Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
There is a possibility I will be moving to Portland in about 2 years after I save up the moving for moving expenses and living expenses. Now I will have to look into things a little more deeply before I do. TY for the tip about Portlanders.
A cross country move requires a lot of careful research regardless of what you read on an internet forum.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
There is a possibility I will be moving to Portland in about 2 years after I save up the moving for moving expenses and living expenses. Now I will have to look into things a little more deeply before I do. TY for the tip about Portlanders.
If you do not take those two years to visit Portland and spend time here to see for yourself what the city is like and form your own opinions, you will not be making a smart move. Just saving up for moving and living expenses isn't enough.

The first thing you should be doing is asking people here on this forum about your concerns like jobs, housing, activities, weather etc. Why Portland in the first place? What are you looking for in a city? On what criteria are you basing your decision to move here?

Saying you will have to look more deeply into things before you move is an understatement. It shouldn't take one post by someone to prompt you to do that. You should be doing that anyway.

As Kimballette pointed out, it's not just Portland. You should be asking these questions about any place to which you are looking to move. And the biggest question, wherever you choose, should be "why are you choosing that place?"

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Like anywhere else I want to visit, Ive heard good and bad stuff about Portland. As a freedom hatin' kommie liberal, artist, musician, I still want to visit to see for myself. No one says " It's OK", they are all vehemently for or against.
Is Portland vastly different than Eugene ? How about compared to Seattle? I plan on doing a scooter trip to Frisco, then up the coast to the Humboldt-Eureka areas then into Portland and maybe Seattle . . . Inquiring minds want to know !

I have a good S.O. and cats though, so all good that way

Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
May I offer a modest suggestion. Before you move anywhere, get skills! People who have trouble where they are probably lack skills that are in demand. I remember graduating with a BA but precious little skills in demand. My degree became a boat anchor. At that time, if I'd searched for a place that wanted my degree, I could have built an on the job record that would have eased my path everywhere. Truth is, the best place to get jobs is where people DON'T want to be! Utah, Idaho, North and South Dakota. But if a person takes a strategic look at work and builds a resume in the unwanted areas, THEN they can slide into nice jobs in paradise. I don't know if that was the intent in Up In The Air. The girl who graduated with an MBA got a job in Omaha Nebraska. The job was no fun, but she got an invaluable connection that recommended her to a friend in San Francisco. I think that does represent how a lot of career curves go. You just don't start where quality of life is that high. That was my big mistake. I liked where I was and took any job to stay there. Didn't want to take exams for jobs in Washington DC, but that was my naivete.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM

192 posts, read 454,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughlan616 View Post
I thought I did thorough research and the place still didn't pan out for me so what gives? This comes from someone who did his homework too. The weather wasn't even it and honestly, I think they use that for an excuse.. theres OTHER problems. Many of my issues were actually in broad sunlight.
"Wherever you go, there you are."

Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Isn't it great that we have such a big country. There is a place for each of us.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM

378 posts, read 974,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilighter View Post
"Wherever you go, there you are."
I've often found the only common thread among all of my failures is myself.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Its not all roses and Portlandia like people are lead to believe.
I don't understand why people think that Portlandia is a documentary.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 AM

286 posts, read 521,344 times
Quote:
...The weather, great.. everything else sucks though...
I believe you have this exactly backwards....

Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
They don't call this the wild west for nothing.
Not to nit pick, but Oregon was never called the Wild West. "The Wild West" was Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico area. Granted Oregon certainly has it's wild days, but it wasn't all stage coaches, cattle rustlers, gold miners, wagon trains, long dusty trails, and armed men gallivanting about on horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland