Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 06:48 PM

148 posts, read 178,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I don't either. I have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody in that video had ANY accent.
The girl in that video sounds ridiculous, its called "vocal fry" and people actually go to speech therapy for it.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:05 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
The girl in that video sounds ridiculous, its called "vocal fry" and people actually go to speech therapy for it.
They both sound pretty average. They could be from Vancouver, BC and no one would notice.

She doesn't sound like she would need to go to speech therapy for whatever level of "vocal fry" you claim she has...

Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 PM

148 posts, read 178,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
They both sound pretty average. They could be from Vancouver, BC and no one would notice.

She doesn't sound like she would need to go to speech therapy for whatever level of "vocal fry" you claim she has...
Friend of mine that works in radio was asked to take it for sounding like that, a short college class on proper pronunciation

Old 10-13-2015, 01:24 AM

34 posts, read 38,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right.

In that video, I expected to hear words like Hella, and also probably expected to hear something more like a southern California accent.

I suppose that they have a "Cascadian" or "Jeffersonian" accent.

I am still wondering why they were called "Goobers" though.
They just seemed like a nice young couple out having fun to me.
What exactly is the difference in Northern California accent vs Southern California? I mean maybe some of the lingo like Dude and Hella but the "accent" seems to be the same.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:56 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisstata View Post
What exactly is the difference in Northern California accent vs Southern California? I mean maybe some of the lingo like Dude and Hella but the "accent" seems to be the same.
As a person from SF, CA, and after living in different parts of the country, I would say West coasters, in general have a flatter tone when we speak. We say words with correct pronunciation but with a lot less emphasis on certain sounds so when we go to the East coast, for example, we sound pretty boring and not as excited when we speak. It's obvious to locals that a Californian is from somewhere else. The SoCal up talk way of speaking is now popular all over the country in certain demographics.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,896 times
a lot of people say california is the nicest state, i was amazed how much nicer it is then oregon. thats why people want to move there. way too hot for me

Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM

97 posts, read 124,012 times
I have no dislike for Californians that move up to the Portland metro. I've befriended some of the nicest people that have relocated here in the last few years. The majority of them are appreciative of being here making a new start, highly educated and respectful neighbors.

People move from state to state in the 1000's everyday. I see no reason to blame those from California for ones own misery and life dissatisfaction.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
This thread needs to die. 40 PAGES of the same thing, over and over, since it started in 2008. Some one-post wonder finds it via search, posts a (pretty much fact-free) rant and it's off again. In 40 pages every possible permutation has been discussed, often multiple times. Let's just have it closed and be done with it.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 PM

119 posts, read 156,249 times
Long time Oregonians are jealous of Californians. Californians have it all. Great weather, great jobs, unlimited dining and entertainment options, beautiful successful people. Stuff it Oregon. If you don't like Californians, don't buy anything that comes from there. That means no Google, no Apple, no Ebay, no Tesla, no movies or tv shows, no Napa Valley wine, no Pliny the Elder, no fresh fruits and vegetables. Just wallow in your own misery.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98IndyPacecarguy View Post
I have no dislike for Californians that move up to the Portland metro. I've befriended some of the nicest people that have relocated here in the last few years. The majority of them are appreciative of being here making a new start, highly educated and respectful neighbors.

People move from state to state in the 1000's everyday. I see no reason to blame those from California for ones own misery and life dissatisfaction.
Thank you for writing this.🤗😎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland