Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times

Advertisements

Man....a few posters truly ruin this forum. It's absolutely out of control. It's the same in the Bend sub.

Google fiber potentially coming to town is a great thing. Competition is good. Especially when that competition offers 100x the speed of competitors at the same cost. As someone else already highlighted, once Google Fiber was introduced the existing ISP's magically upped their speeds over night. In KS Time Warner not only upped their speeds, but also lowered their bills.

Sources: Time Warner Boosts My Speed, Cuts My Bill: I Just Happen To Live Near Google Fiber & Google Fiber: Rival data speeds increasing as Fiber forces competition | BGR

Competition is good. Especially when it lowers costs AND yields better services. It's weird that anyone would argue against this. Especially given their leanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Man....a few posters truly ruin this forum. It's absolutely out of control. It's the same in the Bend sub. ...

... It's weird that anyone would argue against this. Especially given their leanings.
So true. So often these contrarians come in with an opposing view but present no data and expect others to just accept their word. And if you dare question their supreme knowledge they accuse you of stalking or trolling or violating the TOS. Many of us have experienced this. Then they lose credibility and it's difficult to accept anything they say as true.

Actually I think that's sad because sometimes they do have some knowledge that would add value to the thread, but their lack of credibility basically cancels that out.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Just click on their name, click on "User Lists" and then "Add to Ignore List."

Life is so much happier after I started using that feature.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
... ...

Google fiber potentially coming to town is a great thing ... ...

The Key word here is potentially. Google is not coming to Portland. They are only asking the citizen geeks to badger the city council so they can consider building in Portland.

There is no announcement of a build, only the request to harass the city into letting them have a free ride.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
The title of this thread? "Google Fiber May Be Coming To Portland"

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM

So "May" is another key word. By the time it happens it will be just another outdated service.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
They are only asking the citizen geeks to badger the city council so they can consider building in Portland.

There is no announcement of a build, only the request to harass the city into letting them have a free ride.
I agree they are asking the citizen to 'badger' (if you want to use that description) the city so they can make sure to get through with little bureaucracy. Essentially fast tracked. This is a business practice. Welcome to 'capitalism'.

My personal opinions: I think while this is good in the short and even medium term for customers, long term wise being beholden to Google rather than Comcast could also prove 'bad'.

Quote:
So "May" is another key word. By the time it happens it will be just another outdated service.
You're literally not arguing with anyone with this 'point'. No one believes it is here right now or that it will absolutely unequivocally come to Portland. What is your deal?

The only person who has made unequivocally statements to this end is YOU:
Quote:
Google is not coming to Portland.
Stop accusing people when you are literally the only one making wild unequivocally statements.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Sorry but it was Google who used the word "Badger".

Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry but it was Google who used the word "Badger".
Arguing with yourself again I see.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I agree they are asking the citizen to 'badger' (if you want to use that description) ... ...
It wasn't my word, it was Google's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland