Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
So where did you get your medical license to decide that because you SEE someone who is fat with a placcard, that they got the placcard because their injury was caused by being fat?

You are not qualified to decide whether someone condition was aggrivated due to weight or not. They don't just give them out for being fat I am pretty sure on that one.

That is like saying "Well you knew when you went skydiving that your parachute might not open and you could possibly break your back and neck- so now that you are a quadraplegic because you went skydiving you shouldn't get a placcard because you KNEW what you were doing could cause injury."
YOu can replace skydiving with driving, snorkeling, flying on a plane, or just about any other thing we do DAILY that could be dangerous to our health.
Nonsensical.

come on already! I didn't mean ALL!

How else do MOST people get "fat" then? Do they go to the doctor because they hadn't been feeling well for a while? Then when the doctor comes into the room and reads the results he/she says "I'm sorry Mr. Johnson but you have the fat?"

Many people do decide to over eat and not exercise and the result is exessive weight gain which leads to many other problems which leads to disability.

However. I am with above posters. I don't think that a pregnant woman should be able to "take away" a spot from a disabled/handicap person, whether it be obesity issues or not, I only believe there should be spots "in addition to."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Wow. Something is set aside for someone else as a courtesy, and you take it for yourself because she doesn't need it. I hope you're at least gracious when strangers touch your belly and ask when the blessed event will be.
Hey, I've been pregnant more than once and never asked for special treatment. I didn't even have a car the first time around, and I walked my happy fat arse over a mile to the grocery store when I needed to get food. Then I walked my happy fat arse back, carrying the bags, all the way up to the day before I popped out my first kid.

If you have a problem where you NEED a special space, get a temporary disability tag. Otherwise, pregnancy is NOT a disease or a disability. Billions of women have done it.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Hey, I've been pregnant more than once and never asked for special treatment. I didn't even have a car the first time around, and I walked my happy fat arse over a mile to the grocery store when I needed to get food. Then I walked my happy fat arse back, carrying the bags, all the way up to the day before I popped out my first kid.

If you have a problem where you NEED a special space, get a temporary disability tag. Otherwise, pregnancy is NOT a disease or a disability. Billions of women have done it.
You're an ace in my book. I love your posts, but alas, I can't rep you as often as I'd like.

This is great.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
You're an ace in my book. I love your posts, but alas, I can't rep you as often as I'd like.

This is great.
Well, I'm an acquired taste that most here cannot stomach. I don't tend to have much sympathy for whiny oh-poor-me people. :P This along with my habit of telling it how I see it doesn't garner me a lot of favor among the masses. (or the powers that be, for that matter! LOL)

Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
come on already! I didn't mean ALL!

How else do MOST people get "fat" then? Do they go to the doctor because they hadn't been feeling well for a while? Then when the doctor comes into the room and reads the results he/she says "I'm sorry Mr. Johnson but you have the fat?"
Many handicapped people GET FAT AFTER they are disabled.

The fact that someone may have an injury which LIMITS their ability to exercise and they eat the same amount of food they always have- can lead to weight gain.

It is not rocket science it is just common sense. I have seen people after injuries gain significant amounts of weight because their ability to BURN it off is very limited. Before they know it they are overweight which makes the injury harder to deal with i would assume.

If you have a serious hip or knee injury, how would you suggest you go about exercising wiht out damaging it even more?
One way would be in water so there would be no bearing of weight on it. Who has access to a pool? Well if you have money you can join a healthclub or swimclub. If you are poor? Well I guess you get fat.

Sometime there are no surgical options for injuries.
There are many factors that go into why people get or are fat while disabled. I don't see why you need to be judgemental about people you know nothing about.
They could say the same crap about pregnant women who can't keep their legs closed and then want a free ride with free parking spaced to boot.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Those people saying it gives people a job are idiots. Get off your pedestal.
I thought your were DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE..?

At least do what you say, will ya?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
I agree with you; however, why is it that the state of CA pays SDI for pregnancy? Isn't that sending a message that it is?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

If you have a serious hip or knee injury, how would you suggest you go about exercising wiht out damaging it even more?
One way would be in water so there would be no bearing of weight on it. Who has access to a pool? Well if you have money you can join a healthclub or swimclub. If you are poor? Well I guess you get fat.
There's a lot of upper-body exercises that will burn fat and really get your heart going

Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
There's a lot of upper-body exercises that will burn fat and really get your heart going
Yeah, just look at the upper bodies of some of those in wheelchairs!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
You don't read???

I said in a previous post it should be a "courtesy" spot NOT a "handicap."

BUT if a fat person who eats themselves into a "disabled" and "handicap" position, then a pregnant woman deserves a CLOSER spot before the gluttonus person for sure!!!!!

I agree with Beanandpumpkin. This is a waste of time. It is said that people want to argue about this!

What a sad place we live in. Selfish and mean people everywhere I turn. I know there are more good than bad though. I haven't given up on you all yet

Go ahead and badmouth. I'm done on this thread. How sad
This is just an incredibly crude post.

Yes some handicapped people are obese.

Some became obese because of their handicap.

Some became handicapped because they were obese.

I know people in both camps.

My aunt's husband is morbidly obese. Since my childhood he has always been a very large man.

He is now aging and cannot walk far, some days hardly at all. He has a handicapped placard. He has heart problems and diabetes, yes, partly because of his obesity. Yes, he is to blame for his obesity. Eating 4 McDonald's hamburgers and bringing 4 home for leftovers is disgusting, IMO, and helped get him there. He did not get there by eating healthy. However, he is the way he is and at this point, there is very little he can do about it. He is now on a diet and is upset because he is just not losing that much weight. My other uncle explained to him that eating less is not enough, he needs exercise, but because of his current medical condition exercise is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

You said a pregnant woman "deserves" a closer spot than the gluttonous person.

That is completely insensitive and IMO preposterous.

I have no problem with the stork spot, but I will not make judgments about the people who need a handicap spot and why, and compare them to pregnant women, who also choose to get pregnant, in a day and age when we have so many conveniences to make our lives easier.

Pregnant women are not incapable of walking. Stork spots are a nice courtesy, but that is it. They are a courtesy. There is little need for them. If a pregnant woman cannot walk in from the parking lot she needs to ask her doctor for a handicap placard, and then use the benefit of the handicap spots that she rightly deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy