Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This makes no sense. What I would "rather" people be doing during rush hour isn't the point. As has been pointed out to you, bikes and buses generally aren't feasible alternatives for parents and others who have to juggle responsibilities. It isn't that I would "rather" that people do anything but that I understand why bikes and buses aren't reasonable alternatives for a substantial number of people.
This thread is about gridlock traffic which means it is talking about rush hour traffic. Sorry that a car is your only option. Bikes and buses are an option for me so I help reduce traffic by biking and taking transit.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:02 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So I will know someday that I to am can only be happy and enjoy life when I am also sitting in a car listening to music and drinking coffee....again, not sure why one needs to drive a vehicle to be happy, but if that makes you happy, good for you. For me, nothing makes me happier than being able to bike for my commute, not sure why that is wrong for me to enjoy being able to bike for my commute. Do you think people on their bikes are somehow miserable because they aren't driving to where they need to go?

The title of this thread is about gridlock. The gridlock that the title is talking about is the type that is created by cars. Me not commuting via car means I am not adding to that gridlock that people are experiences. The added bonus to that is that I get to enjoy a traffic free commute. So not only am I helping by not putting another car on the road during rush hours, but I also get the bonus of having an enjoyable commute via bike because it does work for my situation and I don't need to drive for my commute.
Have a great day!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
This is it right here. Plenty of people who have participated in this discussion have legit reasons for driving, yet you slyly infer in a backhanded way that those reasons are "excuses."

Riding a bike in urban traffic isn't all that healthy, either. Those exhaust fumes you're breathing are pretty bad for you. What you're doing might be beneficial for short term muscle tone and helping to maintain a proportional body weight, but you're probably killing your lungs with all that black carbon you're sucking up. Don't kid yourself that your chosen commute is inherently healthy. It isn't.

If you're riding your bike during rush hour in Portland or any other city with substantial traffic, you're putting your respiratory health at risk. You'd be better off walking to mass transit than biking; you don't breathe as deeply when walking.

If this doesn't "make sense" to you, I suggest that you consult your health care professional.
I wasn't talking about anyone else with that comment because I have no idea why everyone drives, I am sure each and every person stuck in traffic has to use there car as the only option. I can only speak for myself.

I could give a million reasons why I should be driving, but instead I choose to bike. Also much of my commute is on a bike path away from traffic so I am breathing in fresh air, which the whole breathing in fumes while biking is a myth unless you are literally tailgating someone while riding a bike.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Have a great day!
I will, as soon as everyone gets up I am off to breakfast with my family and enjoying a beautiful day in Portland.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
This is it right here. Plenty of people who have participated in this discussion have legit reasons for driving, yet you slyly infer in a backhanded way that those reasons are "excuses."

Riding a bike in urban traffic isn't all that healthy, either. Those exhaust fumes you're breathing are pretty bad for you. What you're doing might be beneficial for short term muscle tone and helping to maintain a proportional body weight, but you're probably killing your lungs with all that black carbon you're sucking up. Don't kid yourself that your chosen commute is inherently healthy. It isn't.

If you're riding your bike during rush hour in Portland or any other city with substantial traffic, you're putting your respiratory health at risk. You'd be better off walking to mass transit than biking; you don't breathe as deeply when walking.

If this doesn't "make sense" to you, I suggest that you consult your health care professional.
YES! Perfectly stated. Thank you.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colganc View Post
Cars are necessities for economic growth of a city of Portland's composition. Not all cities can have commerce and industry that allows for bikes. Specialization does occur. Grid lock is usually a symptom of economic growth. As long as congestion is not so bad that it restricts economic growth in major ways it is not am issue. Guess what, it is getting bad enough to cause issues. More roads are needed.

We live in a system of resource limits. Allocating more resources like dedicated bike lanes, buses, light rail, even bike oriented transit will decrease resources available for roads. People only accept so much taxation and at points taxation will also limit economic growth. If we do not allocate transportation money appropriately the city will stop growing. Its already hurting job growth and opportunity.
The solution for traffic isn't always more roads. If that is the case the Portland metro would be filled with interstates carving up everything that people love in Portland that makes the city a very bikeable city.

Do not assume that this means I think there should be no cars in Portland and everyone should be on bikes. That is not what I am talking about.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
YES! Perfectly stated. Thank you.
You're welcome

Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Oh, I would caution anyone against taking this guy's word for it that there aren't significant health hazards involved in bike commutes. Those who are actually qualified to have an opinion on this say something quite different.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This thread is about gridlock traffic which means it is talking about rush hour traffic. Sorry that a car is your only option. Bikes and buses are an option for me so I help reduce traffic by biking and taking transit.
I think that perhaps you need a reading comprehension course. As I've already told you, I commute by foot.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, I would caution anyone against taking this guy's word for it that there aren't significant health hazards involved in bike commutes. Those who are actually qualified to have an opinion on this say something quite different.

Statistics Library - Health Statistics Archives | PeopleForBikes

There is a lot of research on this topic if you care to learn more about it. So you don't have to take my word for it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland