Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,509 times

Advertisements

Is your light rail system in as bad of shape at this article suggests?

TriMet Should Own Up to Its Failures | OregonLive.com

There's initiatives all over the country to build light rail including rumblings of one in my home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Is your light rail system in as bad of shape at this article suggests?

TriMet Should Own Up to Its Failures | OregonLive.com

There's initiatives all over the country to build light rail including rumblings of one in my home town.
This isn't an article. It's an opinion piece by a local right-wing radio talk show host who probably wants to drum up listenership by being inflammatory.

Instead of this, read balanced reporting by real journalists to assess the state of TriMet.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 AM

892 posts, read 2,393,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
This isn't an article. It's an opinion piece by a local right-wing radio talk show host who probably wants to drum up listenership by being inflammatory.

Instead of this, read balanced reporting by real journalists to assess the state of TriMet.
LOL, that "article" reads as "I really hate it when I have to stop my Lincoln Navigator to wait for these things to cross the street, damn hippies."

Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Tri-Met's made some mistakes (Westside light rail) but the main light rail lines have good ridership (not as high as they predicted) but in peak hours the trains are standing-room-only.

The biggest problem light rail has as commuter rail (IMO) is that there should be a downtown express (or subway) that doesn't stop every other block downtown. If you are going through town it's slow.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM

588 posts, read 2,829,713 times
I don't ride it very frequently because it's not that convenient for places I go, but a lot of people DO ride our light rail, and as far as mass transit systems go, it functions pretty well.

WES (the commuter train) was a colossal mistake, but the MAX light rail seems to be working fine. It is useful for suburbanites like myself to go downtown and avoid hunting for a parking space.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 AM

92 posts, read 113,122 times
No way is it a mistake. Lots of riders. Goes where I need it to go. Use it all the time.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Is your light rail system in as bad of shape at this article suggests?....
No.
Emphatic NO.

My point: this AM radio talk show host did not explain the reason why the light rail was built, why suburbs like Hillsboro (way out at the end of the line) see and feel a much less impact than downtown in the city of Portland, why the fare structure of the entire TriMet system is (was?) not intended as a pay-for-itself revenue stream, fares must be raised to to keep pace with operational costs. yada, yada, yada.

If your community doesn't have a specific overall Mass Transit plan, have a healthy bus system (with high ridership during rush hours) and the proposed Light Rail system is included in an integrated plan to reduce car usage by commuters, then Light Rail is just a waste of money and land use.

Do you remember $4.00 a gallon gas? Can you envision $5.00 / gallon gas in your future? It takes years to build an infrastructure that can get the masses to their jobs without using private cars. People a lot smarter than I am need to debate how each community is going to deal with the next oil shock.

Also note: the weather in Portland and Seattle is mostly mild, and although it can get wet and bone chill cold, it isn't near the freezing cold or sticky hot of Chicago, NYC, Boston, etc. Waiting for a bus or light rail may be a discomfort in Portland, but it ain't bad enough to write home about. Your community may have really hot and humid summers, would you want to stand in the afternoon heat for 20 minutes or so waiting for a light rail so everyone can then jam in nose to arm-pit?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Light rail is a financial loser in every installation in the world but one... Hong Kong. Even cities in right-to-work states that have less union impact cannot control staff/benefit costs and are regularly looking for more tax money to stay afloat.

Another example of the inadequate performance when trusting politicians and bureaucrats to run a large enterprise that has access to tax money... until it runs out.

Light rail is not an efficient proposition unless there is very high population density and limited transportation alternatives. It will continue to be a loser in most location regardless of the emotional promotion by many planners and politicians.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
cdelena, the same could be said for freeways that route through cities. Let's put a toll on them (which is what a bus/lightrail fare is) for their costs. What we pay in gas tax doesn't cover the expense, by the way.

Light rail makes high density possible. I remember Rose City Transit and Portland's streetcars (they were profit making ventures). Chrysler bought them out, put in stinky buses. From that time forward people purchased a second car and suburbia developed.

Our transit system makes it possible for many families to own just one (or even none) car like we had until the late 1940s.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
LIght rail, heavy rail, and other types of public transportation are not mistakes. They are essential to a major city. If it is kept up properly, it will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland