Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times

Advertisements

My first pregnancy I got my daughters name from CSI:Miami, I named her Calleigh.

This pregnancy my fiance and I can not come up with names we both like for a girl so hopefully its a boy.

How did you come up with your childrens names?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
From when I was little I wanted to name one of my daughters Audery Jane after my Grandmother Audery Leona, my mom Elsie Jane, and me Karen Jane.

My other daughter I named after my other grandmother except her father is French and he wanted to name her something French so we compromised. My grandmother's name was Julia Anne so we named her Julianne. But of course, we call her Julie Ann cause we are from Oklahoma and everyone is Bobby Sue or Jane Ann or Linda Lou. And her Daddy ain't here to correct me either.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
We looked for classic names that we felt would hold them in good stead their whole life - were not either too "old" sounding or to "young" sounding. Something they could grow with and still sound appropriate. Then we eliminated names of first cousins, names that didn't sound good with our last name. Then we looked at what was left that we both liked and went from there. I still like both their names and have never second guessed them.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
For our list of girls' names we looked at the Social Security popular names from about 1950 and before. We figured out which ones were also Catholic saints and we liked. If the name has a resurgence, we'll just go to the next name on the list. Boys' names were done by us just finding saints with names that are not common. We'll still go to the next name if the name we want to use has become popular. Our boys are going to have two middle names which are my mom's maiden name and my dad's last name. How the name goes with our last name doesn't matter to us. Our last name is very Filipino, and we don't like any Filipino names.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
I was so sure I was having a girl that I never really thought of a boy's name.
My son was over 24 hours old before he got a name.
I was holding him (while in my hospital bed) and talking to him and singing along with the music on the radio. I looked down at his chubby face and asked, "What is your name, baby boy?" I looked up, and in the air, about three feet off the floor, was his name - in foot high cloud-like letters.
This really happened, I was not dreaming. His name is Matthew Joseph.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Years before a child was ever a consideration in my life, I picked up my niece from school. A cute little boy walked by her and told her to have a good weekend. My niece whom is very anti-social didnt say a word back. I asked her what the boy's name was, she told me and I really liked it. It is a common last name and the name of a character in a TV series. This classmate of my niece just had an air of kindness and politeness about him. He made the name seem even more attractive.

Years later when I found out I was pregnant I somehow knew it was going to be a boy. The first name I thought of was the name of that kind little boy that attended school with my niece. I asked my husband what he thought of the name and he really liked it. We told others and everyone liked it right away as well. It was weeks before we could find out the sex of the baby but I didnt think too much about girl names because something just told me it was going to be a boy. When my son was born the name was still somewhat unique and not overly popular. But now it is.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 AM

45 posts, read 93,188 times
One of my favourite childhood tales, was that of "Tír na nÓg" The Land Of Youth.

One of the main chatacters in the old Irish legend is called Niamh of the golden hair, I adored the name Niamh ( pronounced KneeEve ) but also liked the name Morwenna, an old Cornish name.

So I decided, after having a daughter, that I had to call her Niamh-Morwenna.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
My first pregnancy I got my daughters name from CSI:Miami, I named her Calleigh.

This pregnancy my fiance and I can not come up with names we both like for a girl so hopefully its a boy.

How did you come up with your childrens names?

I love to read..so my kids are named after characters in books..
My youngest daughter is named after the singer Jewel..Her music made a big impact on my life when I was pregnant with my youngest.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
The day I found out I was pregnant, we called my MIL to let her know. She didn't tell us that that same day she'd found her colon cancer had spread to her lung.

She died five weeks before my daughter was born. Since I wanted a name that wasn't too common but not too weird, I named my daughter for her. It's an old-fashioned name not of the ugly-old-lady-name variety. Just isn't commonly used. She was on the only one in her school with the name from K through 12 in a sea of Jessicas and Caitlyns and Ashleys, the popular names of the time. She met another girl her age with the same name only once, although we've heard of others.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,229 times
I'm trying to come up with one now! It's so hard...all 3 of mine have relatively traditional names...Catherine, Charlotte, and Colin. I don't anticipate keeping the C theme going.

All the names I hear nowadays sound made up....I can't tell you either how many Madison, Mackenzies, Kaylees, Haylees, Rileys, and Avas there are around here...I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings by naming off those names...they're just exceedingly popular around these parts. Most of the boys names are Bryson, Grayson, Brogan, Logan, Aiden, Briley...so traditional names are not popular around here.

My husband and I are having a very hard time with names for our 4th and final. I suppose we'll have a name book at the hospital and hope for some inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy