Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 AM

239 posts, read 895,433 times

Advertisements

I have never been anywhere in the United States with so many street kids who asked for money. These Portland Oregon street kids were not the typically mentally ill folks who are begging in a typical town. These were "20 something kids/young adults" who appeared to a a 2010 version of a 1960s era hippie. I would suspect that they came from middle class families and have the mental and physical ability to work in a paying job or attend college, but instead they just hang out all day and compare tattoos.

Has anyone else noticed all the white street kids who look grungy haning all over Downtown Portland? What is their story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,136 times
Typical West coast city demographic. San Francisco, Seattle and Portland.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,745 times
Yes. That is part of Downtown Portland. (and other parts as well.)

A couple of threads on this, here is one, albeit, a very long thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-unlawful.html

Also, in State of Oregon, it isn't illegal for older teens to run a way. Cops won't do anything about it:
//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...teen-laws.html
Some youths come thinking Oregon is a run a way haven. Without money, it ain't.

Just so you know, the homeless and panhandles population is way down from last year. IMHO, down maybe 20 to 25% from last years high. Or I am more immune to panhandlers all over the city, and I stopped noticing them.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM

7 posts, read 13,188 times
Then fall of the Roman Empire probably had some grungy youth hanging out also, comparing theories on middle class wage slaves. Pandemic panhandlers philander the philanthropic pdx pedantic pedestrian phobia! Who cares, when they turn forty and realize their the next in line to feel disenfranchised and forgotten, marginalized and experiencing ageism. Their arrogance and disdain will be replaced by befuddled yearning for the good old days. To all you young hipsters hanging out looking hip and playing the chippie hippie, **** off tossers!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 PM

172 posts, read 537,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

Has anyone else noticed all the white street kids who look grungy haning all over Downtown Portland? What is their story?
Nope...this is the very first time I have ever heard of such a thing and I certainly have never witnessed anything like this first hand.........

Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,709 times
Ok, this subject has been done to death...

But, my real comment is: Am I the only one who finds the term "white street kids" to be a tad offensive? What color were you hoping for?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
I just pick my way carefully through and try not to trip over them. Some are dressed in more expensive looking clothes than me. One of these days I think I will ask them for money.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just pick my way carefully through and try not to trip over them. Some are dressed in more expensive looking clothes than me. One of these days I think I will ask them for money.
Not a bad idea, Minerva.
Someone compared today' street kids to the hippies of my generation & I can sure see the parallel. Fortunately most of us moved on to school, jobs, responsibilities... and are now getting close to drawing our first SS checks. I think today's kids will get tired of their lifestyle, too.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:51 AM

239 posts, read 895,433 times
My husband and I asked them why they don't get a job so they have money and quite a few told us that they don't believe in working for corporate America and playing the mans game. I told them that without people working nothing would get done in our society. They rejected my idea out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
Not a bad idea, Minerva.
Someone compared today' street kids to the hippies of my generation & I can sure see the parallel. Fortunately most of us moved on to school, jobs, responsibilities... and are now getting close to drawing our first SS checks. I think today's kids will get tired of their lifestyle, too.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
... they don't believe in working for corporate America and playing the mans game ....
Yeah, but it's okay to take the money of the "dumb" people who "play the man's game", huh? You should have told them: "sorry, I'd give you a few bucks, but all I have is dirty money from Corporate America ... and I'm sure you don't want that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland