Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 AM

497 posts, read 554,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I never said there isn't accidents in downtown Portland. But it isn't an issue, and very rare when it does happen.

Again, which streets would you even close off?
I realize you never said there aren’t accidents in downtown Portland, but I was trying to get ahead of the counter-argument that pedestrian safety isn’t an issue. You would have trouble trying to convince the two ladies that got struck by a cab in downtown Portland that pedestrian safety isn't an issue.

As I stated previously, I don’t have any input to which streets to close off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Congratulations. Not only are you redesigning a city which doesn't need your help, or input ... but now you're moderating this board.

What's next ... world domination?
You are suggesting my input isn’t needed just like I’m suggesting your negativity isn’t needed. We can both dominate the world together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. What a stretch. Yeah, if there were half as many streets to drive on, no one would run lights. Riiiiight.
Is it really a stretch to suggest that pedestrian safety would improve if half the downtown streets banned vehicle traffic? Reducing pedestrian/vehicle conflicts (by eliminating roughly half the signalized intersections downtown) would improve pedestrian safety. Of course drivers would still run red lights, but what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,458 times
The real pedestrian safety issue in Portland isn't in downtown. It's in the broad boulevards outside of downtown (particularly in SE and NE, based on the news) where there are a LOT of pedestrians, too few crosswalks, and bad lighting.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
I realize you never said there aren’t accidents in downtown Portland, but I was trying to get ahead of the counter-argument that pedestrian safety isn’t an issue. You would have trouble trying to convince the two ladies that got struck by a cab in downtown Portland that pedestrian safety isn't an issue.

As I stated previously, I don’t have any input to which streets to close off.

You are suggesting my input isn’t needed just like I’m suggesting your negativity isn’t needed. We can both dominate the world together!

Is it really a stretch to suggest that pedestrian safety would improve if half the downtown streets banned vehicle traffic? Reducing pedestrian/vehicle conflicts (by eliminating roughly half the signalized intersections downtown) would improve pedestrian safety. Of course drivers would still run red lights, but what's your point?
Because there is no streets downtown that you would want to close, people getting struck by cabs downtown is something that is very rare. People drive at a low speed downtown, and streets are very easy to navigate on foot.

You should go visit Portland someday so you have an idea what you are talking about and a better understanding why closing streets to vehicles downtown is a non-issue and not something that is needed. With the one way streets, the small blocks make it easy if you have to go around a block to get somewhere you are going, but having several streets closed would make driving downtown even harder to do when trying to get to any of the parking garages downtown to park or get to a bridge.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
You keep bringing up both irrelevant, and ridiculous reasons supporting your preposterous suggestion. You don't know the city of Portland. You have no idea of the challenges of traffic in it. You have no idea of what storekeepers are looking for. You don't know anything about it. And you're unwilling to listen to people who do.

How about we limit the number of people who can be in downtown. Or make all of downtown car free. How about we build elevated sidewalks in all of downtown. Those all will reduce pedestrian/auto accidents. But they're all ridiculous ideas. Just like yours is.

That's my point.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM

I know, i know Enrico. You think my proposal is a ridiculous idea. You mentioned that way back in post #7. Are you going to add anything useful to the conversation or just continue to be negative? From your previous comments in this thread, quote what you believe is the most useful comment you have made.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I know, i know Enrico. You think my proposal is a ridiculous idea. You mentioned that way back in post #7. Are you going to add anything useful to the conversation or just continue to be negative? From your previous comments in this thread, quote what you believe is the most useful comment you have made.
That is what we have all been wondering from you, so you found a YouTube video on a fictional idea that makes no sense outside of a computer generated model.

What would be the point of doing this if there is no need for it? You don't get heart surgery if your heart is functioning fine with no issues.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM

You make a lot of assumptions urbanlife78. If the mayor of Portland were to say "pedestrian safety in downtown Portland isn't an issue" he would be lambasted. You don't have to acknowledge the benefits of my proposal, but they do exist.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
What's the point of fussing over the traffic in a city that you don't live in and probably have never even visited?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
You make a lot of assumptions urbanlife78. If the mayor of Portland were to say "pedestrian safety in downtown Portland isn't an issue" he would be lambasted. You don't have to acknowledge the benefits of my proposal, but they do exist.
Actually I think the assumptions are being made on your part, you have said you don't live in Portland or haven't been there. Beyond this little video you posted, I question what you even know about Portland. If locals are saying driving and being a pedestrian in downtown Portland isn't an issue, then why do you think it is?

I am still waiting for you to make a realistic claim for this to even happen, which you not even knowing the streets of Portland leads me to believe you have no point to this.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I think the assumptions are being made on your part, you have said you don't live in Portland or haven't been there.
Now you are just wrong. Your assumptions are so strong that they are morphing into facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: