Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahismighty View Post
i am homeless now in pdx. there is a huge difference between homeless people and bums. i spent most of my money getting across the country to get here. i had a few good things lined up, but my trip took longer than it should have and i missed job interviews. i met a few people around town that helped me out a bit, but never more than two days. i wasnt completle prepared for the transition and now dont have enough money to ride the bus, and my wallet got stolen. so my id is gone now. and i cant get a new one without ss card and birth certificate. both i dont have and cost money to get. im out there everyday asking for work and trying to sell artwork. not everyone get thing handed to them. and some people just have a tough season of life. i guess the point is that just because someone sleeps on the sidewalk does not mean they are lazy or whatever. i have seen families living on the street because they were late on rent. the real problem is people in the business world are so greedy. they would rather see someone sleeping in the gutter than to suffer a small financial loss to help someone down on thier luck. i can understand not helping bums who do nothing to get off the street. but families and people who care about life dont deserve to live like that. i heard that vacant houses outnumber homeless people
First of all, sorry about your situation. That's not where I would want to be, and I hope you get through your "tough season of life." I think that's a pretty well-phrased descriptor for what happens to many of us as some point in our lives.

I don't see anything in your post about wanting to access services to help you (for example, getting some help to get a replacement SS card and birth certificate) so I have to assume that you don't want assistance, or don't want to jump through the hoops to get it. Certainly you're aware of Human Solutions (Help for low-income and homeless families | Human Solutions). Maybe I'm mistaken in my assumption and you've tried to get assistance but they wouldn't provide it to you for some reason?

But if you don't care to deal with "the man" to get assistance, as I think some who are homeless feel, then I have to ask: Is it a lifestyle choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 21,088 times
I'm a recent transplant to Portland. The first week out on foot, exploring all of downtown, I have to say its depressing to see so many older, homeless folks trying to, just make it thru the day. Whether, its rummaging thru trash cans for their next meal, or cleaning themselves up along the river banks, life is very difficult for these poor souls. My heart goes out to them and I try to help them, when I can. Call it Karma.
Some, clearly are suffering from mental illness and poor health, in general. Most are harmless.

However, there is another homeless group, of YOUNG people(ages 18-30's), that clearly show signs of anti social behavior and a lack of empathy towards these, old timers I mentioned.

These young transients, look to be more interested in getting their next, "fix" rather than trying to better their lives. Plus, did I mention, MOST of them, based on my observation, exhibit anti social behavior? Probably, the Meth doing all the thinking..who knows?
This group of transients can be found standing in front of Powell Book stores, large supermarkets and the south park blocks along Park ave, in downtown. IMO, they are the true form of an infestation of this beautiful and wonderful city.
I often find them slumped over inside my, supposedly safe and secure apartment complex, sprawled out in a Meth induced stupor. Sometimes, I have to climb over them, just to get to my floor as they'
ve decided to plant themselves on the staircase.

Theres a saying in Oregon, "Portland is where young people come to retire", and it clearly shows

Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah is mighty View Post
i am homeless now in pdx. there is a huge difference between homeless people and bums. i spent most of my money getting across the country to get here. i had a few good things lined up, but my trip took longer than it should have and i missed job interviews. i met a few people around town that helped me out a bit, but never more than two days. i wasn't completely prepared for the transition and now don't have enough money to ride the bus, and my wallet got stolen. so my id is gone now. and i cant get a new one without ss card and birth certificate. both i don't have and cost money to get. him out there everyday asking for work and trying to sell artwork. not everyone get thing handed to them. and some people just have a tough season of life. i guess the point is that just because someone sleeps on the sidewalk does not mean they are lazy or whatever. i have seen families living on the street because they were late on rent. the real problem is people in the business world are so greedy. they would rather see someone sleeping in the gutter than to suffer a small financial loss to help someone down on their luck. i can understand not helping bums who do nothing to get off the street. but families and people who care about life don't deserve to live like that. i heard that vacant houses outnumber homeless people
I am very sorry for you and emphasize because I was once very close to being in your position. At the time, I was a fifty year old lady who had been living in Portland for several decades who had lost her job and could not find a new one after a very long time searching for one. I had even gone back to school hoping that would make me more marketable. But I had reached a point where my savings were almost all gone and I was not going to be able to pay the rent.

What saved me were two things, since I was already living here, a friend had offered the cat and me a place to stay and at literally the eleventh hour another got me a job where she worked. But I had a taste of what it would have been like had I been in your shoes with no history here, I too would have been in the streets. So I know the difference between homeless people and bums.

I live in SE Portland in a very trendy area. I am retired now and am home a lot. I see homeless people almost every time I go outside. They are not as plentiful as you see downtown but they certainly are there. I believe they are in every Portland neighborhood but they tend to keep out of sight more. I think it is because I live near a very large grocery store and many tend to head towards there to cash in on bottles and cans that I see them more often. It is a problem and I think it is a growing one here.

All I can wish for you is better luck. Don't hold back on seeking help wherever you can. It might just be that little push that can get you started on your way. You know you are not alone here.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
i heard that vacant houses outnumber homeless people
On a related note, I heard that automobiles sitting on car lots outnumber people that are able to purchase them.
My not so subtle point is are we under the impression that if something is not being currently utilized it should be offered to one and all without consideration?
Good luck, I do hope you find a path away from your troubles.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 PM

347 posts, read 669,792 times
Quote:
i guess the point is that just because someone sleeps on the sidewalk does not mean they are lazy or whatever.
Terribly sorry for your current state of affairs but, you see, I'm stuck on the "whatever". In this instance the "whatever" was made a stupid mistake, spent all your money going somewhere you had no job and no support (either friends or family) and now paying the consequences.

It's doubtful every single person on the street made a mistake, surely there are people who just have a tough life and need help...but in this case you did make a mistake so don't go blaming "greedy" people for doing their job and following the rules of common sense. We all have our issues, rich or poor. Blaming your issues on someone else doesn't help you at all, just prevents you from fixing it. I can say this for myself as well; I'm sure we all can.

I hate to seem harsh but perhaps if we were a bit harsher to people prior to making mistakes like this, these mistakes wouldn't happen as often. Certainly if you had come to this forum prior to moving the majority would have told you not to go...it was a bad idea. Stay where you have roots and only move if you have a job or enough money to sustain yourself for a while as you look for one.

Anyway, certainly there are organizations willing to help you. Ask around, go to whatever church you belong to and ask them what they offer or if they know of someone who can help. There are probably government programs that help as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
... ...
I hate to seem harsh but perhaps if we were a bit harsher to people prior to making mistakes like this, these mistakes wouldn't happen as often. Certainly if you had come to this forum prior to moving the majority would have told you not to go...it was a bad idea. Stay where you have roots and only move if you have a job or enough money to sustain yourself for a while as you look for one. ... ...

You can't get much harsher than the warnings I give about "Job First" and "You can't live on Minimum Wage Part Time". But the dreamers and Utopia Seekers keep adding to the Doorway Population and drain the coffers of the agencies meant to help the needy, not the foolish. They just don't listen. That is why they make the bad decisions in the first place. It's called "An Unteachable Spirit". They do come to the forums. This very forum. But they ignore anything they don't want to hear.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
Could Oregon's bottle deposit law be one of the reasons members of Portland's homeless population are so visible?

If you spend your day scavenging for deposits, you're going to be noticed far more often than if you're just huddled under a bridge.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
No, that has nothing to do with it. Bottles with deposits are rarely tossed and frankly if anyone wants to pick up those that are tossed for a few coins are performing a public service cheap.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Famous last words of so many starry eyed would be transplants: "I'm not worried about the job situation there."
"Jobs are hard to find everywhere." "I'm willing to work at any low level job." "I have always been able to find work wherever I have gone." "I just know my skills in IT, massage therapy, teaching, retail, graphic design will get me a job."

And the granddaddy of all comments to advice to the contrary to these, "You are all lying because you don't want people to move there."

Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Famous last words of so many starry eyed would be transplants: "I'm not worried about the job situation there."
"Jobs are hard to find everywhere." "I'm willing to work at any low level job." "I have always been able to find work wherever I have gone." "I just know my skills in IT, massage therapy, teaching, retail, graphic design will get me a job."

And the granddaddy of all comments to advice to the contrary to these, "You are all lying because you don't want people to move there."
I'd rep you again, but I can't.

It really is quite simple, isn't it? Come here with a firm job offer in hand, or with enough cash to support yourself for a year while you look for work. Maybe you'll get a job immediately, then you've got a nice cushion of cash. But don't count on it.

And always have a contingency plan in place so you don't end up like the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland