been robbed twice, I'm not going into details as just thinking of it is one of the very few things that angers me. I'm not worried in the least about myself, as I've never had a problem taking care of myself in hairy situations but is there a high theft rate?

I'm an avid shooter, I don't have an arsenal of bazookas & machine guns, rather a few traditional type firearms. I occasionally hunt, upland birds mostly. I don't need to sling lead every day but do like to keep my marksmanship honed. Any problems I might have here? Shooting ranges?

That's the major things I have to ask. I'll know a lot more whether or not if I'm moving come the first of October as I have a very decisive situation looming on the horizon, It's not a bad thing, on the contrary it's a very good thing I look forward to with the greatest anticipation, just something that's private at the moment.

Pretty much if I can make a good living, with a place I can afford that's safe & friendly for my bikes, generally live a comfortable & fun life, I'll be perfectly happy.

I consider myself a generally level headed & smart individual for my age & have always lived a semi nomadic lifestyle, picking up & moving on not much more than a whim. Any help or advice here would be the greatest, cheers!

-RCP III.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM

176 posts, read 599,001 times
RCP III-
I think Portland will fit most of your needs. I see bikers all the time. There are numerous motorcycle shops in the area. Portland even just installed motorcycle/moped only parking spaces downtown! There are many shooting ranges in the area as well, and of course if hunting is your cup of tea, well, there's plenty of it in Maine. There isn't much of a nightlife, in terms of raves and dance clubs. There is the Old Port. A LOT of restaurants in the area and many bars, some with small dance floors. I think the cost of living may be a bit high, but I can't say for sure. Irfox probably can help you in the area. Overall, I think you will enjoy Maine, whether you decide to live in Portland, or in the surrounding area.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,700,439 times
You'd probably be able to find a job here with all you have done. Housing and apartments are expensive in Maine and Portland is about the highest. Heat is a big concern here and everything hinges on the price of oil. Motorcycles are popular here though you will find the comfortable riding season to be very short. You may get a day or two in April if you're brave, most of May if you dress for it, June July and August, most of September until it gets cold and maybe a couple of "Indian Summer" days in October. Figure Mid May to Mid September to be safe. There are lots of gun clubs in Maine and places to shoot like sand pits and powerlines all over the State. Gun fire is pretty much shrugged off around here with downtown Portland being the exception. Maine gets a few bands like anyplace else but it isn't like Los Angeles by any means. If you come in October the riding will be almost over and snow will be on it's way shortly after you arrive. It's also a tough time of year around here to be looking for a job.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 AM

176 posts, read 599,001 times
Oh I forgot to mention something about the music scene. There are a lot of concerts and many small venues, but most are local bands. So if you're not into local music, the "big bands" only come around a few times, if at all, a year.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,719 times
Thanks for all the replies folks, As far as riding, here in Kansas, I'd gladly give up a longer riding season with crap strait roads than a shorter one with awesome roads.

Still wondering about the trucking industry though...

Like I said, I'll know whether I'm going or not the first of October. It all hinges on this trip. Cheers!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,700,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks, As far as riding, here in Kansas, I'd gladly give up a longer riding season with crap strait roads than a shorter one with awesome roads.

Still wondering about the trucking industry though...

Like I said, I'll know whether I'm going or not the first of October. It all hinges on this trip. Cheers!
I wouldn't call the roads around here awesome. They are curvy but most of them are like the surface of the Moon! You'd be better off with a motocross bike on most of them. See thread talking about DOT cancelling most paving.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 AM

740 posts, read 1,884,906 times
You can find some awesome roads if you look hard enough. Especially along the coast and in the mountains. I used to have a GSXR so I know them well. I drive a Harley now though.
The night life is one of the best for a small city. I have traveled to every major city in the US and overseas for work and Portland has always been one of my favorite spots. People from all over Maine, NH and even Boston go there to party.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:32 PM

12,925 posts, read 22,095,344 times
I must have missed this one. I think you'll find that the motorcycle culture is alive and well in the Portland area. There are plenty of nice roads to drive on all across Maine and Northern New England. The season is short, but people make the best out of it.

Owning a gun isn't difficult either. Sure, you can't shoot in downtown Portland, but that's about the only place. I enjoyed shooting trap regularly at L.L. Bean, but there are plenty of other ranges around. You can even make your own when you get to know the area enough.

Rents in Portland are going to be more expensive than what you'll find in Kansas (I have cousins in Grantville). However, they're really not expensive when compared to what you'll find along either coast (East or West). In fact, they're cheaper than just about any small city on the Northeast Coast and most likely the West Coast too. It's really relative. Keep looking. I left a nice size two bedroom in a good location (close to downtown) with hardwood floor and in good shape for $750/mo. You can find one for below $800 with some effort and patience. Craigslist is a great bet, but H.H. Sawyer and Daughters has some nice places for good money (closer to $500-650 for good 1 bedrooms in good locations).

Portland is a small city and its amenities reflect that (comparable in size to Topeka a bit smaller than Wichita). It's very much a casual, laid back city. There's a good live and let live attitude there. I found most people to be friendly and level-headed. If you're considering moving East, there's going to be culture shock regardless of where you move, but I'd consider Portland to be an EXCELLENT place to get started (in fact, I can't think of one better). It's also very safe. Crime isn't an issue in really any neighborhood in Portland.

The nightlife in Portland was weak in my opinion for a 20-something (I'm 23). Not just a little weak, but very weak. The scene consists of about 6-8 bars along and adjacent to a small street called Wharf Street. The atmosphere is that of a pub scene. Each has subtle differences (DJ, Cover Band, No music), but are really essentially the same. There are a few scattered bars here and there in Portland (as with any city), but the "nightlife" revolved around Wharf Street (with a couple of spots scattered along Congress Street) and was relatively bland (no variety in the types of spots and not too many places to go). One can experience all Portland has to offer in terms of nightlife in one weekend easily (probably one night if you tried). It was one of my least favorite things about Portland.

However, that's one person's opinion. The people out in Portland enjoy it enough (it's really the only night spot in Maine at all). From what I saw, the people who really enjoyed Portland's nightlife fit into the following categories:
1) People who were born/raised in Maine and don't leave much
2) Those who JUST turned 21 and haven't been elsewhere
3) People who don't care for big city nightlife or nightlife in general
4) People who lived in Maine, moved, and enjoy the feel being on home turf

If you fit into one of those categories, you may like it. I can tell you that the nightlife in Portland (really the attitude towards it) annoyed me to no end. There weren't many things I plain disliked about Portland, but nightlife was one of them. The number of bars to go to are too small, so you have a VERY mixed crowd at each with ages ranging from 21- 55+ all at the same bar which can make for some really awkward interaction. I prefer a place where there always something for whatever mood your in (i.e. Singles Bars, friendly dives, upscale lounges and clubs, pubs, billiards lounges, dance clubs, etc) and Portland really doesn't have that. Because Portland and Maine are quite small, the bars in Portland act as high-school reunion hang outs. Everyone knows each other. This can make it VERY difficult for someone coming from out of state (it's one of the biggest complaints I've heard about Portland's nightlife) to meet people at a bar... rely on work or school for that. Finally, last call is at 1am and some places call it closer to 12:30. That's VERY early even by New England standards. I know Boston, Providence, etc only close at 2am generally, but those cities have lots of after-hours bars and clubs (and some that just disregard last call all together) and stay open until the break of down whereas Portland doesn't.

I don't know many people who venture to Portland from outside of Maine and parts of NH for the nightlife alone. Anyone I knew who was from Mass, VT, etc out in Portland was there because they were on a weekend getaway, visiting a friend, attending school, etc. In fact, most reviews on Portland's nightlife from people from OUTSIDE of Maine that have experienced it have been luke-warm to negative. I had a group of friends from Massachusetts and Rhode Island visit me and they were VERY disappointed. More often than not I hear negative things about Portland's nightlife from those who aren't from the area.

I agree with much of what fxtrader says on these forums, but I have a HARD time saying that Portland has one of the best nightlife for a small city. Portsmouth NH down the road is about 1/3 the size of Portland and has one that's nearly equally as good. Burlington VT has a better one as does Newport, RI, New Bedford, MA, Northampton, MA, etc and we haven't even left New England. Portland is better than many cities its size and even some larger ones in MANY MANY MANY regards, but to me, not nightlife... at least not for the 20-30 somethings.

Like I said, Portland is an outstanding city and I think you'd do very well to make it your home while moving East from Kansas. I know I emphasized the nightlife (or lack thereof) in my post but that's only because it was a HUGE pet peeve of mine during my stay in Portland. I enjoy going out just about every weekend to a variety of places and never understood the local infatuation with the "Old Port" (aka Wharf Street); it's probably because there aren't any other places to go within a reasonable distance. Anyway, I am willing to bet you'll fully enjoy Portland. Nightlife is only a small portion of a city's draw and what Portland may lack in nightlife it makes up for in other regards.

I would recommend coming out to Portland (bring your bike) for a few days this summer and check it out. If you like it, try again in Winter. If you STILL like it, then go for it. Finding jobs won't be easy, but if you look hard enough I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck!

Last edited by lrfox; 06-30-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM

300 posts, read 758,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I must have missed this one. I think you'll find that the motorcycle culture is alive and well in the Portland area. There are plenty of nice roads to drive on all across Maine and Northern New England. The season is short, but people make the best out of it.

Owning a gun isn't difficult either. Sure, you can't shoot in downtown Portland, but that's about the only place. I enjoyed shooting trap regularly at L.L. Bean, but there are plenty of other ranges around. You can even make your own when you get to know the area enough.

Rents in Portland are going to be more expensive than what you'll find in Kansas (I have cousins in Grantville). However, they're really not expensive when compared to what you'll find along either coast (East or West). In fact, they're cheaper than just about any small city on the Northeast Coast and most likely the West Coast too. It's really relative. Keep looking. I left a nice size two bedroom in a good location (close to downtown) with hardwood floor and in good shape for $750/mo. You can find one for below $800 with some effort and patience. Craigslist is a great bet, but H.H. Sawyer and Daughters has some nice places for good money (closer to $500-650 for good 1 bedrooms in good locations).

Portland is a small city and its amenities reflect that (comparable in size to Topeka a bit smaller than Wichita). It's very much a casual, laid back city. There's a good live and let live attitude there. I found most people to be friendly and level-headed. If you're considering moving East, there's going to be culture shock regardless of where you move, but I'd consider Portland to be an EXCELLENT place to get started (in fact, I can't think of one better). It's also very safe. Crime isn't an issue in really any neighborhood in Portland.

The nightlife in Portland was weak in my opinion for a 20-something (I'm 23). Not just a little weak, but very weak. The scene consists of about 6-8 bars along and adjacent to a small street called Wharf Street. The atmosphere is that of a pub scene. Each has subtle differences (DJ, Cover Band, No music), but are really essentially the same. There are a few scattered bars here and there in Portland (as with any city), but the "nightlife" revolved around Wharf Street (with a couple of spots scattered along Congress Street) and was relatively bland (no variety in the types of spots and not too many places to go). One can experience all Portland has to offer in terms of nightlife in one weekend easily (probably one night if you tried). It was one of my least favorite things about Portland.

However, that's one person's opinion. The people out in Portland enjoy it enough (it's really the only night spot in Maine at all). From what I saw, the people who really enjoyed Portland's nightlife fit into the following categories:
1) People who were born/raised in Maine and don't leave much
2) Those who JUST turned 21 and haven't been elsewhere
3) People who don't care for big city nightlife or nightlife in general
4) People who lived in Maine, moved, and enjoy the feel being on home turf

If you fit into one of those categories, you may like it. I can tell you that the nightlife in Portland (really the attitude towards it) annoyed me to no end. There weren't many things I plain disliked about Portland, but nightlife was one of them. The number of bars to go to are too small, so you have a VERY mixed crowd at each with ages ranging from 21- 55+ all at the same bar which can make for some really awkward interaction. I prefer a place where there always something for whatever mood your in (i.e. Singles Bars, friendly dives, upscale lounges and clubs, pubs, billiards lounges, dance clubs, etc) and Portland really doesn't have that. Because Portland and Maine are quite small, the bars in Portland act as high-school reunion hang outs. Everyone knows each other. This can make it VERY difficult for someone coming from out of state (it's one of the biggest complaints I've heard about Portland's nightlife) to meet people at a bar... rely on work or school for that. Finally, last call is at 1am and some places call it closer to 12:30. That's VERY early even by New England standards. I know Boston, Providence, etc only close at 2am generally, but those cities have lots of after-hours bars and clubs (and some that just disregard last call all together) and stay open until the break of down whereas Portland doesn't.

I don't know many people who venture to Portland from outside of Maine and parts of NH for the nightlife alone. Anyone I knew who was from Mass, VT, etc out in Portland was there because they were on a weekend getaway, visiting a friend, attending school, etc. In fact, most reviews on Portland's nightlife from people from OUTSIDE of Maine that have experienced it have been luke-warm to negative. I had a group of friends from Massachusetts and Rhode Island visit me and they were VERY disappointed. More often than not I hear negative things about Portland's nightlife from those who aren't from the area.

I agree with much of what fxtrader says on these forums, but I have a HARD time saying that Portland has one of the best nightlife for a small city. Portsmouth NH down the road is about 1/3 the size of Portland and has one that's nearly equally as good. Burlington VT has a better one as does Newport, RI, New Bedford, MA, Northampton, MA, etc and we haven't even left New England. Portland is better than many cities its size and even some larger ones in MANY MANY MANY regards, but to me, not nightlife... at least not for the 20-30 somethings.

Like I said, Portland is an outstanding city and I think you'd do very well to make it your home while moving East from Kansas. I know I emphasized the nightlife (or lack thereof) in my post but that's only because it was a HUGE pet peeve of mine during my stay in Portland. I enjoy going out just about every weekend to a variety of places and never understood the local infatuation with the "Old Port" (aka Wharf Street); it's probably because there aren't any other places to go within a reasonable distance. Anyway, I am willing to bet you'll fully enjoy Portland. Nightlife is only a small portion of a city's draw and what Portland may lack in nightlife it makes up for in other regards.

I would recommend coming out to Portland (bring your bike) for a few days this summer and check it out. If you like it, try again in Winter. If you STILL like it, then go for it. Finding jobs won't be easy, but if you look hard enough I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck!
IR, when you get to be a geezer like the rest of us you will appreciate places that don't have a loud nightlife :-)

I can say that where I work on Commercial I do see a decent amount of drunken partiers (sp) stumbling about on the weekend, though I don't know if that qualifies as a night life...

Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 PM

874 posts, read 1,858,462 times
I can't add much to all this other great info but one thing I've seen people do to help connect with people and get used to a move is to join twitter. There are sites that can help you find locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area