Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 AM

497 posts, read 554,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Actually your major issue is that you're trying to put more cars in Portland when the goal is less cars. You also did not account for the fact that three of the streets in your maps each have one lane dedicated to MAX trains already. While two more have an entire lane dedicated to bikes (which incidentally account for about 25,000 trips per a day within the Downtown core.) Shifting your model a few streets isn't going to work either, because if anything it's smoother and less dense traffic in other areas.
I would be surprised if the volume of vehicles increased in the downtown core after banning vehicles on half the downtown streets. The capacity of many of the existing streets that are currently 2-3 lanes would drop to zero (ie. no cars). The idea that a ban of vehicles on half the downtown streets would somehow lead to more vehicles in downtown is a bit perplexing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
I would be surprised if the volume of vehicles increased in the downtown core after banning vehicles on half the downtown streets. The capacity of many of the existing streets that are currently 2-3 lanes would drop to zero (ie. no cars). The idea that a ban of vehicles on half the downtown streets would somehow lead to more vehicles in downtown is a bit perplexing.
Currently all the streets in downtown are below capacity, you currently have a limited number of north/south streets and the east/west streets are designed to be service streets that often times leads to parking garage entrances and trash pick up, and a limited number of east/west streets that lead to bridges.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
You're horrible with Math. 70% isn't half.

If you shut down half the roads to traffic, there's likely to be a reduction in capacity. The latest trend is to convert one-way streets to two-way streets which leads to a similar reduction in capacity, but it's still done.

Ever hear of the "two second rule"? The following distance between vehicles increase as the speeds increase, which explains why the vehicles in the proposed model are spaced further apart. This is intuitive to most people.
No, actually I'm not horrible at math. I'm pretty darn good at it, but I am horrible at trusting the word of fools.

None of your arguments are convincing me that there is any logical reason on earth to use this idiotic plan to change the grid of a city that doesn't need your help.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

Bike density would be a good thing though as the bulk of those trips are multi-mile trips. If you want to play urban planner a better idea would be a way to more efficiency dump traffic from I-5 and Barbur Boulevard Downtown, and to remove it via I-405 and I-5. That backup from that makes more of a problem then smoother traffic downtown.
Agree with hamellr and urbanlife. The traffic flow problems that exist downtown have nothing to do with the grid. In and of itself, driving downtown is mostly fine. Even at the heart of rush hour I generally have no problem moving around in downtown (on foot, by bike, by car), it's getting out of downtown by car that's the problem.

The problems that do exist:

-Major thoroughfares are poorly designed for flow (e.g. the mess that is 26 turning from a highway into a meandering wobble past PSU with some bizarre turns before reaching the Ross Island Bridge). If it's not the epitome of inefficient flow, it's close.
-Places where the grid ceases to be a grid entirely. The Pearl/NW run on a traditional N/S/E/W grid. The south half of downtown is askew at roughly a 145 degree angle. The two collide somewhat awkwardly in a manner that's manageable, but still loses efficiency.
-Major streets that allow left hand turns at rush with no protected turn lanes (Burnside in particular)

The OP is solving a problem that, if it exists at all, is waaaay down the list.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
If you shut down half the roads to traffic, there's likely to be a reduction in capacity. The latest trend is to convert one-way streets to two-way streets which leads to a similar reduction in capacity, but it's still done.
If you double the speed of traffic, you move twice as much traffic in the same amount of time so capacity doubles [assuming that the light change would exactly double the average speed]. But you halved road capacity by closing every other street, so the two changes cancel out, led to theoricatlly the same capacity.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you double the speed of traffic, you move twice as much traffic in the same amount of time so capacity doubles [assuming that the light change would exactly double the average speed].
This is incorrect. If it was only that easy!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Which streets in Portland would you want to close off to cars?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:05 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
I agree with you there, but I still think you're looking at Portland wrong if you're focused on the grid at all.

Enough of the city is a grid to fool someone looking quickly at the map (and technically I believe it qualifies as a 'modified grid'), but with the river, bridges, elevation, and curious road layout choices, it's the 'modified' part of that moniker that's the problem almost everywhere in the city, not the 'grid' part.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
As another voice dooming the proposal, if the OP doesn't live here and likely hasn't visited or driven, he likely doesn't understand the local penchant for driving under the speed limit. This occurs whether or not the lights are timed, the traffic is light, the road is clear, etc. It's not everybody but it is enough people to be noticeable. Thus, if you close off half the roads, you're more likely to encounter the slow pokes and the time it would take to cross the city would take even longer.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which streets in Portland would you want to close off to cars?
The proposal was just a general idea, so i really don't have any input on that, and judging by the comments it isn't getting much reception as it is. I just thought it would be interesting to have a grid that services "cars" interlocked with a grid that services "pedestrians/bikes/transit users". Portland seems to have a grid where this could be feasible (since the city has close blocks, and as someone mentioned previously, the current downtown streets are being underutilized).

Portland's block size (that services cars) would be similar to Barcelona:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: