Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:00 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,686,935 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with pregnant women getting a little break with parking spots closer to the door. I do take issue with carts not being returned simply because my vehicle seems to be a magnet for those left in the lot and I am getting a bit sick of dings and dangs all over it. Taking an extra 30 seconds or so to put the cart back is not going to kill anyone and is the considerate thing to do. We do still have considerate people in this country don't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,995,458 times
In Ireland, all of the supermarket parking lots have a special "family parking" area..usually next to the handicapped parking. It's not a big deal/issue/inconvenience to people there. A friendly courtesy of a little more space on the sides for mothers/fathers/grandparents trying to get a couple of kids out of car seats etc. I am so sad that Americans have become such a hostile and a "me vs. you society". No, pregnancy isn't a disability but I don't think it would kill anyone or to be more polite or considerate to anyone that might need a little more help or accommodation. It's not about the "entitlement" that I keep reading about, it's just not creating an issue out of a non-issue.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,131,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"I don't see where pregnancy should be considered a handicap."

Breitbart.tv » Should Moms-To-Be Get Parking Privileges?
Oh the last month is a killer.

I can see a temp. one for the last month of pregnancy if you have another injury that maybe the pregnancy aggravated- knee, ankle, hip, back etc.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,131,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
If businesses wants to offer pregnant women special parking spaces, then they have ever right to do so. When I was pregnant, there were a few times here and there where I was grateful for a closer parking space. I was healthy and active but after a long day at work on my feet, if I needed to stop by the grocery store it was appreciated
babies r us offers special spots for expectant mothers as well as the labor and delivery ER area usually.
I don't recall having any trouble with infants or toddlers, i really recall not wanting to walk 5 miles to the door of the store. I live in a very populated area and man oh man you have to park out in the boonies to get a spot.

Quote:
I will not leave my toddler alone in the car while I go walk to a far away cart return. Sorry.
Exactly. I just left the cart where i parked an gave the kids who collect them a smoke break away from the store while picking up the carts.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times
I almost never leave the cart next to my car. It ticks me off when I can't pull into a spot because carts are in the way, or when one of us can't open a door because somebody left a cart there. If there's nowhere convenient to leave the cart (no return space at all or it's very far away--at least one aisle), or if the weather is very bad, I'll leave it. I hate doing that, though. My car has been dinged up by carts blowing around in the wind, or by someone's car bumping into a cart that bumped into me. I've come back to my car twice to see a shopping cart wedged into my little car by some big SUV. Thanks, jerk.

I am probably the lone voice here, but I have no problem leaving my toddler in the car for the 20 seconds it takes to return a cart. Come on, folks, they're usually not very far away. Almost any big store--Target, Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowe's, grocery stores, Toys R Us--in any suburb is going to have a big parking lot with cart returns. Not all of them do, but most of them do, because they don't want carts all over the place.

I open the car door, put my son in his car seat, buckle him in, close the door, lock it, and take 30 seconds--tops--to return the car. What's going to happen? The car's not running. The child locks are on; he can't open his door. He's in my sight the entire time. What's he going to do, rip his seat belt off, jump into the front seat, jam a Pop-Tart into the cassette player, hotwire the Ford and go screeching away? No.

And leaving your carts all over the place doesn't give anybody a job. Come on. Grocery store baggers have plenty to do, and nobody is going to be laid off because you decided to be a good citizen and put your cart where all the big signs ask you nicely to put them. That kind of thinking excuses literring at the park because, "Hey, that gives some city workers something to do!"

Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM

515 posts, read 1,331,264 times
Those people saying it gives people a job are idiots. Get off your pedestal.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,231,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
In Ireland, all of the supermarket parking lots have a special "family parking" area..usually next to the handicapped parking. It's not a big deal/issue/inconvenience to people there. A friendly courtesy of a little more space on the sides for mothers/fathers/grandparents trying to get a couple of kids out of car seats etc. I am so sad that Americans have become such a hostile and a "me vs. you society". No, pregnancy isn't a disability but I don't think it would kill anyone or to be more polite or considerate to anyone that might need a little more help or accommodation. It's not about the "entitlement" that I keep reading about, it's just not creating an issue out of a non-issue.

Exactly! Other countries get it, why can't we??

It is a consideration! Yes pregnant women need exercise but so do "fat" people who are NOT disabled otherwise!

I don't know how they would make it work but I definitely think it should be allowed for women in their 3rd trimester only AND for families with children. It's so dangerous in the winter storms for a pregnant mom or a parent holding a child in their arms!

It shouldn't be a "handicap" spot rather a "courtesy" spot!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,070,063 times
Pregnancy is a choice women make, not a handicap. If the pregnancy is at risk and the woman shouldn't walk far, she shouldn't have a reason to park and walk anyway.

It always puzzles me how people can use handicapped parking at a mall or store, then go in and walk all over the place.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,018,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"I don't see where pregnancy should be considered a handicap."
I can't imagine a man could understand. Most pregnancies aren't 'handicaps' but some sure can be. Mine was so difficult I was hospitalized for the last two months and it was excruciating to walk past six months. It was something to do with my pelvic bones being too narrow and I had to have an emergency c-section. If I were driving then I'd have benefited greatly from a handicapped parking spot. But I think it was a rare case. Who knows, maybe not that rare.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,231,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Pregnancy is a choice women make, not a handicap. If the pregnancy is at risk and the woman shouldn't walk far, she shouldn't have a reason to park and walk anyway.

It always puzzles me how people can use handicapped parking at a mall or store, then go in and walk all over the place.
Being fat in MANY cases is also a choice. Not all but MANY!

I have a friend (what a friend I am for posting this ) who is like 300lbs. She has eaten like a pig since gradeschool. She is sooooo lazy and goes to McDonald's like every other day. Her family history is pretty clean when it comes to diabetes and blood pressure issues. Just this year she was diagnosed with both. Somehow the chick "looses" her job, gets on disability AND is given a handicap parking pass! What the H E * *????

Let's take it away from all the lazy chunky people who had no medical issues BEFORE they ate themselves into disability and give them all to the pregnant women AND families (that includes daddys with their kids)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy