Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
They've been saying that for decades but the legal system moves at a snail's pace when it comes to adopting new technology.

Freelance court reporting is a wonderful career once you become proficient and establish a reputation.

Pay is good and you can pick and choose your jobs up to a point. A large portion of the work can be done at home. The cases are all different.

The legal system is pretty immune to economic downturns and you job isn't likely to go to China or India.

Perfect Response!! and dead on!! Court reporters work everywhere! Thousands of depositons are held every day and each one requires a court reporter.

Court reporters are not paid by the courts freqently! They are paid by the attorneys that want the transcripts. Some court reporters are self-employed and others work for a headhoncho court reporter.

They are definitely not going away. Someone has to transcribe all of that dialogue, if the tape player breaks down.

good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM

53 posts, read 144,805 times
Thank you for all of the information! I'm really excited to look more into COLA and to start school when I have it all decided.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,806 times
COLA is a joke. I went there. I eventually transferred online to Green River Community College outside Seattle, Washington. The program is 100+ better than the bull**** they tried to pass off as education at COLA (aka Sumner now.)

Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaykers View Post
COLA is a joke. I went there. I eventually transferred online to Green River Community College outside Seattle, Washington. The program is 100+ better than the bull**** they tried to pass off as education at COLA (aka Sumner now.)
It looks like they are still as bad as when I went there. I had heard that they improved but from what you are saying, not so much.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,564 times
Court reporting will always be needed because it provides the accuracy and clarity that voice recorders and programs such as dragon can not provide. Transcripts must be 97.5% accurate, the court will not settle for an alternative that will not provide such accuracy and clarity. This profession can not be outsourced because there are very few people who are willing to master the stenograph machine. It is not an entry level job that can be learned with the on the job training. A stenographer for a court must be licensed in their state to work in court, something very few people are willing to do.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
wow. "court reporting is a dead profession" you are obviously misinformed. its now 2012 and my mother is a court reporting making over 100K a year. do your research buddy.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,268 times
I'm a court reporting student and I'm going to be graduating and moving to Portland within the next couple of months. Will I be able to find freelance work in Portland or do I need to look elsewhere for work?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Court Reporting is a dead profession, most courts have installed recording systems nearly a decade ago.
Small town courts are installing speech recognition software that does the first transcript. Then a court employee listens to a tape and corrects any unclear parts in the transcript, if one is requested. Most civil cases never have a transcript. Criminal cases will make a transcript if it's a big crime, but misdemeanor trials rarely have one.

Court reporting is a job without a future.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
hongkongcourtreports[/b];30728732]hello

court reporting might be considered as a profession going down nowadays but there is definitely a good scope if you have good knowledge and experience, you can gradually always work as a freelancer and I would say that this is a good option if you have interest in this.

best of luck..!!
Biography shows a business not a person. Advertising?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM

254 posts, read 442,568 times
Regardless of what the courts install, it's extremely unlikely depositions will be handled via anything except a live CSR anytime in the foreseeable future. The court system is massive and slow-changing. Even the most advance voice recognition software doesn't do as good a job as a live reporter. In many cases, in courts with voice recorders you just end up with a CD that needs to be transcribed anyhow, or the court directs you to a reporter to have it officially transcribed (I deal with courts in CA, WA, NV, ID, UT, TX, NJ, and elsewhere, as well as many District and Appellate courts). Being a CSR is a great job with a good level of independence. My CSR friends make easily over $100K per year with no signs of slowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland