Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,502,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
At least 5 years, unless you plan to have your baby raised by daycare.

Yes, so harsh... after all, early education is KEY.

Daycare/preschool beginning at the age of 4-6 weeks (as seems the consensus with so many career moms these days) really gives a child a leg up. If they can't learn to drool properly by the age of 7 weeks, they'll never learn to socialize properly.

As you can tell, that "early education" carp just gets on my nerves!

So many women hand their 1 month old babies over to a person/institution they have spent less than 30 minutes with/in, leave them there for 9-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 5+ years and then yank them out and throw them in a different school, with different before/after care and then WONDER why their children are suddenly having issues...

if you take your child away from it's PRIMARY CAREGIVER after 5 years, they are going to have problems. If you constantly change your child's daycare for 5 years, they will have problems bonding for life.

These things are the reasons so many mental disorders are being common... so many more kids are ADD or ADHD or depressed, etc now than they were 20/30/40+ years ago. Doctors do take these things into consideration, which is why most forms ask for a child's PRIMARY CAREGIVER vs parent's name. Most parents just put themselves down though, never realizing that their child actually spends more AWAKE hours (generally more than twice) with someone ELSE.

As to the OPs question... physically, it can take 18 months for your body to "bounce back". Some folks go back to work after a couple of days some never do.
Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,595,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
#1- Seemed to take forever to recover. She was a regular vaginal birth with NO complications. My mental state was just totally weird though. I had PPD and was regularly suicidal.
#2- Despite having complications and a very near C-section, I recovered fairly well. I was up and around pretty regular in a week. No PPD this time and that seemed to make a HUGE difference.

Yeah, I think for me it took more time to recover mentally than physically.
I wish I'd taken more time to get my head on straight before I jumped back into work, even though my body was ready to go-go-go.

Of course neither one of my birth experiences was precisely typical, in that I didn't have to care for a baby immediately after either one.
My first child was relinquished for adoption at birth, and my second was premature, and so small that he needed to stay in an isolette in the infant ICU for several weeks before I was able to take him home.

This made it easier on me physically (since I didn't immediately have to take on full responsibility for caring for a baby), but more difficult mentally, since in both cases I wanted my baby, and he wasn't there.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Oh RECOVERY....I thought you said vacation!? Trust me, no woman is on VACATION after giving birth. Recovery, OTOH depends on the woman, the birth etc etc etc. Everyone is different.

That's what I was thinking;the vacation was the past. Its sleep deprivation now.The nights of the walking dead.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM

321 posts, read 921,678 times
I had my one and only child at 40 - natural child birth - 24 hours of labor - went from 2cm to 9cm dilation in less than two hours when pitossin (sp) finally kicked in - went home 36 hrs later. Other than being exhausted and getting used to a new schedule - I did take 8 weeks leave from work and then slowly went back - working from home Mon & Fri and in the office T/W/T. Then eventually back full time.

As for c-sections - you can have natural birth even if you've had a c-section. The trends towards more c-sections is due to it being more convenient for folks. They can plan it, schedule it - I personally loved the excitement of the unknown. Hospitals/Dr's like to push them as well because they are more profitable (this is according to my midwife).

Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
I had my one and only child at 40 - natural child birth - 24 hours of labor - went from 2cm to 9cm dilation in less than two hours when pitossin (sp) finally kicked in - went home 36 hrs later. Other than being exhausted and getting used to a new schedule - I did take 8 weeks leave from work and then slowly went back - working from home Mon & Fri and in the office T/W/T. Then eventually back full time.

As for c-sections - you can have natural birth even if you've had a c-section. The trends towards more c-sections is due to it being more convenient for folks. They can plan it, schedule it - I personally loved the excitement of the unknown. Hospitals/Dr's like to push them as well because they are more profitable (this is according to my midwife).

I like to think it has more to do with danger to the baby and/or mother, even if only because the doctor and hospital want to avoid being sued for malpractice.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,915,153 times
With my first, I had mastitis twice and it took a good two months before I felt normal again. When I had mastitis the first time (about 11 days postpartum) I was very sick- all I did was feed the baby and sleep with him - I hardly had the energy to feed myself. I was worn out from that for weeks.

With my others, I felt better sooner.

I am a SAHM, and I am not sure when I would have felt like going back to work. With #1, at least 3 mos before I physically could handle getting up and working full-time, with the others sooner if I had to but definitely would not want to.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,073,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post

I had to have pitocin both deliveries. GOD I HATE THAT STUFF but it does work if you need it.

The only Women's Clinic in Muskogee, Oklahoma will not VBAC due to their insurance. It really is a bad thing but I guess THEIR costs are important also. Since they are the only game in town, they can make the rules. Yes there are other doctors that do deliveries...but they are not OB/GYN's. They are General Family Practices... not what I want catching my baby or sewing up my C-Section if I need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy