Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Yup! Every once in a while I go to Ikea while my kids are in school. FREEDOM! It's nobody's business why I am driving on the freeway by myself. I like having my SUV with me to take stuff home, yeah that's my home in inner NE Portland where I pay a crap load of property taxes. Sure I will drive by myself.
Sounds like one of my aunts; she says the only privacy she gets is when she drives to the store alone.

Personally, there are only a couple of people that I can stand taking along on a shopping trip.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Again, you are assuming I am talking absolutes. Not everyone can commute by biking. Clearly you cannot for whatever personal reasons you have. That is 1000% okay, but with that, you will probably have to sit in traffic with other people who cannot use alternative transportation for whatever personal reasons they have as well. That is just a reality.
Oh, wow! Is it "okay" with you? Thanks, I need your approval. I didn't drive for over a decade and when I drove in S.F. during the late 80's and early 90's I burned one tank of gas in two weeks. I do not need to justify my gas consumption, driving patterns, thoughts I have while I sit in traffic to you or anybody else. I really get annoyed by transplants who try to tell the rest of us in the Portland Metro how to live our lives. You must live in a city/area for a heck of a lot longer than ten years before you get to become an expert on the area. I have lived here almost five years and I discover something new weekly. I have also met many kind Native Portlanders and Oregonians who have welcomed me and my family into their lives/homes. Maybe that's because we are open to experiencing Oregon rather than trying to create some "utopia".

Last edited by Yankeemama; 09-12-2014 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sounds like one of my aunts; she says the only privacy she gets is when she drives to the store alone.

Personally, there are only a couple of people that I can stand taking along on a shopping trip.
Sometimes I feel like shopping alone in IKEA is like going to a spa. Sometimes I just sit in one of the "rooms" they create and drink my latte. Nobody bothers you and it's inspirational for me as I love to decorate. I also agree about the shopping... I like to shop alone so I go with my gut instinct.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 PM

You know, Urban, Yankee's got a point. You're coming across as if you've got to personally approve of people's driving decisions, and that's bs. You also seem to be suffering from an inflated sense of entitlement concerning bikes. Why on Earth should it be up to me to advocate for bike lanes in an area where the residents would be better served by a wiser use of our tax dollars? Why spend millions of dollars in an area suffering from poverty just because out-of-town bike riders have no manners or brains? What's wrong with simply expecting those "on bikes" to behave like adults or lose the privilege of using certain roads -- kind of like what happens if you don't drive right.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Oh, wow! Is it "okay" with you? Thanks, I need your approval. I didn't drive for over a decade and when I drove in S.F. during the late 80's and early 90's I burned one tank of gas in two weeks. I do not need to justify my gas consumption, driving patterns, thoughts I have while I sit in traffic to you or anybody else. I really get annoyed by transplants who try to tell the rest of us in the Portland Metro how to live our lives. You must live in a city/area for a heck of a lot longer than ten years before you get to become an expert on the area. I have lived here almost five years and I discover something new weekly. I have also met many kind Native Portlanders and Oregonians who have welcomed me and my family into their lives/homes. Maybe that's because we are open to experiencing Oregon rather than trying to create some "utopia".
You don't need my approval for anything, I don't know you, I was just commenting on your post like you were commenting on mine. I am sure you are really nice people. Also, I am not a transplant ant more than you are unless you were born here. Well I will let you know when I reach "expert" level for this city because this is gonna be my home for the rest of my life because Portland is my hometown.

I am not trying to create any "utopia," I am just enjoying my life and using my bike to commute like I have done for years. Is there is something wrong with someone who prefers to bike to commute rather than drive because you drive for your commutes? I get annoyed when people try to look down on me for commuting by bike because that is wrong for some reason.

Do whatever you need to do in life to commute, but don't judge me because I choose to bike instead of driving.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You know, Urban, Yankee's got a point. You're coming across as if you've got to personally approve of people's driving decisions, and that's bs. You also seem to be suffering from an inflated sense of entitlement concerning bikes. Why on Earth should it be up to me to advocate for bike lanes in an area where the residents would be better served by a wiser use of our tax dollars? Why spend millions of dollars in an area suffering from poverty just because out-of-town bike riders have no manners or brains? What's wrong with simply expecting those "on bikes" to behave like adults or lose the privilege of using certain roads -- kind of like what happens if you don't drive right.
False, I don't care how you choose to commute. No one needs my approval to commute, just like I don't need anyone's approval to bike where I need to get to. Why is it drivers seem to think they are entitled because they drive everywhere they need to go, and feel the need to look down on others who choose not to drive? I find that very odd.

Why should we spend millions of dollars to build new roads for out of town car drivers "who have no manners or brains" that think the roads should be traffic free for them? (See how one can turn an inaccurate personal attack around and make it about drivers. Neither does any good, and does not advance the thread other than get the thread closed. I suggest you not resort to that.)

Do you also think drivers should act like adults? I saw two dumb young men today flying down the road, weaving in and out of traffic in their cars acting reckless. Should you love the privilege to drive on the road because of their reckless behavior? Why should I lose any road privileges because of another reckless individual? That type of thinking makes no sense at all.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
You don't need my approval for anything, I don't know you, I was just commenting on your post like you were commenting on mine. I am sure you are really nice people. Also, I am not a transplant ant more than you are unless you were born here. Well I will let you know when I reach "expert" level for this city because this is gonna be my home for the rest of my life because Portland is my hometown.

I am not trying to create any "utopia," I am just enjoying my life and using my bike to commute like I have done for years. Is there is something wrong with someone who prefers to bike to commute rather than drive because you drive for your commutes? I get annoyed when people try to look down on me for commuting by bike because that is wrong for some reason.

Do whatever you need to do in life to commute, but don't judge me because I choose to bike instead of driving.
I can't believe I am responding when I should be relaxing with a good flick or re-run of Blue Bloods.
1) Uuh, I know I am a Transplant. I have no issue with being a transplant. I was pointing out that you are a transplant. Enough said on that.

2) oh, you know for a FACT that Portland is going to be your hometown forever. That is a confident or very naive statement. I guess only time will tell. Little word of caution, though...don't make too many predictions about your own life. You seem to have a long way to go...

3) I was not judging you for riding a bike. You were making judgements about the rest of us in cars, however. I love seeing you all on bikes while I sit in my SUV listening to good music, enjoying air conditioning and drinking my coffee drink. Life is good. I don't need your judgement or approval. I have earned my place on this world and someday you will know what that means. No, I mean someday you will really know what it feels like to utter those words.

Tom Selleck is waiting for me...

Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
False, I don't care how you choose to commute. No one needs my approval to commute, just like I don't need anyone's approval to bike where I need to get to. Why is it drivers seem to think they are entitled because they drive everywhere they need to go, and feel the need to look down on others who choose not to drive? I find that very odd.

Why should we spend millions of dollars to build new roads for out of town car drivers "who have no manners or brains" that think the roads should be traffic free for them? (See how one can turn an inaccurate personal attack around and make it about drivers. Neither does any good, and does not advance the thread other than get the thread closed. I suggest you not resort to that.)

Do you also think drivers should act like adults? I saw two dumb young men today flying down the road, weaving in and out of traffic in their cars acting reckless. Should you love the privilege to drive on the road because of their reckless behavior? Why should I lose any road privileges because of another reckless individual? That type of thinking makes no sense at all.
Sigh. Just because you saw a couple of reckless automobile drivers today has nothing to do with why a curved country road near a popular mountain biking trail has become dangerous due to an influx of out-of-town bike riders with no brains or manners.

The difference between the drivers who you saw today and those "on bikes" on the road I'm talking about is that the drivers will probably lose their road privileges soon enough, while those "on bikes" continue to create problems in that particular area.

I'm not sure that we're building many new roads these days, so your analogy doesn't fly. Anyway, the last time I checked, those "on bikes" weren't required to be licensed or to carry insurance. Perhaps if they were to be licensed, there would be more government money available to accommodate them.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make it a personal attack. It's my observation that those "on bikes" who visit that area and use that road have no manners or brains. Why are you taking that personally?

By the way, although I'd be cool with a complete ban on bikes on this particular road and think that it would serve the residents of that community well, my main objection is that a signification number of those "on bikes" who visit that area don't observe the rules of the road, and they put everyone at risk by their behavior. You seem to be missing this.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-12-2014 at 11:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 PM

By the way, the people who organize and run bike races on the trail in question agree with me about the road. They feel that it wasn't made for bikes and encourage participants in their events to stay off that road for their own safety. Again, it necessary for them to ride on it to access the trail. They have an entire parking lot at their disposal.

They're being realistic -- instead of taking some entitled stance that "it's their road too and by god they have a right to use it," they're taking into consideration the fact that an old logging road isn't a city bike path and that there's no government funding available for bike paths. They're dealing with what they have to work with instead of asking someone like me why I'm not advocating and organizing for bike path funding.

There are a lot of roads in this country that aren't suitable for bike traffic. It sounds like you expect other people to fix it for you, so good luck with that. When those of you "on bikes" stop yelping every time someone so much as whispers about how perhaps you should start actually helping to pay for the roads you feel entitled to use, some of us might take you seriously.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-12-2014 at 11:48 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I can't believe I am responding when I should be relaxing with a good flick or re-run of Blue Bloods.
1) Uuh, I know I am a Transplant. I have no issue with being a transplant. I was pointing out that you are a transplant. Enough said on that.

2) oh, you know for a FACT that Portland is going to be your hometown forever. That is a confident or very naive statement. I guess only time will tell. Little word of caution, though...don't make too many predictions about your own life. You seem to have a long way to go...

3) I was not judging you for riding a bike. You were making judgements about the rest of us in cars, however. I love seeing you all on bikes while I sit in my SUV listening to good music, enjoying air conditioning and drinking my coffee drink. Life is good. I don't need your judgement or approval. I have earned my place on this world and someday you will know what that means. No, I mean someday you will really know what it feels like to utter those words.

Tom Selleck is waiting for me...
So we are both transplants....not sure the point of you bringing that up was to accomplish....

The plan on never moving from Portland is a safe bet, I moved away once and my wife and I realized that was a mistake and now that we are back, we are here to stay. Besides all our family and friends are here and I have no interest in moving away from family. So I am gonna say it is a very confident statement to make.

Actually I wasn't making any judgments on anyone who drives a car. All I am saying is when I bike, I am not stuck in traffic. That isn't a lie, that isn't a judgment on anyone who does drive, that is just me stating a true fact. Commuting by bike, I am not in traffic.

Oh and I don't know what you think I have earned or haven't earned, but I have earned my place on this world. Again, not sure what that has to do with this topic. When I am riding my bike, staying healthy and fit and being able to relax myself and just focus on biking, life is good for me as well. So I guess I already know what those words mean. Not sure why you would think my life wouldn't be good on a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland