Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 77,475 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am seriously considering moving to Portland from Chicago. I'd be renting an apartment. I've heard about the weather and so on, but I am really lost when looking for apartments online. I have no idea if there are safer areas than others, more affordable places or which parts are good/bad for parking and public transit.

Please help. If possible include street names/addresses as boundries. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,173,508 times
One of your best resources is to use the website <www.portlandmaps.com>.
You can enter any address, and find all kinds of statistical details about the neighborhood.

Another great website to evaluate sections of town is <www.movingtoportland.com>. It does a great job (in my opinion) of describing the character of different neighborhoods.

A lot depends on what is more important for you in a place to live. What's most important to you?

Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM

17 posts, read 358,997 times
Are you coming to PDX for a job or school?
Pretty much any address in Portland that is NW or SW is going to be clean and safe, and if you stay between 1st & about 30th Ave you'll find some pretty cool places.
NW 23rd & NW 21st are real nice, as is the Pearl, which is bordered by Burnside, Hwy 405, Fremont Bridge, and the river.

Even though it's cheap, I would stay away from E 82nd.

Beaverton and Hillsboro are nice, but very typical suburbs. They do have easy access to the MAX line though.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 PM

118 posts, read 419,791 times
I live in Troutdale which I have to say is a great place to live! Close to the city, yet so close to the rural mountains. It's great!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 77,475 times
Default thanks

thanks guys, I will check out those websites and keep those streets in mind.

What is important to me about where I want to live in Portland?
affordable yet safe living is all I am really concerned with, and I would like a yard, and easy parking!

And I am moving for no particular reason.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 65,949 times
Like lindsey....I want to move to Portland for no paticular reason....I guess I am just tired of the east coast....but my situation is different....I am a single father of 2 boys and not only need a safe affordable place....but near school...

And also what is the job market like there?....

Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 PM

393 posts, read 1,500,039 times
I'm looking into moving to Portland as well. First I thought I'd try to find a job then move but I might be better off (read: able to move quicker) if I move then work a temp job while I look for a permanent. Anyone able to provide names of some of the bigger businesses in the area?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,350,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briano06 View Post
...And also what is the job market like there?....
What job do you want? Pretty good market, but recent layoffs at Freightliner trucks is gonna create so 'skilled' competition. It is not the 'Union' stronghold of 25 yrs ago, so the skilled jobs of $30/hr are few, excluding medical. There has also been significant layoffs in the high tech world at Intel, and HP. These people can't get replacement jobs of previous income level. Generally wages are declining (from previous per capita highs) and cost of living increasing. This is happening all over USA, but definately in PNW, lots of 'Nafta' / off-shore access to businesses.

Fuel prices are high

Old 03-13-2007, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 48,731 times
Lindsey, I lived in Portland for 40 years. They dont support their schools and welcome heroin users to run free downtown. The food sucks, except for a few seafood restaurants. Stay in Chicago and avoid the depressed scum in Portland.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM

35 posts, read 354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lholcombe View Post
Lindsey, I lived in Portland for 40 years. They dont support their schools and welcome heroin users to run free downtown. The food sucks, except for a few seafood restaurants. Stay in Chicago and avoid the depressed scum in Portland.

I think the operative word in your post is 'Lived' in Portland. Maybe it has changed. Please don't discourage others - let people follow their dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland