Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
This post is less about racial relations, more about the OP state of mind.
in one sentence, ethnic dislike in the next, anti-gay sentiment in the third.
He should be told "you have unresolved emotional issues, seek psychological help, get some friends, try to reconnect with your family".
Instead he is cajoled and appeased, like a kid with temper tantrum "Johnny, please don't break that window and we'll buy you a new iPad"

How would this thread go if he skipped "the Seattle devils", "most miserable/hateful experience of my adult life", "Ethiopian invasion", "Seattle has a hatred/racism problem", and posted something like this?

"I am a finance professional who thinks about moving to Portland. I currently live in Seattle and experience firsthand the infamous Seattle Freeze. I am an environmentally conscious cyclist, atheist, and love the Pacific Northwest. Any advice how would I fit in your city?"
You should move here! You would love it. Just dont tell people you work in finance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM

159 posts, read 409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEyez View Post
Hmmm...

I am a single black woman with a mixed race child. Am I to believe that Portland would not be a good move for us?
due to tension and racism?
I must admit I'm very surprised especially since I am from Virginia lol.

This is unfortunate to hear because I really have my eyes set on Portland. I plan on visiting during the summer to be sure. I wasn't planning on moving for another 3 years... (Still working on my nursing degree and want to work here in my area for experience before moving)
Ya'll are making it sound like blacks are not even welcomed in Portland... that is sad.

I have tattoos, cannabis lover, I'm very laid back, I love music and the arts, I love everyone no matter who they are or what they look like. (Not that any of that matters....and def not my reasons for wanting to move)
Anyway, I thought Portland would be a good move for me. I've only heard great things. A friend of mine who has lived in Portland (has family there) and is now in Washington did not mention any of this. I'm going to ask her about this as well.

Very interesting, indeed.....

Curvyeyez you'll be fine here in Portland. It isn't necessarily unwelcoming to blacks its just that its not a lot of us here. I mean its not like you're going to be the only black person living in Portland. Although very small, there is about 36,000 of us residing in the city. Like one of the posters said if you're looking for a "black environment" than Portland is not the city for you, but if you want to meet people who indulge in various lifestyles then Portland will be just what you're looking for.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM

133 posts, read 253,093 times
Default Can We Get Along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
This post is less about racial relations, more about the OP state of mind.
in one sentence, ethnic dislike in the next, anti-gay sentiment in the third.
He should be told "you have unresolved emotional issues, seek psychological help, get some friends, try to reconnect with your family".
Instead he is cajoled and appeased, like a kid with temper tantrum "Johnny, please don't break that window and we'll buy you a new iPad"

How would this thread go if he skipped "the Seattle devils", "most miserable/hateful experience of my adult life", "Ethiopian invasion", "Seattle has a hatred/racism problem", and posted something like this?

"I am a finance professional who thinks about moving to Portland. I currently live in Seattle and experience firsthand the infamous Seattle Freeze. I am an environmentally conscious cyclist, atheist, and love the Pacific Northwest. Any advice how would I fit in your city?"
My raw soul won't let me be PC like you. You right, I'm unhappy about the Somalian and Ethiopian muslims replacing original Negros in Columbia City and South Seattle because the women wear black trash bags year-round! Goddammit I want to see cleavage and live in a community that promotes sensuality; it's healthy for us. But Seattle felt like an erection killer. And many Seattle Muslims were against Referendum 74 (marriage equality); they come here and then oppose Seattle's progressive values. Not coo! Btw, I voted Yes for 74. I tried to love Seattle but the spawn of Satan ruined it for me.

I'm grateful for the graceful PDX commenters who've "cajoled" me. Honestly, makes me want to live in Portland even more.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM

127 posts, read 306,657 times
I think it's more class division from simple simon mofo's than anything else. America is going back to pre-WW2 when the rich had to dress nice, and poor had to dress nicer. We can thank political-correctness gone wild, an unintended corporatizing of society. The poor treatment or sentiment you get is the backlash coming from both liberal & conservative, white & non-white.

I get a lot of looks as well. I'm a well-dressed Asian/repub/military/concealcarry, so naturally, Americans think I'm from Canada or China on a shopping spree. I did get stares at the Marysville Costco Gas pump where people appear, 'How the F did this Canadian get a Costco membership?? He probably bought the whole sub-division next to my yard.'

No escape. In Seattle, I'm a Canadian. In Portland, I'm a Refugee from 'Nam. But I'm a native Yorker. I haven't set foot in Vancouver BC since 1989 when local Canuck girls walked around braless!

This economic 'recovery' has festered for so long it has blurred left vs right. Class/income is a bigger issue today than ever. Even a slight appearance of wealth with a coat from Macy's can create a stupid confrontation now. That's a really bad sign. I truly believe we were in a moderate economic Depression, but the gov't had forbid the word and thought in the public's mind.

Black in the Pac NW? Consider Vancouver, WA and Beaverton, OR. A lot of disenchanted but very industrious black families moved to those areas, where most newcomers are from California, totally chillax. Blacks went through sheer hell and a nuclear winter during the 90's gentrification of Portland, hence lack of a unified yes/no answer to your question. They're in the 'Couve and B-Town today.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM

rainierman, thanks for the all-around insightful comment.

"I haven't set foot in Vancouver BC since 1989 when local Canuck girls walked around braless!" Must have been a lovely time in history.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I just grow weary of the discussion in the first place. I lived in DC, "Chocolate City," and got to hear about the "black experience" from a lot of people. I think Portlanders just don't give a crap. That doesn't mean they are racist, it just means they aren't jumping through burning hoolah hoops to learn about your "struggle" and "experience." And I think this not giving a crap rubs many black folks the wrong way into thinking that Portland isn't a good place for blacks to live.

Idiotic post. Nobody said black people wanted whites to learn about the "black experience". Quite frankly, most blacks could care less weather they want to learn about it or not. But what we do care about is being treated with the same dignity and respect as anyone else, you know, something the United States historically has had a hard time doing in matters concerning African Americans. To be honest, nobody thinks about Portland white or black outside those living or interested in moving here. So get off your high horse ok?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Default Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
Idiotic post. Nobody said black people wanted whites to learn about the "black experience". Quite frankly, most blacks could care less weather they want to learn about it or not. But what we do care about is being treated with the same dignity and respect as anyone else, you know, something the United States historically has had a hard time doing in matters concerning African Americans. To be honest, nobody thinks about Portland white or black outside those living or interested in moving here. So get off your high horse ok?
Preach!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
My raw soul won't let me be PC like you. You right, I'm unhappy about the Somalian and Ethiopian muslims replacing original Negros in Columbia City and South Seattle because the women wear black trash bags year-round! Goddammit I want to see cleavage and live in a community that promotes sensuality; it's healthy for us. But Seattle felt like an erection killer. And many Seattle Muslims were against Referendum 74 (marriage equality); they come here and then oppose Seattle's progressive values. Not coo! Btw, I voted Yes for 74. I tried to love Seattle but the spawn of Satan ruined it for me.

I'm grateful for the graceful PDX commenters who've "cajoled" me. Honestly, makes me want to live in Portland even more.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
Idiotic post. Nobody said black people wanted whites to learn about the "black experience". Quite frankly, most blacks could care less weather they want to learn about it or not.But what we do care about is being treated with the same dignity and respect as anyone else, you know, something the United States historically has had a hard time doing in matters concerning African Americans. To be honest, nobody thinks about Portland white or black outside those living or interested in moving here. So get off your high horse ok?
If only it wasn't so true.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 PM

The only thing that's true is that you're an idiot of the highest order. You're the kind of person that hides your backwards opinion behind a computer but could never face anyone in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland