Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I jack the cart up on the island that the trees are in. We have trees in parking lots out here and they have little curbs and i put the carts there so they don't roll anywhere because they can't. I have yet to see a cart just sitting in a parking space because where I live there are no OPEN parking spaces.

Not sure where you live, but where i live, leaving my kid in the car to return the cart to the front of the store or the nearest lot storage can be VERY far. Too far for comfort.
All right, I give you a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,234,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Then why are you always so angry and insultive to me?

I have said before. I hate the typed word. It doesn't sound the same as is intended?

I'm not mean or hateful or angry or insultive.

Some topics bother me. I mean, I know that maybe I should think "why would a healthy pregnant lady need a handicap parking if she chose to be pregnant?"

But instead I think, "wow, why even argue this subject, might as well allow it since it is something NICE."

Does that make sense? I don't know. I also said in posts that it is hard for me to type what I feel. My heart and head move too fast!!!

Basically, pregnant women are usually looked at as someone you want to protect. Why not just let them have a "courtesy" spot? Even if you don't agree with it, just allow it maybe?

That is what I meant with the overweight people. I don't personally agree that someone who DECIDED to eat alot and know they could get "fat" and knew it could cause medicial issues should be able to take a spot that a pregnant woman could possibly benifit from using.

I might not agree with it, but the other option is to take it away from a disabled overweight person. So I look at my options: 1. take it away from the heavy people because i don't agree or 2. Let it go because THAT opinion sounds kindof mean????

That is how we should look at the pregnant women. You could sound mean and say a pregnant women shouldn't be treated with extra courtesy because she is healthy, or you could just be nice and let it go. Especially if it isn't taking away from YOUR needs.

( I am also sorry if you took it as being mean. Not my intentions. It actually makes me sad. Sorry)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,073,267 times
Remember, not all handicapped people are obese. There is a multitude of handicaps that require a closeness to the door. I have a cousin who was in a car wreck and has been crippled for years. He can barely walk, has never complained, but really needs that space when he is hurting or has to use his chair. Should he take a space farther from the door so a pregnant woman can use that closer space? No.

It isn't my place to determine whether or not a pregnant woman should get a closer space, but until she gets out of the car, it's impossible to tell a woman is pregnant, so it doesn't make sense to relinquish my spot (Not handicapped, just like parking close as I can find an empty space, like everyone else.) just because a woman pulls up.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,283 times
Damn umbrella carriers and their freaking courtesy bags. I'm going to write a letter to my senator about the unfairness of it all! Wah!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Remember, not all handicapped people are obese. There is a multitude of handicaps that require a closeness to the door.

It isn't my place to determine whether or not a pregnant woman should get a closer space, but until she gets out of the car, it's impossible to tell a woman is pregnant, so it doesn't make sense to relinquish my spot (Not handicapped, just like parking close as I can find an empty space, like everyone else.) just because a woman pulls up.

Just using as an example. I know there are an array of types of disabilities. Including mental ones.

Just want to mention: I was a pregnant woman not so long ago. I always parked as far as possible to get the extra exercise.

I don't even think the "special" spot should be right up in front like the handicap ones. Maybe like 3 or 4 behind those ones. Especially in a BIG lot!

Night

Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,283 times
Quote:
Remember, not all handicapped people are obese. There is a multitude of handicaps that require a closeness to the door.

Is "your spot" the one with the red sign with the stork on it? If not, then you have no reason to relinquish. No one is saying that non-pregnant people should not park close to the store... people are arguing about the mere existence of one or two spots next to the handicapped spots that have a stork sign. You know, the ones that you probably wouldn't get even if they weren't stork spots, because they're close, and everyone who doens't feel like walking wants to park there?

Would it bother people if instead of 6 handicapped spots and 2 stork spots in front of the grocery store, there were 8 handicapped spots? Would anyone even notice? I doubt it!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Is "your spot" the one with the red sign with the stork on it? If not, then you have no reason to relinquish. No one is saying that non-pregnant people should not park close to the store... people are arguing about the mere existence of one or two spots next to the handicapped spots that have a stork sign. You know, the ones that you probably wouldn't get even if they weren't stork spots, because they're close, and everyone who doens't feel like walking wants to park there?

Would it bother people if instead of 6 handicapped spots and 2 stork spots in front of the grocery store, there were 8 handicapped spots? Would anyone even notice? I doubt it!

I must give you rep points alot. It seems that everytime I try it says I need to spread it around

Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,571 times
Quote:
Remember, not all handicapped people are obese. There is a multitude of handicaps that require a closeness to the door. I have a cousin who was in a car wreck and has been crippled for years. He can barely walk, has never complained, but really needs that space when he is hurting or has to use his chair. Should he take a space farther from the door so a pregnant woman can use that closer space? No.
I don't get it. We are talking about separate spaces for pregnant women, IN ADDITION to handicapped spaces, not replacing them. We're not talking about pregnant women parking in handicapped spaces, so your cousin would certainly park in his space and would have no competition from the pregnant women. The stork spots supplement, but do not replace, handicapped spots.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,135,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
YES disabled people need to park close. But so do pregnant women. Many places DO offer that, not just Baby's R Us.
Courtesy spots ROCK! But i don't think they should use the SAME spots as the handicapped. IN addition sounds just right!

I would hate to see women who are perfectly healthy with toddler in tow taking those spots from old people and really disabled people. I did choose to get pregnant and i know the last months suck, but people with real disabilities did not choose to have them.

If you are pregnant and it is aggravating another issue you may have (knee injury, hip injury etc...) i would hope your doctor would get you a temporary disabled placcard because of your injury.

Otherwise i think it would be nice to have courtesy spots, but you cannot ticket someone if they use it and aren't pregnant.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,135,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

That is what I meant with the overweight people. I don't personally agree that someone who DECIDED to eat alot and know they could get "fat" and knew it could cause medicial issues should be able to take a spot that a pregnant woman could possibly benifit from using.
So you SEE someone who is fat with a placcard, and assume that they got the placcard because they are fat or because their injury was aggrivated from being fat? You are not qualified to decide whether someone condition was aggrivated due to weight or not. Talk about judging a book by it's cover. That is one of thee most shallow comments i have seen on c-d.com.

That is like saying "Well you knew when you went skydiving that your parachute might not open and you could possibly break your back and neck- so now that you are a quadraplegic because you went skydiving you shouldn't get a placcard because you KNEW what you were doing could cause injury."
Replace the word skydiving with driving a car, diving into a pool, flying on a plane, or just about any other thing we do DAILY that could be dangerous to our health.
Nonsensical.

Last edited by Taboo2; 02-13-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy