Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,874 times

Advertisements

I also would advocate a hospital. I had my last child by midwife but in a hospital setting. I enjoyed all the advantages of a less stressful labor but was grateful we were there when my son had complications and the doctor stepped in. I've heard of some birthing centers being located in close proximity to a hospital and would see this as a good option as well. You need to balance your comfort with the very real possibility of unforeseen life-threatening complications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
Where I live there is a freestanding birth center that is minutes from the hospital. It seems like a good option to me, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I'll be having this one at the hospital again...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,158 times
Talk to your local midwives and ask for their advice - they are the ones who do the deliveries. Ask for some statistics on the local home birth rate, and any problems they have encountered.

You won't be able to have a home birth if any complications arise during pregancy, they will only allow the most straightforward births at home.

Also, think about the time/distance from your home to hospital, at rush hour, in case you changed your mind at any point!

My midwife had been attending and delivering home births in my area for 19 years and said there had never been a problem; in her experience, the only home births which had ended up in hospital were prolonged labors which needed more pain relief than they could give at home.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,185 times
I had wanted to have a homebirth for my 3rd child and chickened out. It can be overwhelming if you focus on what could possibly go wrong. If you remind yourself that most complications arise due to medical intervention in the hospital, it may put your mind at ease.

If you are considering a homebirth, I would also consult with a lay midwife as opposed to one that works in an ob's office. Lay midwives, while still having a lot of experience, tend to be less "medical". They also don't want any problems to occur so they will tell you if you are even a good candidate for a homebirth.

As for pain, I took a hypnobirth class and found that it helped a little. I think just being in your own relaxing environment, without all of the hustle and bustle and rules of the hospital helps a lot.

Read about it, do some more research...find out what the c-section rate in your local hospital is. If it is high, I would definitely give homebirth a chance.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,266 times
I've had two births in the hospital and they both went great. It wasn't hectic at all. However I did somewhat regret having medication.
With this one I'm going to do hypnobirthing. Took the classes and all. I have a midwife who was the one that recommended it and she is fantastic. I'm so looking forward to the calm relaxing environment. (even in a hospital!)

Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,740 times
Zebrashoes, I had my only child at home. The only person there with me was a male friend who was excited about my giving birth at home. The midwife didn't get there until 30 minutes after the baby was born. I was so well-read about he process I wasn't even freaked out that she wsn't there. I told my friend to "look up there" the next time I had a contraction and tell me what he saw. He said "I see hair!" I said that's it then, he's here". I beared down on the next push and out came the baby's head covered with wet, dark curly hair. i said to my friend "I don't have time to teach you how to guide out one shoulder and then the next, so I'm just going to try to push him out on the next contraction. My friend grabbed a towel and kneeled down like a catcher at a ball game. I bore down with all my might and out he popped! We wrapped him in the towel (slippery little tyke) and he never cried. Looked around, stared at me with such focus and made little grunting sounds like he was clearing his throat. I offered him my breast and he latched on, watching me piercingly all the time. No crying, no tears. I asked my friend for some scissors, cut the umbilical cord about 3 inches from his belly and tied a little dental floss around it. My friend was in heaven. He thought he'd just get to watch, not participate. Midwife came a few minutes later, pushed on my tummy, i had a mini contraction and the placenta came out. She studied it to make sure it was all there and then I asked her to wrap it up and put it in the freezer- I was going to eat it. I never did though, just looked to yuckky and I don't cook. Most amazing and fun day ever. No pain killers, not so much as an aspirin. The hardest part was fighting everybody who didn't want me to do it, including my 2 physician brothers. When my son's head was out I said to my friend, "This is so cool. I can't wait to do this again". Never had any more kids. More's the pity.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Zebrashoes, I had my only child at home. The only person there with me was a male friend who was excited about my giving birth at home. The midwife didn't get there until 30 minutes after the baby was born. I was so well-read about he process I wasn't even freaked out that she wsn't there. I told my friend to "look up there" the next time I had a contraction and tell me what he saw. He said "I see hair!" I said that's it then, he's here". I beared down on the next push and out came the baby's head covered with wet, dark curly hair. i said to my friend "I don't have time to teach you how to guide out one shoulder and then the next, so I'm just going to try to push him out on the next contraction. My friend grabbed a towel and kneeled down like a catcher at a ball game. I bore down with all my might and out he popped! We wrapped him in the towel (slippery little tyke) and he never cried. Looked around, stared at me with such focus and made little grunting sounds like he was clearing his throat. I offered him my breast and he latched on, watching me piercingly all the time. No crying, no tears. I asked my friend for some scissors, cut the umbilical cord about 3 inches from his belly and tied a little dental floss around it. My friend was in heaven. He thought he'd just get to watch, not participate. Midwife came a few minutes later, pushed on my tummy, i had a mini contraction and the placenta came out. She studied it to make sure it was all there and then I asked her to wrap it up and put it in the freezer- I was going to eat it. I never did though, just looked to yuckky and I don't cook. Most amazing and fun day ever. No pain killers, not so much as an aspirin. The hardest part was fighting everybody who didn't want me to do it, including my 2 physician brothers. When my son's head was out I said to my friend, "This is so cool. I can't wait to do this again". Never had any more kids. More's the pity.
YOur birth story is beautiful! It was actually my FEAR that the midwife wouldn't make it and she almost didn't. She had just enough time to kick off her shoes, pull on gloves and catch his head!

We do have a lot in common!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 PM

89 posts, read 536,786 times
Default birth is absolutely unpredicatable.

I have two wonderful children both born in hospitals. I have been interested in midwifery for years and worked as a doula several times- basically I am pretty informed. The statistics say that homebirth is just as safe as hospital birth, but the reality is that childbirth is unpredicatable. In a split second things can change with no warning. Most births go off uncomplicated- yes women have been birthing at home, in fields, in caves, etc, for thousands of years. Most of our bodies know what to do and how to do it. But not always. Both of my pregnancies were a breeze, I was in perfect health, not a complication or worry in sight!My daughter was born very peacefully, calmly, totally naturally. Unfortunatly even though it was a controlled delivery I almost tore through my urethra. I had to have a surgeon stitch me and lost ALOt of blood. My son was born in the same gentle way but could not breathe on his own. We didn't find out until later that it was just because he had inhaled amniotic fluid while in the birth canal.
Both births at home could have been disasters, even though I was a perfect candidate for homebirth. In my opinion it is not worth taking the chance with your life and the life of your baby.
Know your rights at the hospital. Communicate with your Doctor, Have a birth plan. Look into a labor assisant/doula. Just educate yourself on what is going to happen in/to your body while in labor and during delivery. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 PM

39 posts, read 154,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
WOW That is crazy.....my hat is off to you. So did you get a refund since you ended up delivering your own baby? Just kidding. But seriouslly that is inspiring to hear. I dont think I would have been quite that calm if my midwife had not shown up and the baby was crowning. I would have been freaking out! Hopefully though when the time comes I will have your courage.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
WOW That is crazy.....my hat is off to you. So did you get a refund since you ended up delivering your own baby? Just kidding. But seriouslly that is inspiring to hear. I dont think I would have been quite that calm if my midwife had not shown up and the baby was crowning. I would have been freaking out! Hopefully though when the time comes I will have your courage.
Thanks lipglossjunkie. Your right, we should have talked about some kind of price reduction
but I was just so happy I didn't even think about it. You know it really helped me understand how women all over the world could pop out a baby in a field and continue with what they were doing. I had so much energy! I was doing a load of laundry, putting food out for friends who were coming over to see the baby, arranging the nursery. I'd already taken a shower and got dressed. I coulda' jogged around Central Park. Once the baby was out it was like he'd never been in. When it was over it was COMPLETELY over. Everyone who came by expected to see me worn out and exhausted and I was running around and talking and acting it all out for everybody! What a great time! And you don't hear too many people say that about giving birth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy