Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,681,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You've had a step son since he was 3 weeks old. That's interesting, and quite insightful, to say the least.

yup he was my best friend had a "one night stand" and the girl got pregnant when She was about 6 months we took our friendship to the next level after she had the baby decided she didnt want to be a mom anymore and so we got him. And I love him like my own.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't even have a tube on the side I had an ovary and I still managed to get pregnant after my PCOS was treated. Furthermore, for the OP, treating PCOS could be helpful for the thread topic, "how to accept she can't have children," since hormonal problems with PCOS contribute greatly to a higher incidence of depression. Seems like a no-brainer all around to have the PCOS treated and not just the fertility issue, especially since treating PCOS can lead to fertility too.

Ok your child was for sure a miracle from God and was very determined to be here, that does not mean everyone in that situation will be that lucky

Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,162,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post

The cause of infertility in this case is anatomical (damaged tube on side with ovary) + PCOS. Treating the PCOS is good for reducing other comorbidities (like insulin resistance) but without IVF it would still be a challenge to get pregnant.

People seem to missing the posts wher ei have stated this is my case. Treating PCOS will not result in me becoming fertile. The damage has been done.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Ok your child was for sure a miracle from God and was very determined to be here, that does not mean everyone in that situation will be that lucky

Exactly, not every is so lucky.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
People seem to missing the posts wher ei have stated this is my case. Treating PCOS will not result in me becoming fertile. The damage has been done.

I just feel you should have this thread closed because no one seems to be trying to help you they are just attacking you. Trust me Ive went through this many many times here on city-data, I guess some people just like to make others feel bad.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,321,611 times
Quote:
I didn't even have a tube on the side I had an ovary and I still managed to get pregnant after my PCOS was treated. Furthermore, for the OP, treating PCOS could be helpful for the thread topic, "how to accept she can't have children," since hormonal problems with PCOS contribute greatly to a higher incidence of depression. Seems like a no-brainer all around to have the PCOS treated and not just the fertility issue, especially since treating PCOS can lead to fertility too.
I agree PCOS should be treated in most cases to lessen other symptoms (I didn't have to treat mine). I guess my point was that any doctor can manage the care - endocrinologist isn't necessarily the only one.

Treating PCOS allows better ovulation but without good tubes the odds are much lower. Though it is possible to get pregnant, it is also realistic for OP to consider IVF. I ovulate on my own AND have both my tubes open/intact and it still took years and a ton of effort for me to conceive. Sometimes the reason is multifactorial.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Thank you OhioChic. I find that people whoa re so negative and attack others are often unhappy with choices they've made. I did get some very nice support here and I do appreciate those who offered it to me.

I started this thread 2 weeks ago right after getting my bad news, but I have made wonderful progress with things since then, so I am feeling a bit better than I was 2 weeks ago. I came here for support as I had no one else to talk to, and while many attacked me, there were a few who very kind and offered me the support I was looking for. For those people, I thank them.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I agree PCOS should be treated in most cases to lessen other symptoms (I didn't have to treat mine). I guess my point was that any doctor can manage the care - endocrinologist isn't necessarily the only one.

Treating PCOS allows better ovulation but without good tubes the odds are much lower. Though it is possible to get pregnant, it is also realistic for OP to consider IVF. I ovulate on my own AND have both my tubes intact and it still took years and a ton of effort for me to conceive.

This is very true. While I was at the fertility doctor he had called my gyn to confirm something about my condition and she confirmed that my remaining tube was quite damaged. It was then determined with further ultrasound that even IUI had a slim chance of working. It's IVF or no treatment.

However, many people keep saying that if PCOS gets treated, then chance of fertility is better, which couldn't be more wrong in my case.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM

I should add that I would have to try IUI first since there is a slim chance of it working. They prefer to try the less invasive way first.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
You've had a step son since he was 3 weeks old. That's interesting, and quite insightful, to say the least.

You'd have to keep a child locked in the house without contact with the outside world for a child to not figure out he's missing a father!

The child will see friends have fathers.

Oh, trust me on this one. My child figured out her life was different from other kid's lives.

SHE brought it up and asked me why she didn't have a father when she was very young.
At least 50% of their friends won't have one of their biological parents living with them.

And what a kookie mentality...I want a dad bc everyone else has one! Ok...I'll buy that a kid will say that. Then it's everyone has a phone. Everyone has a new car. Everyone has...using this type of logic is no way to raise a kid and following this mentality is no way to live in the world...everyone is always going to seem to have something more or better.

The answer isn't to make sure that your kid can 'fit in' based on his possessions; rather teach him the value of the things he DOES have and not to place his self-worth on objects outside of himself.

Frankly, I think the odds are stacked against anyone who is a single parent just because a helpful and loving partner makes things so much easier. But not every couple is made up of two loving, committed partners. Or two good parents. I wouldn't do the kid on my own...I just don't think I have the strength or energy or time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy