Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,952 times

Advertisements

done

Last edited by cherry251; 02-10-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,952 times
Done

Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I don't agree with special parking spaces.

You CHOSE to become pregnant. You CHOSE to bring the newborn/toddler into the store with you. It was a choice and not an affliction, so therefore you don't deserve any sympathy, imo.
To bad someone's mom made that CHOICE

and what is with all of the posts just with the word Done in them? Are you just trying to be obnoixious or what?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I don't feel like I need or should be entitled to a special parking spot just because I'm pregnant. But the only place I've even seen such spots are in front of Babies R Us anyway, so it's not something that comes up a lot for me. I don't mind walking the same distance that I usually do.

I will agree with the person who says that cart returns need to be more convenient if I'm going to use them though. I will not leave my toddler alone in the car while I go walk to a far away cart return. Sorry.
I agree with you. I will not leave my child in the car to return a cart, for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, I park right next to an abandoned cart just for the sole reason of having it right off the bat to put my child in, but secondly so I don't feel guilty when I put it right back where I got it and leave!

Thirdly, if we all put our carts back, someone would be out of a job and in this economy , that would suck for that person. As much as it must suck going out and collecting carts, someone is getting paid to do it.

Quote:

You CHOSE to become pregnant. You CHOSE to bring the newborn/toddler into the store with you. It was a choice and not an affliction, so therefore you don't deserve any sympathy, imo.
Well then you probably are among those women who I see pull into the "mother and small child" parking spaces, jump out of her car, and go about her business w/no kid. Which is fine too as they are not legal parking designations. No big deal.

No one asked you for "sympathy" btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
To bad someone's mom made that CHOICE

and what is with all of the posts just with the word Done in them? Are you just trying to be obnoixious or what?
I know, really how many times does someone have to say "done"?

What gets me about the mother/baby spots is when they are located no where near the carts. Mothers and babies don't necessarily need to be up front, but do need to be near the carts.

I have only seen pregnant woman spots at Babies R Us and Target, places that pregnant women register for shower gifts. Hmmm, wonder if there is some kind of connection there.:t hink:

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,433,900 times
Quote:

It's not about sympathy, but about compassion and awareness.

That said, unless you've got a super tough pregnancy, then there is no reason to need a handicapped spot. Those who do could probably get a temporary permit from their doctors. Someone said that earlier, I know.

I also agree with those who've mentioned it being more difficult toting the little ones around. It certainly is, but then you figure it out and life goes on.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,880 times
If it is a private parking lot in my opinion the business has the right to reserve spots for whoever they want. Walking is good for those who are pregnant, but if they want to give them reserved parking spots no problem with me.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,454,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Maybe not for Pregnant women, but I think that there should be closer spaces for folks with infants - 4 yo. I don't know how many times I have seen people walking long distances with newborns in some pretty severe weather, or how many times I have seen toddlers dart from their parents grip out into the parking lot after they've walked pass a few parked cars. They also need to have shopping cart returns close to those designated spaces and handicapped spaces. I hate having 15 million shopping carts just stashed all over the parking lot and it seems that it's more parents of smaller children who do it because they don't want to 1) keep child in cart to walk it to a shopping cart return and then have to walk back to car with small child or 2) don't want to leave child in car alone while they walk a block to return a shopping cart. Same for the handicapped person, it is hard enough for some just to get to their car let alone hunt down a shopping cart return.
it the weather is that bad stay home or wait till someone can watch the kids. Pregnancy is not a handicap, if you can't walk, then get a permit. It's not like those spots are enforceable anyways.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
it the weather is that bad stay home or wait till someone can watch the kids. Pregnancy is not a handicap, if you can't walk, then get a permit. It's not like those spots are enforceable anyways.
Easier said than done for some folks. Sometimes a parent can't wait til the weather clears up or someone can watch the kid/s.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
I don't think that anyone is saying that a stork spot makes or breaks the deal when someone needs milk or bread or toilet paper, or even just wants to go look at baby clothes. If someone *needs* a close parking space, then they can probably qualify for a temporary handicapped sticker.

They're just a nice little perk, that's all. Kind of like when some stores offer you a plastic bag for your umbrella. The people with umbrellas can either say "thanks" and take it, or can say "no thanks" and not take it. The people without umbrellas typically do not have hissy fits and yell "but that's not FAIR! It's their CHOICE to carry a dripping umbrella! Why do they get a bag?? If they can't get in without an umbrella, they should just stay home until it stops raining!" If they really wanted a plastic bag, I'm sure they could get one, umbrella or no umbrella. After all, they're not enforceable. No one is going to go to jail for requesting an umbrella bag.

Don't people have drama in their own lives to worry about, instead of whether pregnant women do or do not get to park ten feet closer to the grocery store? Jeesh.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,990 times
I know, like there isn't anything more important to get angry and upset about than whether a business chooses to reserve a few parking spaces for expectant moms.

For the record, I don't leave my son in the car either when I return the cart. But I figure that if he made it from the store to the car in the bad weather he can make it for the extra 30 seconds it takes to load groceries and return a cart. Of course I am not over protective with him in the weather and he doesn't get sick very often. Carts being left all over are just a smaller pet peeve of mine. Not something I get upset over though, just a little irritated. They cause quite a bit of damage to cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy