Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 9,861 times

Advertisements

Some people like that kind of weather! I visited Vancouver, BC this summer and it rained or was cloudy the entire time I was there, I loved it. I would love living somewhere mild or cold and rainy or snowy most of the year.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
In the mid-70's, Pres. Ford and the hippie Congress
As you can see, not all of the Portland political fringe is left-wing....

Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM

67 posts, read 213,800 times
Default Thank You

Thank you for sharing the experiences with the agressive behavior of some street people.

I meant to open meaningful dialogue about how the rights of working professionals and visitors are going to balance with the growing population of indigent people being welcomed into Portland. From what I saw, it is becoming harder to do both.

At the very least, I believe the issue needs pro-active management before it gets out of control and that could happen because of the apparent open invitation for more of these unfortunate people (low lifes, because I was angry), to come to Portland.

One community (any community) cannot financially support a larger than average percentage of indigent to the productive, tax paying population.

Visitors will remember a bad experience in Portland, word will get out on travel sites, etc. and Portland's tourism will decline and a very important tax base will decline.

San Francisco found this out (in the 70's) when conventions began to cancel because of agressive panhandling outside the downtown convention center. Now, because of management, those people have a place, as they do in San Diego and Sacramento but they are not encouraged or allowed to interfere with the economy or quality of life of others and that is not seen as violating their rights. Someone will ask for a dollar for a "cup of coffee" but they can't do more than ask. It is a standard of behavior that is enforced and they get the message, once the boundary is set. There are of course, people still talking to buses; that hasn't stopped.

Portlanders want to be thought of as good people who allow for everyone but the community can only do that, up to a point.

If, for example, an attempt was made to move the missions, etc. to a different Portland location and limit access to downtown and residential neighborhoods with families for example, that would accomplish several things. At least downtown Portland could remain a hospitable, safe environment for visitors and businesspeople, while protecting the "rights" of a minority.

The security guard at the Portland Saturday Market has worked around the Burnside Bridge for 8 years. Every night he interrupts drug traffic, postitution, violence, etc. One night a fight broke out; several booths were destroyed. Several times each night with no public restrooms, several men come into the empty booth space to pee. One afternoon, an intoxicated man entered the market and proceeded to pee in front of dozens of people. Of course, the police came and arrested him but how do you think that this kind of behavior affected the market's image?

At some level, I am attached to Portland and would like to see things work with all the the effort and money being spent to develop the waterfront and create a "green" image and sell real estate because of a real quality of life, this current homeless situation may ultimately destroy a lot.

If you see indigent people becoming agressive in groups, there could be gang laws already on the books. That is just one idea. By the way, if you see indigents approach in groups, that is a sign that the scale may be tipping. That is the time to picket city hall.

Anyway, I am very happy in Sacramento and visited San Francisco last night for dinner and what an amazing city! Really spectacular...really thriving...very prosperous and I am predicting San Francisco will survive the economic crisis better than any other city on the west coast.

Only in the Northwest, would I encounter an argument about women's rights. Hey man! That argument was already won. I have already employed hundreds of people, started many businesses, managed non profit corporations. Don't waste precious time telling me what I can't do. We (women) have already done it. Get to work on other issues that need you.

later.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoorforpatriots View Post
In the mid-70's, Pres. Ford and the hippie Congress passed the ERA giving our 'less-than-equal-to-their-men' women a false equality. Our women are NOT equal to we men, but rather, we men have been charged to protect our 'weaker-in-character' women from the actual perversion Pres. Ford and the hippie Congress gave to them.This perversion went over the heads of most everyone my age, "46", and the world started out in a completely new way in America. Any talk of this now is labelled discrimination, and perverted judges and politicians and our leaders succumb to this pressure to hold up the false equality standard, which destroys our nations infrastructure of true God-given morality. Now, because of women's lack of ability in discerning this perversion given to them decades back, their important God-given roles as supports for the well-being of their husbands they are clueless to. Their would-be husbands must go without their needed support, as well as having no, or few children to pass the legacy of America to. We as a nation must also see the degradation of our nation because of the invading robbers invading and robbing all. But because we as a nation are so cluelessly brainwashed of the good Patriotic ways that were abandoned by pervert Ford, and the perverted 70's Congress, many younger of us actually welcome the trashy culture-killing invading robbers. Our Patriotic minds have been erased by the innately perverted women who are as anti-Patriotic as possible. The Patriotic men of our nation SHOULD be the ONLY teachers in our schools. Women in charge of anything in our nation, ARE OUR END! As for Portland, most people here are as clueless as possible. Many Portlanders LOVE LIKE CRAZY the invading robbers who are here to steal our, and our children's inheritances from us. People younger than 50 years old should not be allowed to vote, nor should women be allowed to vote. Women are innate bastards unable to protect America from ANYTHING! And the young people who grew up under the perverted authority of innately bastard women are clueless still of need for Patriotism to protect us from the invading robbers. There are still good men here. I know many of the cops are good men, but they have perverted mayors, one after another, after another, after another. But, Portland is still close to nature, and here is not as bad as big cities yet...
Well the one good thing about your scenario is that you would not be allowed to vote.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss61 View Post
Only in the Northwest, would I encounter an argument about women's rights. Hey man! That argument was already won. I have already employed hundreds of people, started many businesses, managed non profit corporations. Don't waste precious time telling me what I can't do. We (women) have already done it. Get to work on other issues that need you.
I don't think anything I said has to do with women's rights, unless you are saying women are above obeying housing law. The law provides protection and regulations for all citizens to obey and provides non discrimination in housing. You should know this if you have started many businesses, the FHEO (fair housing and equal opportunity administration) is pretty extensive, I know it being a just graduated business student. What applies for one applies to all or it is an unjust law.

It is incredibly sexist to accuse other people of sexism if they criticize you, but that has been shown over and over again before. I thoroughly believe you see sexism and discrimination in every male face and hear it in every male voice, but that's your problem and not society at large. If I hate people because they are female, you would find it unacceptable and sexist. However you spit on me for being male and find it acceptable. You have become what you hate....a raging sexist.

Last edited by subsound; 11-17-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling and addition

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 AM

115 posts, read 174,775 times
[SIZE=5]PNW-type-gal[/SIZE]

Have you ever been to NYC? I am basicaly leaving NYC as soon as a I can because I cant deal with the crowds and hyperactivity anymore. Im sure Portland doesnt feel as chaotic as NYC. To what extent is its hustle and bustle as well as crowds?

Have you ever been to Eugene? Im going to go there for college if I get accepted.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 AM

115 posts, read 174,775 times
Sunsound, you are probably an old beget who will die soon. Good for you.

While you say you are from "morality purposes" you really are trying to poison humanity the way humanity poisoned itself in its past and present. The best humanity can do is just repair itself from everything that has happened in it.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
Sunsound, you are probably an old beget who will die soon. Good for you.

While you say you are from "morality purposes" you really are trying to poison humanity the way humanity poisoned itself in its past and present. The best humanity can do is just repair itself from everything that has happened in it.
If you want to accuse me of something please at least spell it right. If I just graduated from B school, it's pretty reasonable to assume I'm pretty young as well.

If wishing everyone having equality is bigoted, then sign me up. What applies to me applies to everyone else, and the same that applies to everyone else applies to me. No special treatment and no detrimental treatment either for anyone because of what they are.

Defending a person saying Men are, in one of the most bigoted things I have ever read, I quote, "...so oversold on sex that they can't tell the difference between honor and addiction to sex and alcohol. Too many men have lost their way. Too many men believe this is normal behavior and they slap each other on the back and make excuses for each other.

All women are prey...just easy prey in cities like Portland.

I keep asking them..are you going to be in a strip club when the next terrorist attack comes?

It's one thing if you don't care about my life or my body as your sister and fellow American but how do you live with yourself?

If you are one of these men living in Portland...you need to start showing up for relationships with your wives, sisters and daughters and you need to find your way home...to yourselves...so we can love and respect you again." is spitting poison. Defending that is repairing nothing. You can't repair things by hating people because they are the same race/gender as people who did those terrible things before. That's Psychotic.

I'm sorry it seems to offend a couple people I'm a white male, but hate speech against white male is no different then against any other race or against women. All of that kind of crap needs to be outlawed, there is no double standard. If you hate people for what they are then you are becoming what you are assuming I am. Remember "Assuming makes an *** of you and me".

Last edited by subsound; 11-18-2008 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Remember "Assuming makes an *** of you and me".
Actually, it doesn't. It makes an a** of "u" and ming. Whoever he or she is.

I'm surprised someone who just graduated missed that. Especially one so expert in spelling.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, it doesn't. It makes an a** of "u" and ming. Whoever he or she is.

I'm surprised someone who just graduated missed that. Especially one so expert in spelling.
Well, bad jokes were only covered briefly in one class I was better at math.

Subsound and Sunsound are kind of similar I guess. Though beget (meaning to spawn) and Bigot (racist) is a bit off. If I was an old Beget, does it mean I have a lot of kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland