Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:50 PM

133 posts, read 253,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I understand how you can feel that way because when I was out there looking for work and I felt extremely qualified but was turned down, I couldn't help but feel I was facing ageism. But maybe that wasn't the reason and the competition was just more qualified. Who knows? Portland isn't any different than any other city in that respect.

Years ago and I am talking about the 60's and early 70's I was turned down for jobs because they were considered to be "men's jobs." In those cases there was no doubt about it. I was told to my face that was the reason. But at that time it was so ingrained in society that no one even thought of it as discrimination. That was back in the big city of Chicago where one would think people would have been more enlightened.

I think there is racial discrimination and gender bias still today but it is not as overt as in the past. So it is difficult to say what is at play in a given situation. But when you see certain trends, like the one I described in my other post, where people of a certain age group are continually being turned down for jobs, you know there is a bias.

Since Portland has a reputation of being such a liberal city, people don't like to think that there is any kind of discrimination here. But human nature being what it is, no one can give anyone guarantees they won't run into it.
PBS Newshour did a story on ageism and it's certainly real in the job market. You've faced two forms of discrimination but have managed to not let it harden your heart it seems. That's admirable. I admit, I left Seattle as an Angry Black Man. Maybe I'm still angry but I don't want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
PBS Newshour did a story on ageism and it's certainly real in the job market. You've faced two forms of discrimination but have managed to not let it harden your heart it seems. That's admirable. I admit, I left Seattle as an Angry Black Man. Maybe I'm still angry but I don't want to be.
It's one of the benefits of being older, sometimes you only have so much energy so you have to focus it all on that task at hand; surviving. Someone had to support the cat and me.

But seriously though, don't let your anger get the better of you. Don't bottle it up but don't let it consume you to the point where it interferes with your goals. I know words, words, words, but you have to, as they say, "keep your eye on the prize." The prize is your job and the best place to live. It's whatever you need to make your life livable for you. If Seattle failed you then goodbye Seattle and onward to someplace else.

I born and raised in the Midwest and I understand the cultural differences you are facing. What you may perceive as prejudiced is somewhat NW behavior. I don't get doors held open all too often for me either and I am an old white lady.

But seriously, you are young and you don't have to stay in one place if it doesn't feel right whatever the reason. I wish you all the best in finding the one that is.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
portland will be worse, its less diverse, more provincial, more hickish and more narrow minded than seattle, despite what anyone tries to tell ya, the black pop. is jus too small so you will stand out, esp the suburbs so id either stay in seattle or move out this region all together, as its not well suited for black people
u seem like u fit the NW though so maybe u jus need to move to another part of seattle or a burb thats more diverse and accepting
Outside of Portland yes, I would agree with you...gets backwater and redneckish a lot quicker if you leave downtown in any direction than it does in Seattle. If you spend most of your time in Multnomah county and the city proper it's a fairly accepting and cumbaya type atmosphere though. Nicer and more pleasant than Seattle in a way.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:31 PM

133 posts, read 253,264 times
Default Good To Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Outside of Portland yes, I would agree with you...gets backwater and redneckish a lot quicker if you leave downtown in any direction than it does in Seattle. If you spend most of your time in Multnomah county and the city proper it's a fairly accepting and cumbaya type atmosphere though. Nicer and more pleasant than Seattle in a way.
Thanks, this is good to know.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM

49 posts, read 85,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
portland will be worse, its less diverse, more provincial, more hickish and more narrow minded than seattle, despite what anyone tries to tell ya, the black pop. is jus too small so you will stand out, esp the suburbs so id either stay in seattle or move out this region all together, as its not well suited for black people
u seem like u fit the NW though so maybe u jus need to move to another part of seattle or a burb thats more diverse and accepting
Think Boston only more laidback and backwater ish. Is the op crazy or something? Why would anyone black want to even consider Portland? I was Italian and had a heavy Italian last name, look a little jewish to some and didn't do too great there so.. unless you're playing basketball for the blazers, I just don't see it.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
I traveled around Oregon for two weeks to visit scenic areas. I put over 1500 miles on the car. After my wife and I visited Portland, we did not see one black person for the rest of the trip. That might tell you how welcome Negros are in the state.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 12-30-2013 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I traveled around Oregon for two weeks to visit scenic areas. I put over 1500 miles on the car. After my wife and I visited Portland, we did not see one black person for the rest of the trip. That might tell you how welcome Negros are in the state.
Wait ... did you see the "No Negros welcome" sign out? If not, you're very likely coming to a false conclusion.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
........ we did not see one black person for the rest of the trip. That might tell you how welcome Negros are in the state.
I think it is much more likely to tell you how many persons of African descent choose to move to Oregon and how many choose to move to a different type of state. Unless, you think that we are going out at night, hitting them over the head, and burying them up in the Cascades because they aren't welcome here and that's why you haven't seen them?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
No negros? That was the first word that popped in your head? If you are curious you can study the migration of African Americans in this country to get a good idea why there isn't as many of them in the northwest as there are in other parts of the country.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Wait ... did you see the "No Negros welcome" sign out? If not, you're very likely coming to a false conclusion.
If he was born before 1927, he might have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland