Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 897,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Looks like roughly 50 more cops just bailed. These fools that are destroying property will get what they deserve and they aren't gonna like it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/18/us/po...eam/index.html
They left a specific team, they're still employed by PPB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 07:32 PM

435 posts, read 456,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't blame the Portland police for resigning at all I'm surprised it took this long. Actually I'm surprised anyone would want that job period especially in Portland.
They didn't resign from the actual police force, there's just no cops on the Rapid Response team anymore, which is the one that dealt with riots. They'll do other things on the force (especially because there are a lot of complete resignations from the force and they're short staffed) but that specific team is now non-functioning and will likely be shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltCueOur View Post
Not enough cops are leaving to cause a tipping point into Mogadishu-status. It just means Portland will become like East St. Louis.
Nope. Portland doesn't have the demographics that would cause that. East St. Louis does.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:28 PM

146 posts, read 156,042 times
I believe latest data out today showed 533% increase in Portland homicides year over year. Surprisingly, I have not seen one rally or outpouring of support for any of those instances that didn’t have a police officer involved. It’s almost as if certain people only care about instances that fit their narrative and ignore any and all evidence to the contrary. I mean after all, less than 1% of that 533% increase involved police so surely we should be focusing on that, right? Who cares about who killed who the other 99.9% of the time…details…

Old 06-23-2021, 09:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,659,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't blame the Portland police for resigning at all I'm surprised it took this long. Actually I'm surprised anyone would want that job period especially in Portland.
My best friend is a police officer in Eugene, but applied to Portland first about 5 years ago now. I’m so glad he didn’t get the job and ended up in a quieter city at least. He loves his job, but it has challenges in this climate. He mostly lays low at this point. As much as police get blamed for targeting black people, many police (like him) would rather just not pull over or question any black people unless it’s absolutely necessary. It’s just not worth the heat at this point, so you end up policing differently than maybe the law would dictate. On a ride along with him, I saw a black guy peeing all over the side of a building. My friend just said “meh, not worth it.” And we kept driving. I don’t blame him at all, that’s exactly what I would do.

I believe that most people in Portland just want to live their lives, they want to have safety and a good city, and I hope and believe eventually they’ll get things under control. What I saw of downtown made me sad - I always thought Portland had one of the best downtowns and I don’t even like Portland! But it was always fun to walk, great breweries, you could walk from 23rd to the waterfront in the summer and enjoy tons of great restaurants and breweries and little shops. I went last month and it was like Baghdad, so no, “Fox News” didn’t exaggerate anything. It was WAY worse than I believed it was, and my wife had been and sent me pictures, it was still worse than that. Every. Single. Block. Was loaded with tents, homeless people, boarded up windows, definitely didn’t seem safe but more than that it’s not normal. I think people in Portland have been so trapped in this bubble they just believe everywhere is like that. It isn’t. We don’t have ANY of that in Henderson at all, and the Las Vegas Strip doesn’t have tolerance for that either. Homeless people exist but they’re not going to be allowed to pitch tents on every corner in most American cities. I was shocked by what I saw, hopeful never to return to downtown again if I’m lucky. I didn’t want to go anyway but we have two large investments in downtown Portland and I wanted to check one out. I have to hope more than anyone that things improve because I don’t really know what kind of person would ever want to fly to Portland and visit “for fun” with what I saw. They’d be better off staying home.

So let’s hope the city turns a corner, figures out some solutions, and becomes that great downtown again so many of us enjoyed.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:25 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,574,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My best friend is a police officer in Eugene, but applied to Portland first about 5 years ago now. I’m so glad he didn’t get the job and ended up in a quieter city at least. He loves his job, but it has challenges in this climate. He mostly lays low at this point. As much as police get blamed for targeting black people, many police (like him) would rather just not pull over or question any black people unless it’s absolutely necessary. It’s just not worth the heat at this point, so you end up policing differently than maybe the law would dictate. On a ride along with him, I saw a black guy peeing all over the side of a building. My friend just said “meh, not worth it.” And we kept driving. I don’t blame him at all, that’s exactly what I would do.

I believe that most people in Portland just want to live their lives, they want to have safety and a good city, and I hope and believe eventually they’ll get things under control. What I saw of downtown made me sad - I always thought Portland had one of the best downtowns and I don’t even like Portland! But it was always fun to walk, great breweries, you could walk from 23rd to the waterfront in the summer and enjoy tons of great restaurants and breweries and little shops. I went last month and it was like Baghdad, so no, “Fox News” didn’t exaggerate anything. It was WAY worse than I believed it was, and my wife had been and sent me pictures, it was still worse than that. Every. Single. Block. Was loaded with tents, homeless people, boarded up windows, definitely didn’t seem safe but more than that it’s not normal. I think people in Portland have been so trapped in this bubble they just believe everywhere is like that. It isn’t. We don’t have ANY of that in Henderson at all, and the Las Vegas Strip doesn’t have tolerance for that either. Homeless people exist but they’re not going to be allowed to pitch tents on every corner in most American cities. I was shocked by what I saw, hopeful never to return to downtown again if I’m lucky. I didn’t want to go anyway but we have two large investments in downtown Portland and I wanted to check one out. I have to hope more than anyone that things improve because I don’t really know what kind of person would ever want to fly to Portland and visit “for fun” with what I saw. They’d be better off staying home.

So let’s hope the city turns a corner, figures out some solutions, and becomes that great downtown again so many of us enjoyed.
I agree its just as well your friend did not get hired in Portland and took the job in Eugene. I can only imagine he has to lay low at times. I think if most people were honest with themselves they know the cops are being put in a terrible position, with people that want to cause problems. We all know this goes on but its not politically correct to come out and say it. Believe me I have bit my tongue a number of times on this subject. Your friend is aware of this and sadly has to look the other way at times. I hope your friend will be safe working his Police job in Eugene.

When I left Portland in 2012 what goes on there now was going on then, just not the level of violence by no means. I remember before I left not being able to go in B of A, because all the windows were broken in downtown businesses. Or being delayed on the Max because my train could not get downtown because of demonstrations. Or all those riot police decked out in their combat gear trying to keep order over what I don't remember. All the homeless were all over Portland then to. I'm told now the homeless are all over neighborhoods now not just downtown. Laurelhurst for one. I remember that park downtown had all those tents in it for a year or so for that Political thing. That nice park was destroyed by them. So this is not new its just way way worse now. Only a fool would think a city any city, could go on operating like Portland has been doing and survive. Life doesn't work that way. I would love to see Portland turn that corner, and become that city we once enjoyed,

I'm visiting the area the end of August but over in Vancouver. I normally would be over in Portland during the visit but I don't know this time. See what happens. It just really bothers me when I see what that once beautiful city was allowed to turn into.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 897,078 times
Quote:

I might be inclined to want to keep it how it is if it mean you won't be back visiting.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:26 AM

157 posts, read 90,007 times
Quote:

So much for equality.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:25 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,659,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
I might be inclined to want to keep it how it is if it mean you won't be back visiting.
Hahaha well now, tell me how you really feel! Don’t worry, I don’t visit often, as little as possible.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:57 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,909,100 times
Mass shooting in downtown Portland early this morning: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/us/po...red/index.html

"One woman has died and six other people were wounded after a shooting in downtown Portland, Oregon, early Saturday, according to the Portland Police Bureau.

The shooting victims were taken by ambulance to a hospital, where the woman was treated for what police had described as serious wounds.

The woman, who was not identified, died at a hospital, police said in a statement later Saturday...."

Portland aspires to be the new Chicago.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:46 AM

9,543 posts, read 16,574,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Mass shooting in downtown Portland early this morning: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/us/po...red/index.html

"One woman has died and six other people were wounded after a shooting in downtown Portland, Oregon, early Saturday, according to the Portland Police Bureau.

The shooting victims were taken by ambulance to a hospital, where the woman was treated for what police had described as serious wounds.

The woman, who was not identified, died at a hospital, police said in a statement later Saturday...."

Portland aspires to be the new Chicago.
I just heard about that shooting. It was by the Food Carts around 2am. Sadly the woman was killed, thankfully there wasn't more deaths. Some serious reinvention of Portland had better take place, or Portland isn't going to survive. It's problems are so serious and out of control, how does the city expect to continue on its path of destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland