Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times

Advertisements

I spent three days staying at the Downtown Portland Hilton during a recent trip to your fair city. What an experience. I have two observations:

There is a very high percentage of white people in Portland for a large metro area.

There is an incredible number of street kids with crazy tattoos, strange haircuts, and freaky looking clothes. I have no other words for them other than street kids. There was tons of them hanging out and looking for money. A few approached me and asked for money. I asked them why they don't get a job. They said they are not into working. Whatever!

Are there other downtown's that have such a high percentage of street kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,824,663 times
I hate being begged for money by lazy street kids who are pretty much my age. It's like... Get a f*cking job and EARN your money like me instead of being a leach on society. OR go back to your family and ask THEM to feed you, because I KNOW you have a family...

Sorry for the rant. There are a lot of street kids in Portland, that's for sure. And Portland is the whitest major American city.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

Sorry for the rant. There are a lot of street kids in Portland, that's for sure. And Portland is the whitest major American city.
Portland has a large Mexican population. However the Mexicans (and their kids) seem to have a hard work ethic. The white kids might be a little spoiled because they've never seen tough times.

Just a theory.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
I do see the "street kids" thing, I've seen a great number of young and highly tattooed/pierced people wandering around...most just into the alternative, no office work, life style. Not really anything wrong with it, they do what they want to do. Though they may realize later they aren't as economically mobile after making themselves "fringe looking" so they don't fit in, it will take a few years for insight into this to set in.

There are also people that I see like today coming home...two kids, probably just out of high school or early college (heavily inked and pierced) yacking it up about drinking themselves stupid and getting tore up on drugs tonight, and what happened to them while being blitzed in the last (I think) week. They get off the bus and promptly turn around to start begging all the people around, who just got off the bus after listening to them for the last 15 minutes, to give them money because "We are hungry and need food, we were abused and ran away from home....we swear we are doing our best".

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-23-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
The definition for "street kids" changes with each person, dealing with the levels of alternative lifestyle's, reason they decide to live on the streets, substance abuse, and behavior. I'm not sure I consider all on homeless in my view, just urban oriented and not traditionally career bound. There's a wide range of people that fit in there but the subgroup is easily recognized with heavy body modification. Not really any difference on average of the type of people compared to the general population.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,824,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
The definition for "street kids" changes with each person, dealing with the levels of alternative lifestyle's, reason they decide to live on the streets, substance abuse, and behavior. I'm not sure I consider all on homeless in my view, just urban oriented and not traditionally career bound. There's a wide range of people that fit in there but the subgroup is easily recognized with heavy body modification. Not really any difference on average of the type of people compared to the general population.
I would agree with this.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,213,340 times
I have to be honest, I've been dying to visit PDX for a while, and this unfortunately turns me off big time.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM

920 posts, read 2,814,540 times
The spoiled little trust-fund hippies and hipster douchebags are like locusts around downtown Portland, and I think they're an embarrassment to what's otherwise a beautiful downtown. Sorry you had to encounter them, but I hope you ran into enough nicer folks to make your trip good.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Those who are truly in need of help keep a pretty low profile. They may ask for food or money but are not in your face. Those who do their best to stand out with outlandish clothing and hairstyles are playing games. I always figure if they afford all that jewelry and leather and tats they couldn't be all that poor.
I play a little game with them. I am a frumpy middled aged overweight lady. These street wannabes look at me all smirky like they are scaring me. If ignoring them doesn't work, and they really crave attention, I will answer their comments and sneers by a very pleasant "Good morning."
If I am in a mood and they bug me, I will tell them to "f-off." The totally surprised looks on their faces make my day.
Unfortunately if you work downtown and have to walk to your job everyday you are going to encounter this, so you may as well learn how to deal with it. That goes for the druggies that get in your face too. Only once was I actually intimidated by one who demanded money. He was much more threatening than most and his eyes were really scary. Fortunately a cop was nearby and got a hold of him.
I have had many "colorful" experiences with street people; some bad some not. But they are a fact of life and here to stay.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:33 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If I am in a mood and they bug me, I will tell them to "f-off."
Thats awesome. Maybe we are not so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland