Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM

12 posts, read 32,404 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm looking to move to Portland, because not only does it look beautiful (a little worried about the rain but I lived in Boston so I can hack it prolly) but also because apparently there is a good percentage of single guys there. I'm 33 and live in NY. Guys kill it here, and I'm not sure a lot of them are into settling down. I am though. I just want a good guy. I strong good dad material guy. I heard Portland had a bunch of guys but most of them are losers, druggies, hippies, jobless, don't wanna get married, and feminie. Please tell me that's not true!If so, should I move to Texas? Or any ideas where I should relocate to meet some great guys who are marriage age and into it. I was thinking Austin (but maybe too young), or Denver?
ANy advice helps.
Thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledesultor View Post
..............I'm 33 and live in NY. Guys kill it here, and I'm not sure a lot of them are into settling down. I am though. I just want a good guy. I strong good dad material guy...........
Greater New York......the largest metropolitan area in the USA......more than 18 million people........about 9 million males. If you can't find a suitable man there, do you really think you will better luck in Portland......or anywhere else?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 AM

Hmm...really? I think you must have misunderstood.
The problem I think IS that there are so many people. There is ahuge single scene and lots of us.Men can play here well into their 40's and not get bored. It is proven that people settle down once they are bored of the single scene, or once it dwindles and they start to feel like the old dude at the bar. In Ny there are plenty of singles to make you feel ok with being single. I think in other, smaller, communities, much like the south, people settle down a lot earlier in life.
It's not that I can't find a man here, I've dated plenty, but I'm looking for something different then this lifestyle here. A slower smaller type, where people are ready to settle down, at least more likely. One of my good friends just got married here, so I'm not saying it doesn't happen,I would just like to move somewhere where the odds are more in my favor. Hopefully that clears that up...
So if anyone has actual insight on the dating scene in portland, or other smaller cities...please don't be shy

Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
It is a verifiable fact that every single man in Portland is exactly the same!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 AM

Care to enlighten me in what ways exactly?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 AM

192 posts, read 454,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledesultor View Post
It is proven that people settle down once they are bored of the single scene, or once it dwindles and they start to feel like the old dude at the bar.
So you want a man who will marry you because he's bored of being single?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Greater New York......the largest metropolitan area in the USA......more than 18 million people........about 9 million males. If you can't find a suitable man there, do you really think you will better luck in Portland......or anywhere else?
Have you never seen this?
Google Image Result for http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Graphic/2008/03/29/1206808144_5800.jpg

Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
OP, if your number one priority is marriage I think Austin or Denver, or any other midwestern city will be better than a West Coast city. The West Coast has a kind of delayed life thing going on, where almost everything, marriage, buying a house, kids, jobs are delayed for years. There is definitely a feeling that it's okay and even cool to be single in your 30s here, which is definitely not the case in a lot of the US.
I think a lot of people here are into doing their own thing, and if a relationship happens, great, and if not they just keep doing their own thing.
Frankly Portland would be pretty low on my list of cities I would want to be single in.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
That explains why I get hit on so much when I'm on the east coast!

I just thought I was maturing and the salt and pepper was making the women swoon, turns out they're just desperate!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Young single men? Silicon valley, but they are absorbed in their careers.

I agree with an earlier poster, the mid-west would have more single men interested in marriage. The economy in the mid-west is doing well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland